Question for the board - Marc Boehm

I'm in a text group that bitches/complains/whines/sometimes mockingly celebrates about Nebrasketball all day (it's what we do, leave us a lone). Someone brought up that the first guy that should "go" before anyone else is Marc Boehm. This is purely a question - What is some people's obsession with MB? I've literally never met the guy, never heard him speak, and couldn't pick him out of a line-up if someone was paying me to. Is this just a, "he's the only linking factor behind all of Nebrasketball's failures between failed coach and current failing coach," sort of issue? 

Do people think there's a culture issue? Is that something MB would have an impact/influence over? I've "been around" the program since Miles has been here plenty (not much in the past couple years, admittedly) - and I've never seen issues with "culture" and certainly never seen Boehm's finger prints all over things. Again, couldn't even tell you who the guy is if I had to. 

Thoughts?

Yes. I was surprised he survived the original cleaning house of all things Stevie P, and that's been nearly a decade ago now.

Can't say I know what he does at a high level - he may have done scheduling at one point but I think Miles handles that himself now? Not sure how much of a say, if any, he has in coaches' hirings, bringing on assistants, creating a spot for Ali, setting basketball budget, etc., although I would assume those are the kinds of things he'd be involved with, just based on his job title - at the very least providing recommendations to Eichorst.

Edited by throwback

I have a hard time blaming Boehm for the state of the basketball program. He didn't hire Miles. The person who hired Miles has already retired, and, in my opinion, unless the basketball team/staff weren't being given everything they needed to succeed, I'd be very hesitant to blame someone like Boehm.

If this program succeeds right now, I'll credit Tim Miles and his staff. If it doesn't, I'll blame them. This is on Miles, and ultimately on Osborne, whether good or bad.

17 hours ago, Hooper said:

I have a hard time blaming Boehm for the state of the basketball program. He didn't hire Miles. The person who hired Miles has already retired, and, in my opinion, unless the basketball team/staff weren't being given everything they needed to succeed, I'd be very hesitant to blame someone like Boehm.

If this program succeeds right now, I'll credit Tim Miles and his staff. If it doesn't, I'll blame them. This is on Miles, and ultimately on Osborne, whether good or bad.

Actually, it's on Devaney because he's the one who hand-picked Osborne to take over the football program when he became AD.  So ...

(Seriously, though, why do you have to bring Osborne into this?  If he succeeds or fails, why isn't it simply on Miles?  Do you really think hiring head coaches is so exact of a science that the failure of a particular team to thrive falls "ultimately" at the feet of the AD who hired the coach?)

Edited by Norm Peterson

On 12/20/2016 at 7:00 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Actually, it's on Devaney because he's the one who hand-picked Osborne to take over the football program when he became AD.  So ...

(Seriously, though, why do you have to bring Osborne into this?  If he succeeds or fails, why isn't it simply on Miles?  Do you really think hiring head coaches is so exact of a science that the failure of a particular team to thrive falls "ultimately" at the feet of the AD who hired the coach?)

This is mostly on Miles, but the reality of being an AD or a boss in any profession is that, whether your hires experience success or failure, you either get credited positively or partially blamed. In all honesty, I felt at the time that Tim Miles was an excellent hire by TO and would not throw TO under the bus if the Miles era ends with a termination. He rolled the dice on an up-and-coming young coach from a lower level of competition, and, while that comes with inherent risks, it's generally the reality of the way a program like Nebraska has to operate. 

I don't want too much emphasis put on TO in this whole thing, but he'd certainly bear more responsibility than Marc Boehm in my view. Ultimately, though, we're in agreement that this is on Tim Miles.

Edited by Hooper

Coach Anwar is now on a North Texas staff that is lead by Head Coach Tony Benford.  Note that he lost his mustache.  Of course Tony was an assistant at Nebraska from 2006 to 2008.

David  Anwar

Gotta love this paragraph in Anwar's bio:

The Huskers also showed the ability to score from long distance in 2009-10, as Eshaunte Jones (40-of-92, 43.5 percent), Ryan Anderson (54-of-126, 42.9 percent) and Brandon Ubel (11-of-21, 53.4 percent) helped Nebraska set a school record and rank 15th nationally in 3-point percentage (39.7 percent).

Edited by huskercwg