Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues (2017)

6 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Oh geez....yes, that's exactly what I mean.  But, we all know the lunatic pants pisser wasn't only fired for his on the field performance.  But, if it actually comes down to wins/losses I guess that doesn't make a good case for you when/if you get angry if Eichorst lets Miles go. 

He was fired because he made scrunchy face and didn't suffer fools.

Yeah because our multiple National Championship winning football program and basketball program are exactly the same thing and should always be compared when talking about a long history of winning and how expectations should be managed. I'm pretty sure I've explained this to you before. 

1 minute ago, Cazzie22 said:

Is the NU job more attractive than Missouri?

If you're willing to pay more for a coach than they are. I think they're otherwise similarly attractive, but Mizzou, I think, most cosider would have the edge, perhaps a considerable one, if all things are otherwise equal.

Edited by uneblinstu

If we lose to Penn St. on Wednesday, I'd be equally on board with Miles returning, OR:

1.  Thad Matta (if fired).  GREAT coach.  Only 49.  The past two OSU seasons are a complete fluke, and if they get rid of him, we would be idiotic not to get him.  He's an ELITE coach, in my opinion.  The roster he has now has great individual talent--they're just not wired for team ball.  It's odd.  Please God fire him.  We'd get a tournament win next season.  

2.  Mark Gottfried.  Excellent coach, very good recruiter, proven winner.

waaay below these two...

3.  Tom Crean.  He'd bring an offense.  

Would the contract of Matta have something in it to where he couldn't coach at a school in the big ten, Or would that not matter?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

He was fired because he made scrunchy face and didn't suffer fools.

Yeah because our multiple National Championship winning football program and basketball program are exactly the same thing and should always be compared when talking about a long history of winning and how expectations should be managed. I'm pretty sure I've explained this to you before. 

Yeah, nowhere did I compare the two.  We certainly don't ask as much from our basketball program/coaches than we do the football program/coaches.  That doesn't mean Tim Miles isn't failing.  In fact, with the outcome on the court....he has given Eichorst quite the firepower if he were to make a move at this point. 

9 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm no coaching career expert, but I'd say based on conference alone Big Ten >>> SEC. It might be a different answer if Missouri was still in the Big 12.

15 years ago or whatever it was when Norm was wandering the sidelines for Missouri I would have not only said no, but hell no.  Now I am not sure Missouri is a better gig.  They have a nice new area, but PBA is every bit as nice if not nicer.  Big 10 is indeed >> $EC.  Looking at the two rosters, I would say we have more talent (although whomever comes in at Missouri will have some nice pieces to work with) and finally, how many butts did we have in the seats on SR night?  Boys and I went to SR here last Tuesday night and could have sat three rows from the court had we wanted to be that close.  Oh and their fans leave early too.

Edited by colhusker

12 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Would the contract of Matta have something in it to where he couldn't coach at a school in the big ten, Or would that not matter?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would highly doubt it if he's fired.  I don't think he would be able to leave on his own for another B1G school, but firing typically results in cutting all obligations.  If the claim behind a firing is that the coach isn't good enough, who cares where he lands?  

Matta would understand the talent we have on our roster.  It would be an absolute steal.  I actually feel similarly about Gottfried, but not as strongly.  Matta is only a half step down from Bill Self or Coach K or Izzo.  I think that highly of his coaching.  

11 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yeah, nowhere did I compare the two.  We certainly don't ask as much from our basketball program/coaches than we do the football program/coaches.  That doesn't mean Tim Miles isn't failing.  In fact, with the outcome on the court....he has given Eichorst quite the firepower if he were to make a move at this point. 

Actually you did compare the two. Failing as a Nebraska Basketball coach is the norm not the exception and if you compare TM to the previous two coaches he would not be considered a failure. SE is not very bright and he will certainly find a way to muck this up badly as he did for his previous two coaching hires. He has already put himself in a bad position by not renewing TM contract last year. He either has to fire him or extend his contract. I believe he is going to fire him and we will be right back here again in 4-5yrs.

Okay let's switch this up a bit.  Tim doesn't get fired right now, but somebody does get canned and we think it is an upgrade.  

Who could that be that would maybe get an offer and then have Tim removed if that coach said yes.  HMMMMMMMMM?:blink:

I know this is a bit back doorish but weirder things have happened right?

Edited by Silverbacked1

19 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Actually you did compare the two. Failing as a Nebraska Basketball coach is the norm not the exception and if you compare TM to the previous two coaches he would not be considered a failure. SE is not very bright and he will certainly find a way to muck this up badly as he did for his previous two coaching hires. He has already put himself in a bad position by not renewing TM contract last year. He either has to fire him or extend his contract. I believe he is going to fire him and we will be right back here again in 4-5yrs.

I'm not comparing Miles to the previous two coaches, I'm comparing him to his peers.  And his record within the Big 10 and more noticeably, his record in the second half of the Big 10 over the last three years point to him failing.  I'll wait to hold judgment on Eichorst's hire if he fires Miles.  If he doesn't fire Miles, then I will hope for a big sixth year to put the coaching rumors to rest.   

2 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Tai- great improvement

However-

Pitchford?

Hawkins?

Biggs?

Vucetic?

White?

Fuller?

Hammond?

We have missed, or failed to see through or improve on quite a bit of players as well...

I believe I settled this question many moons ago.

There should be a thread entitled something like "Miles doesn't develop players and other myths" on here somewhere.  Maybe that's not what I called it.  Can't remember.  But I went through all the guys Miles has had who were 4-year players and looked at their improvement over time.

http://fox11online.com/sports/college/bo-ryan-hasnt-ruled-out-return-to-coaching

(ringing phone) Shawn Eichorst: “Bo, this is Shawn. Remember all those great years we had working together at Wisconsin? You didn’t seem too sure you were really ready to retire … what do you think about coming to Nebraska and starting here what you completed at Wisconsin? Barry said he didn’t mind and wouldn’t feel betrayed at all.” 1f642.png

25 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I'm not comparing Miles to the previous two coaches, I'm comparing him to his peers.  And his record within the Big 10 and more noticeably, his record in the second half of the Big 10 over the last three years point to him failing.  I'll wait to hold judgment on Eichorst's hire if he fires Miles.  If he doesn't fire Miles, then I will hope for a big sixth year to put the coaching rumors to rest.   

It seems that SE is waiting until after we are done playing in the BIG Tourney before he does anything. This is a good thing for TM.

I've heard TM talking about college basketball being 3 seasons. Hopefully his players buy into that mentality. 2 or 3 wins would go a long ways towards helping his cause.

If we are 1 and done, which is a real possibility, then I think TM will be fired.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Can't speak much on the women's bball situation as I don't really follow it, but I wouldn't say SE messed up with football. Bo had to go and Riley seems to have been a solid hire (not a grand slam by any means but at least an upgrade). He's recruiting better and surrounding himself with respected and sought after assistants. Kinda sounds familiar right lol.

I want to see what Tim can do next year but I think he's sealed his fate with four straight blowouts and the largest home defeat in school history. We'll probably know by the end of the week.