Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues (2017)

6 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

And Gottfried may be a good coach but still has a faintly "loser" aura about him, not exactly what the program here would need if the AD decides to make a move. I still think TM should have another year here, but it would help if we at least win one game in the tournament.

Loser aura?  The guy has had 2 losing seasons in 22 seasons.  As far as Miles goes, what leads you to believe next year will be that much different than this?

So @Norm Peterson alluded to this in a thread a few weeks ago, but:

1. What are your expectations for Nebraska basketball (to be considered successful)?

2. How many years do you expect a new coach to achieve this?

3. How many years do you give that coach to achieve this before making a change?

And what about Miles?

1. What are your expectations for Nebraska basketball (to be considered successful)?

2. How many more years do you expect Coach Miles to achieve this?

3. How many more years do you give Coach Miles to achieve this before making a change?

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Tai Webster Fr-Sr jump...

Now think... Jack, Glynn, Ed, Jake (SO). Roby, Jordy, Horne (FR)

Tai- great improvement

However-

Pitchford?

Hawkins?

Biggs?

Vucetic?

White?

Fuller?

Hammond?

We have missed, or failed to see through or improve on quite a bit of players as well...

Edited by ConkTrifecta3

Only name I've seen mentioned here that I don't like is Gottfried...he is a good recruiter, but basically every nationally ranked kid he signed while at nc was from the mid atlantic/coastal plains region. A lot of talent out there to gobble up even for a middle of the road ACC program. Not sure he could replicate the level of recruiting success here in Nebraska/ big ten country. While at Alabama he did have moments of true success, his tenures at both programs fizzled out in similarly unspectacular fashion, and for the level of talent he had these last couple years his teams sorely underachieved. I don't think he is right for the job

Just now, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Tai- great improvement

However-

Pitchford?

Hawkins?

Biggs?

Vucetic?

White?

Fuller?

Hammond?

We have missed, or failed to through or improve on quite a bit of players as well...

Pitchford (No will- Quit basketball)

Hawkins (Left after 1 year... can't make valid argument)

Biggs (Was here a grand half a year before leaving the team... not a valid argument)

Vucetic (Was a quick sign... always going to be a project.  Never happened... transferred so we don't know.)

White (would have been fine... was a me me guy.  Left the team

Fuller (Great glue guy.  Was never going to be a star player.  I fee that e has developed.  His ceiling was never as high as Tai or our Fr and So)

Hammond (Left the team.  I have no doubt he would have improved as well.)

A lot of your arguments are not valid to me personally.  Fuller is really the only one who has given it 4 full years here and if you can't see improvement (though minimal) you are blind.  So I say again... this group, provided it stays together... will improve..

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Pitchford (No will- Quit basketball)

Hawkins (Left after 1 year... can't make valid argument)

Biggs (Was here a grand half a year before leaving the team... not a valid argument)

Vucetic (Was a quick sign... always going to be a project.  Never happened... transferred so we don't know.)

White (would have been fine... was a me me guy.  Left the team

Fuller (Great glue guy.  Was never going to be a star player.  I fee that e has developed.  His ceiling was never as high as Tai or our Fr and So)

Hammond (Left the team.  I have no doubt he would have improved as well.)

A lot of your arguments are not valid to me personally.  Fuller is really the only one who has given it 4 full years here and if you can't see improvement (though minimal) you are blind.  So I say again... this group, provided it stays together... will improve..

My examples i provided lead me to believe that odds are this group wont stay together...thats part of my point. You can ride the improvement of Tai all you want, and i wont disagree with you there- but who else?

42 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Tai- great improvement

However-

Pitchford?

Hawkins?

Biggs?

Vucetic?

White?

Fuller?

Hammond?

We have missed, or failed to see through or improve on quite a bit of players as well...

One HAS TO keep in mind that a coach coming in late has to have bodies.  That may require taking a couple reaches each of the first couple classes.  The names on this list are just that.  I think if you look at the current roster you will find less of these kind of kids.  It would be hard to know if White improved, he bailed.  Biggs had talent, that was not his issue.  Pitchford had talent, again not his issue.

If there is a coaching change, the only candidates Eichorst will consider are those who fit and coach by the Energy Bus principles.

• 1. You’re the Driver of the Bus.
  • 2. Desire, Vision and Focus move your bus in the right direction.
  • 3. Fuel your Ride with Positive Energy.
  • 4. Invite People on Your Bus and Share your Vision for the Road Ahead.
  • 5. Don’t Waste Your Energy on those who don’t get on your Bus.
  • 6. Post a Sign that says “No Energy Vampires Allowed” on your Bus.
  • 7. Enthusiasm attracts more Passengers and Energizes them during the Ride.
  • 8. Love your Passengers.
  • 9. Drive with Purpose.
  • 10.Have Fun and Enjoy the Ride.

Any coach that doesn't have a positive style that fits these principles will not be considered. Guys who are yellers or behave in a negative way toward players/officials/fans, etc, -- i.e., energy vampires -- will not be considered.

Now that said, Calipari is one of the biggest Energy Bus proponents/spokespeople, so jayschool may have been on to something earlier....

Edited by throwback

37 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Tai- great improvement

However-

Pitchford?

Hawkins?

Biggs?

Vucetic?

White?

Fuller?

Hammond?

How did Pitch or White not improve?

The sort of improvement you will see with Tai is extraordinary.  It was a combination of him having high end athletic ability, putting the time in on his shot, and his overall commitment to getting better.

40 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Now think... Jack, Glynn, Ed, Jake (SO). Roby, Jordy, Horne (FR)

Compare and contrast the athleticism of these guys vs our early HS recruits like Hawkins, Vuceitc, Fuller, and Hammond.

Doesn't it seem likely that the majority of them possess the raw potential that Tai had? Doesn't it seem like some of them have already progressed in their short time?

Every player should improve.  Has not been even close to resembling that here.  We certainly have not improved as a team during any seasons since Smith left, even though that could be merely coincidental, as many here think Molinari is as good.  I think Miles having him as right hand man has been a disaster.  

7 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Hardware like multiple Bowl victories and Division titles? 

Oh geez....yes, that's exactly what I mean.  But, we all know the lunatic pants pisser wasn't only fired for his on the field performance.  But, if it actually comes down to wins/losses I guess that doesn't make a good case for you when/if you get angry if Eichorst lets Miles go. 

If we lose to Penn St. on Wednesday, I'd be equally on board with Miles returning, OR:

1.  Thad Matta (if fired).  GREAT coach.  Only 49.  The past two OSU seasons are a complete fluke, and if they get rid of him, we would be idiotic not to get him.  He's an ELITE coach, in my opinion.  The roster he has now has great individual talent--they're just not wired for team ball.  It's odd.  Please God fire him.  We'd get a tournament win next season.  

2.  Mark Gottfried.  Excellent coach, very good recruiter, proven winner.

waaay below these two...

3.  Tom Crean.  He'd bring an offense.