uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 12 - Southern

uneblinstu

I realize the score was a little tighter than we were hoping, but I thought there were a lot of good things that happened today. Energy was a lot better. Southern had a couple really quality players and they played a little circus ball at times.

- Horne showed pretty well tonight, huh? It's a small sample size, but he does all the things Jack doesn't. Right now he's just a better basketball player. I think Jack is talented and will be a contributor down the line, but he's just not good right now on either end.

- Thought the stalwarts had decent nights. Not great, but solid.

- Ed didn't play much in the 2nd half. Defensive breakdowns, I think. Had a lot of success on the offensive end. Off night, I think.

- Liked that Jordy and Roby got to play a lot tonight.

- I want to see more of Jordy and Ed on the floor together.

- Not sure I've ever seen a team with eight fouls before the other team got their first.

- Sounds like practice yesterday was pretty physical.

- Taylor really is Benny Parker with about 6 more inches, isn't he? Thought he really played with the great effort from the open.

- Things are about to ratchet up. Conference play is here.

- I still think we're going to see more of what we saw the first eight games than we have the past four more often than not in conference play.

- It seems like when Creighton got up big to start the game a couple weeks ago that everyone went "here we go again". It knocked a little bit of the mojo from this team. I know they got back into that game, today I thought they got that back a bit. I don't expect them to beat Indiana, but after that, if they play like they're capable and have shown at times, they can have some success early in conference play. Anxious to see how they look in Bloomington. Hope they use this next week well.

Edited by uneblinstu

Not sure, but based on the way he started the year, Jack was a reasonable play. I think it was ok to let him try and work himself out of it. He's just all out of whack right now. We're to the point where ya gotta go with the guys that are getting it done. Thought Horne did it on both ends tonight. We'll see if he continues to get minutes under the bright lights. Hope so.

I could see this being a "got the monkey off our back" game of sorts. I went tonight, and at times it felt like another potential disaster awaited us. Although we didn't close until the very end, it seemed like a bit of an exhale for the team. They are done with finals, can enjoy Christmas break a little, then get ready for Indiana. We may have found our shooter in Horne who can also put it on the deck! I think we will see a UCLA-type effort in Bloomington. Let's see if our shots are falling and who knows what can happen. And I think Jordy plays a good chunk to try and neutralize Thomas Bryant.

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

We seem to have a lot less to say when we win

THIS!  Has bugged me and always will.  Sadly we live in a society where we would rather find negatives in things than positives.  I'm guilty of it just like anybody else, but it amazes me how many people come out of the wood works to kick us when we are down.  Did we play great tonight?  Probably not as well as we would like.  But the guys found a way to win vs a team that wasn't "terrible" by any means and made quite a few "garbage shots"  I thought the effort was WAY better than vs Gardner Webb. 

Kudos to Horne for having a big game for us.  Now, some on this board said they worried about guys like Watson losing his confidence and getting upset with the coach for not playing him.  Horne has barely played at all this year, comes in, does his thing and had a great game.  I love seeing that.  He could have felt sorry for himself (like many on this board I have a feeling would do) but instead he continued to work hard at practice, was given an opportunity and ran with it.  Now, he's not dropping 18 points for us every night, but hopefully he does give us a solid outside threat come B10 play. 

The fun begins now.  It won't be easy going to IU and Maryland to start the year, but I'm still excited to see this team grow.  I still think by the end of the year we will be a team that on any given night can knock off anybody. 

The minutes distribution doesn't really bother me as much as the lineups.  We saw Jordy and Ed once together this season, I believe, in the second half against KU--a half we won, and arguably our best half of basketball this season.  

I do realize we are a young team, but man... we have the ability to put a dominant, physical front court on the floor--one equally big and/or more athletic than any other team in the conference--and we're not doing it.  Instead, we're letting Jordy--statistically among our most efficient and productive players--take up minutes from arguably our best player in Morrow.  

I really, really want to see Jacobson and Turner in sparkplug roles.  I love their toughness and effort.  They would both be so pesky off the bench.  

10 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

- Taylor really is Benny Parker with about 6 more inches, isn't he? Thought he really played with the great effort from the open.

I think he might be a Benny Parker/David Rivers hybrid. It's probably a lot to do with teams that have run a guard at SF but here is a breakdown of record based on an arbitrary amount of time played

Evan Taylor 

15+ minutes played: 5-1

Less than 15 minutes: 1-5

10 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Not sure, but based on the way he started the year, Jack was a reasonable play. I think it was ok to let him try and work himself out of it. He's just all out of whack right now. We're to the point where ya gotta go with the guys that are getting it done. Thought Horne did it on both ends tonight. We'll see if he continues to get minutes under the bright lights. Hope so.

We are going to really like Horne by the time he is done.

The game was entertaining.  Southern had some good players and some of their made shots were, well, sort of lucky.  We seemed to play with a bit more continuity on the offensive end.  We play terrific defense, and then seem to have more than our share of breakdowns leading to easy baskets.

Obviously Jeriah played a wonderful game.  I would love to see him stay consistent with that shot.  I thought Evan and MJ played solid games.  I thought Ed, Tai, Jordy and Isaiah had their moments, but also struggled at times. 

Ready or not, the Big Ten season is upon us.  We shall see if we can continue to grow exponentially the remainder of the season.

49 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I think he might be a Benny Parker/David Rivers hybrid. It's probably a lot to do with teams that have run a guard at SF but here is a breakdown of record based on an arbitrary amount of time played

Evan Taylor 

15+ minutes played: 5-1

Less than 15 minutes: 1-5

That's an interesting point of view. Definite glue guy. Does the right things on the court. Tough. Dependable. Hard worker.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

We seem to have a lot less to say when we win

Now I'm worried. If we go 18-0 in B1G play, the board may fade away.

Agree with comment that it felt like an exhale game. Hopefully a few days off will get the guys going again. And was really encouraged by Gill - very active. That kind of performance/effort from him going forward will be a big benefit.

Don't want to talk too much about the game bc I still have a lot of worries/ still troubled by the previous game. But big shout out to Horne. He's always on social media tweeting about sticking with the process and working to get better, so it was awesome seeing him have a huge game and make clutch plays.

7 minutes ago, khoock said:

Don't want to talk too much about the game bc I still have a lot of worries/ still troubled by the previous game. But big shout out to Horne. He's always on social media tweeting about sticking with the process and working to get better, so it was awesome seeing him have a huge game and make clutch plays.

51 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Yep...

At least those who are usually negative post negative things still after a win.  

We lose half half our board activity and 3/4ths of our new threads when we win!

They were lined up waiting to for the BIG L. but they had to go away.

16 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I did not get to watch the game last night - what was the pace like? Did we look good in transition? Because we certainly did not shoot all that great, but 81 points is nice. I saw they turned it over 16 times, but we had 13... So pace and early looks must have been decent, right? 

i was working the game, attendance was sparse throughout the building, from the action i did see, we looked ok, but still issues in transition with finishing, still issues with our interiors putting the ball on the floor in the paint (along with their wrist/hand strength this is so maddening) and glynn having some tunnel vision. But we captilized on some good looks and overcame some silly mistakes for a much needed W

18 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

i was working the game, attendance was sparse throughout the building, from the action i did see, we looked ok, but still issues in transition with finishing, still issues with our interiors putting the ball on the floor in the paint (along with their wrist/hand strength this is so maddening) and glynn having some tunnel vision. But we captilized on some good looks and overcame some silly mistakes for a much needed W

Good summary.  To add to it, pace was definitely better.  Coach even mentioned it in the post game.  Looked better in transition but still made some silly mistakes.  Turnovers were bad in the first half (9), better in the second but agree with our bigs bringing it down too much.

Most impressive thing to me was when Southern went on a run to start the half and we went down by 4.  Miles called timeout and you could feel the entire building had a sense of impending doom, like "here we go again".  I guarantee the team had to feel it too.  They came out of the timeout with energy and were the aggressors the rest of the game.  I was really happy to see it and could later in the season be a point to look at as part of getting over the hump.  We could have very easily come out and laid an egg but instead the team found the will to win and made it happen.

Side note, they made some of the luckiest/craziest shots to stay in the game and keep it close.  It felt to me like we outplayed them and should have had a margin of 15+ points but those types of shots kept us from separating.  Was nice to see us pull it out despite that.

44 minutes ago, Buglem said:

Good summary.  To add to it, pace was definitely better.  Coach even mentioned it in the post game.  Looked better in transition but still made some silly mistakes.  Turnovers were bad in the first half (9), better in the second but agree with our bigs bringing it down too much.

Most impressive thing to me was when Southern went on a run to start the half and we went down by 4.  Miles called timeout and you could feel the entire building had a sense of impending doom, like "here we go again".  I guarantee the team had to feel it too.  They came out of the timeout with energy and were the aggressors the rest of the game.  I was really happy to see it and could later in the season be a point to look at as part of getting over the hump.  We could have very easily come out and laid an egg but instead the team found the will to win and made it happen.

Side note, they made some of the luckiest/craziest shots to stay in the game and keep it close.  It felt to me like we outplayed them and should have had a margin of 15+ points but those types of shots kept us from separating.  Was nice to see us pull it out despite that.

The game would go on and I would look up and think we have to be up at least 10, no down 2.  It was weird.  And if some of our guys had to make a couple of their 3 point shots that game of H-O-R-S-E would have been over quickly.