Omaha Central vs. Winnebago @ Ralston Arena 12/21

Cowboy Kermit

Alright, I know Isaiah Chandler is already committed for New Mexico, David Wingett has practically fallen off the face of recruiting earth since Winnebago's state title run, and I personally believe Roman Behrens is the most underrated recruit in Nebraska, and would have plenty of D1 offers to his name if he weren't as small as he is. Anyone in the Omaha area have any interest in this game? Might attend it? Saw online that the most expensive ticket is $8. This should be a great event for basketball in this state. 

8 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Roman Behrens is the most underrated recruit in Nebraska

I don't know anything about his game or ability but obviously as the coach's son he's probably has basketball IQ coming out his pores. I'm fully onboard with my Nebraska PGs and Centers theory and we should give him at least a look at some point.

47 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I don't know anything about his game or ability but obviously as the coach's son he's probably has basketball IQ coming out his pores. I'm fully onboard with my Nebraska PGs and Centers theory and we should give him at least a look at some point.

The former coach of Central, that is. Dad coaches Peru State: http://pscbobcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

5 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Dates are hard. The game is indeed tomorrow at 8 pm 

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Basketball IQ is off the charts. Midrange game and ability to drive to the rim is well beyond his years. He can knock down threes as well. 85% free throw shooter, and is also very crafty. Can draw fouls with ease. Crazy to think he's still only a junior. 

Edited by NebrasketballJake

35ff7bc67007a907501ca4ff560b1fa0.jpg Update: It was like watching an NBA game due to the lack of defense on both ends. Central controlled the game throughout, but Bago got to within 9 in the 4th quarter. Wingett had 40 and looked like the best player on the court. Roman Behrens had 30 for the Eagles. Crowd was very Winnebago heavy, but overall a good environment. Great game. Final Score: Omaha Central 97 Winnebago 86

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the game last night.... My initial thought - recruiting evaluation is really hard. Check that - it's really easy at the B1G/ACC/Big East/Pac10/B12 level. Those obvious guys speak for themselves. However, that next group right under them can make or break you as a program. There's guys down in that next tier that have potential to be special and real steals. Those same guys could also end up at an NAIA or a D2 and just be average. 

Isaiah Chandler -- My god that young man has improved dramatically since I first started watching him a couple years ago. What a steal by New Mexico. As I watched him run the floor and leap like a gazelle, I found myself asking, "what exactly does Jordy T. do better than this guy outside of just being a couple inches taller?" As far as I can tell, he's a true 6'9", still has baby fat on him, and has dramatically improved his work ethic and toughness. He catches lobs like a pro, has fantastic touch with both hands, good face-up moves from the mid-post, and I was very impressed with his willingness and ability to run out ahead in transition. That's a very tough spot for big dudes - often times they are willing, but not coordinated enough to catch and score when it's kicked ahead to them. Personally, I think UNO/Creighton/Nebraska missed here. This guy is a far better basketball player from a skill perspective than Jordy T. He may not have the same wing span or standing height, but he's far more coordinated, has much better touch, and jumps much, much better. Just my opinion. Hope I am wrong about the Jordy T./Chandler comparison (for NU's sake, anyways). 

David Wingett -- Quietly had 40 points last night. Haven't heard anything recently about his grades/transcripts/eligibility/recruiting. Can't make up my mind on this kid. Part of me wants to go all in and say that people should throw their hand in and gamble on him, but who knows. He reminds me so much of Connor Beranek from Ravenna/UNK. Game wise anyways - what I don't know is if the intangibles match with Connor. And that is not an indictment on David, I just literally do not know how they compare from a mental make-up standpoint. But he's got a nice game, and is all of 6'7" with room to grow and add onto his frame. Has tools to use from the rim to the NBA 3pt line. Lefty, too. He doesn't look like he's ever touched a weight in his life - which I do not like, because it really worries me what happens when he's got S&C coaches breathing down his neck all off-season (makes or breaks a lot of kids at the high D1 level). 

Roman Behrens -- This is the exact type of kid who I talk about in my opening. You could find a way to make Roman Behrens a part of a big time team. He could also just be an NAIA player. There's really that much variance in what he could be depending on what type of team you have and the needs you have. He is a true point guard. Pass first, great in transition, has the ball on a string, great court vision, fancy finisher, crafty footwork, etc... However, he's also small/skinny, not athletic in a traditional sense (does not play at or above the rim), and I have no idea if he could guard a Big 5 conference guard. He also does not seem overly confident in his 3pt shot (which is not what you want to see from a guy that is limited physically). But I've only seen a couple of games from him. He has serious game - and at some point you have to stop looking at the things he can't do, and really appreciate the things that he can do. Because there are plenty. If you had a really athletic team with a couple other scorers, and needed a dude who could push you in transition and deliver the ball on point and on time, while managing the game - he's your guy. But you'd be taking quite the chance on him from a physical standpoint. I do, however, think he has better skills, basketball IQ, and point guard awareness than a guy like Jalen Bradley from a few years ago - who's doing great at Oral Roberts. 

He is currently a senior...I am not saying Tupper is at the same level as Chandler, I simply do not know.  I am asking the Nebraska HS basketball addicts, that may know, whether they are similar.  The last good big man from Northeast went on and had a pretty good run at Creighton. 

Bison Red coach Nick Krenk, who is leaving the country after the month of tournaments, said Tupper has shown giant leaps in coordination, speed and shooting accuracy.

“He’s athletic and has improved so much offensively, I think his potential is at an all-time high,” he said.

Krenk, who coached at Johnson-Brock for seven seasons, is moving to Hamilton, Ontario, to coach and join his wife, who completed medical school there.

Pause
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Remaining Time -0:00
Stream TypeLIVE
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00
Fullscreen

00:00
Unmute
Playback Rate

“We have a lot of guys who are going to get noticed by NCAA Division II schools and a couple, like Trace, who will get some recognition from Division I schools now,” he said.

Tupper, a 6-foot-9 senior, scored six of his 19 points in the fourth quarter to help the Rockets earn a 59-44 victory over Lincoln Southeast on Thursday at Prasch Activities Center.  After Southeast trimmed the lead to 43-35 early in the fourth quarter, Tupper made a free throw and then got a dunk on a fast break and completed the three-point play. He had three of his five blocks in the final period, causing problems for the Knights' offense.

"You don't play against a guy like that very often. You don't see a guy who is 6-9 and athletic like that very often," said Southeast coach Jeff Smith. "He had five blocks and he changed at least five others. Our shot selection was very poor."

Edited by huskercwg

On 12/23/2016 at 4:20 PM, huskercwg said:

Compare and contrast Isaiah Chandler to Trace Tupper of Lincoln Northeast.  Tupper is averaging 17 points and 10+ rebounds per game.  Tupper is listed at 6'10"  240lbs.

AN17AJasXyauAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Haven't seen Tupper play this year. Will soon, hopefully. 

In comparison to Chandler - Chandler has better control of his body from a coordination standpoint. More touch and a bit more functionally athletic. From seeing Tupper in the past, I've been more impressed with Chandler's on court work ethic, body language, and engagement with his coaches/teammates, etc... 

Just my opinions - hate to be overly critical of 16-18 year old kids. Especially local ones. Those who would like to see the two compete against each other will get their chance on January 10th at 7:30pm @ Central 

Edited by basketballjones