Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues (2017)

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Can't speak much on the women's bball situation as I don't really follow it, but I wouldn't say SE messed up with football. Bo had to go and Riley seems to have been a solid hire (not a grand slam by any means but at least an upgrade). He's recruiting better and surrounding himself with respected and sought after assistants. Kinda sounds familiar right lol.

I want to see what Tim can do next year but I think he's sealed his fate with four straight blowouts and the largest home defeat in school history. We'll probably know by the end of the week.

Bo didn't have to go. MR is mediocre and is certainly not an upgrade which will be shown in the coming years. Recruiting is in line with what we have seen in previous years. 

WBB is a complete disaster and there was no need to fire Yori as the issue could have been worked out similar to what was done with Coach W's 3rd DUI. 

If 4 straight blowout losses is strike against TM then what about the first coach in 20yrs to get us to the NCAA? Shouldn't that be a point of goodwill?

12 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Bo didn't have to go. MR is mediocre and is certainly not an upgrade which will be shown in the coming years. Recruiting is in line with what we have seen in previous years. 

WBB is a complete disaster and there was no need to fire Yori as the issue could have been worked out similar to what was done with Coach W's 3rd DUI. 

If 4 straight blowout losses is strike against TM then what about the first coach in 20yrs to get us to the NCAA? Shouldn't that be a point of goodwill?

But the ultimate demise of Pelini as NU coach, Osborne said Thursday, showed the tricky part of being an athletic director and looking outside of your own programs for coaching hires.

“I took a chance on Bo Pelini,” Osborne said. “Bo won a lot of games, but I didn’t really know probably enough about his character, and some of those things jumped up and bit him and bit the program.”

Miles should absolutely get some good will for leading the program to a NCAA appearance.  But, if you don't capitalize off that appearance...what good really did it do?  The three years since that appearance have been absolute disasters. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

But the ultimate demise of Pelini as NU coach, Osborne said Thursday, showed the tricky part of being an athletic director and looking outside of your own programs for coaching hires.

“I took a chance on Bo Pelini,” Osborne said. “Bo won a lot of games, but I didn’t really know probably enough about his character, and some of those things jumped up and bit him and bit the program.”

That was after the fact and it is missing everything TO said about the firing such as, "Going outside and hiring unknown quantities, he said, can sometimes be like “throwing darts.” This was a veiled reference to the hiring of MR. He also spoke glowingly about Bo and his character, " Osborne said his players seemed to like playing for him. Pelini knew football and ran a clean program. The academic standing of his players was sound." 

Most have a hard time reading between the lines when TO speaks. I don't fault you for missing the context.

7 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

That was after the fact and it is missing everything TO said about the firing such as, "Going outside and hiring unknown quantities, he said, can sometimes be like “throwing darts.” This was a veiled reference to the hiring of MR. He also spoke glowingly about Bo and his character, " Osborne said his players seemed to like playing for him. Pelini knew football and ran a clean program. The academic standing of his players was sound." 

Most have a hard time reading between the lines when TO speaks. I don't fault you for missing the context.

“There were a lot of good things about him, but he didn’t relate well to the press, and in many cases did not relate well to the fans,” Osborne said. “And so those were the things that were not as good. So, end result I think that it didn’t work out as well as I had hoped.

“So these things are the things that always make hirings hard.”

You left this part out.  Most important, the bolded part.  No need to read between the lines, I'll take Osborne at his word.  Pelini had character issues that hurt our program, we all know this.  TO was just pointing out the obvious while also mentioning the hire did not work out as well as he hoped. 

46 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Yori had to be let go, no ifs ands or buts. I'm actually surprised they kept KW on staff, shows what runs this state. 

4 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

“There were a lot of good things about him, but he didn’t relate well to the press, and in many cases did not relate well to the fans,” Osborne said. “And so those were the things that were not as good. So, end result I think that it didn’t work out as well as I had hoped.

“So these things are the things that always make hirings hard.”

You left this part out.  Most important, the bolded part.  No need to read between the lines, I'll take Osborne at his word.  Pelini had character issues that hurt our program, we all know this.  TO was just pointing out the obvious while also mentioning the hire did not work out as well as he hoped. 

Like I said you lack an ability to read between the lines of what TO was saying. Many do. Don't feel bad. 

First off the press was trying to draw this drama out a bit longer and TO wasn't having any of it. 

He said just enough to make the bloodthirsty press and fan base happy and nothing more. He also praised Bo in how he ran the program. At the same time he also provided a nice backhanded slap to both the press and the fan base. He mentioned Bo's character without adding a negative qualifier. TO in essence said that Bo's personality didn't mesh well with the fan base or press. That is why he talked about the importance of hiring a known quantity and why brought up Frank Solich into the discussion. 

Bugeaters what makes you say no?  I gave my reasons as to why I think it is now.

I just think that since Norm left, that it has steadily fallen off. It's hard to replace a legend like we are trying to do with the football team. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just now, Bugeaters1 said:

I just think that since Norm left, that it has steadily fallen off. It's hard to replace a legend like we are trying to do with the football team. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh I think I we are agreeing on this.  I transposed something wrong there.

53 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

No she didn't. Yori was the target of a smear campaign by some butthurt people. 

Gotta be honest. I don't disagree with you (as the dust has settled). I have been around Yori quite a bit. Seen plenty of practices, plenty of camps... She's just a hard-ass and an A-type personality. Never got "mean/evil/unethical/neglectful, etc..." out of her. She was just a TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH lady and Great Coach. And hell, she won. 

• 2 years later...