Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues (2017)

4 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by the bolded sentence above.  I really don't believe kids are coming to Omaha because it's Omaha.  Atleast, I don't believe that would be the deciding factor.  Creighton is where its at because their coach 1. runs a style of play that almost any recruit would want to play in and 2. Has done a good job recruiting to that style. 

They are getting kids that other big time schools aren't looking at or even saying wow how did we miss on him.

That is what I ment.  Like when we made our runs back in the day.  Except for Lue, most guys we had were under the radar or fit our program.

Edited by Silverbacked1

7 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by the bolded sentence above.  I really don't believe kids are coming to Omaha because it's Omaha.  Atleast, I don't believe that would be the deciding factor.  Creighton is where its at because their coach 1. runs a style of play that almost any recruit would want to play in and 2. Has done a good job recruiting to that style. 

3. A coaches son who was the national player of the year did more that anything for their program. 

20 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

It's also interesting to me that I don't remember the same level of criticism when people on this board dream big about potential highly ranked recruits coming to Nebraska.

During the Miles era we've always had at least one available scholarship and 0 available available head coaching positions.

20 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I get it. And I'm not bothered by it. I guess it just seemed more like people were giving outlandish examples that were intended as straw man argument or fallacy of extension. So I wanted to explain why I don't think the examples I gave are on the same level as some of the exaggerations that were being mentioned.

Right or wrong, people are giving outlandish examples because

- we don't fire coaches mid-season so this thread is a "I like to come up with coaches list because one finds this to be a fun exercise" list (If you're a radio host committing time to going through this type of list right now you're a hack who can't figure out how to fill your time)

- while the names are different this list is exactly the same as any list we or anyone else have ever come up. (I will say that if one is talking about the history of who Eichorst has hired while factoring in the tendency to hire someone who is striking different from who you currently have at least you're putting thought into this.)

I get this thread though.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

During the Miles era we've always had at least one available scholarship and 0 available available head coaching positions.

- we don't fire coaches mid-season so this thread is a "I like to come up with coaches list because one finds this to be a fun exercise" list (If you're a radio host committing time to going through this type of list right now you're a hack who can't figure out how to fill your time)

- while the names are different this list is exactly the same as any list we or anyone else have ever come up. (I will say that if one is talking about the history of who Eichorst has hired while factoring in the tendency to hire someone who is striking different from who you currently have at least you're putting thought into this.)

I guess I thought I have been pretty clear that I'm not suggesting that Eichorst needs to fire him mid-season.

That is why I put "if this trend continues" in the thread title.

I have tried to reiterate as often as I can that I think this is dependent on the trend continuing. That trend is sub-.500 records.

All of the prediction services seem to think Nebraska will win at best 5-6 conference games. And the probability of Nebraska winning 9 conference games is projected at slim to none. That would mean Nebraska finishing with a 3rd consecutive sub-.500 season...after Eichorst had already chosen not to extend his contract in the offseason.

So, "if this trend continues", I don't think it is going out on too much of a limb to think there will be changes.

But if this team somehow catches lightning in a bottle and finishes the season by winning 9 or more conference games, then I don't think a change will be made.

47 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I guess I thought I have been pretty clear that I'm not suggesting that Eichorst needs to fire him mid-season.

That is why I put "if this trend continues" in the thread title.

I have tried to reiterate as often as I can that I think this is dependent on the trend continuing. That trend is sub-.500 records.

All of the prediction services seem to think Nebraska will win at best 5-6 conference games. And the probability of Nebraska winning 9 conference games is projected at slim to none. That would mean Nebraska finishing with a 3rd consecutive sub-.500 season...after Eichorst had already chosen not to extend his contract in the offseason.

So, "if this trend continues", I don't think it is going out on too much of a limb to think there will be changes.

But if this team somehow catches lightning in a bottle and finishes the season by winning 9 or more conference games, then I don't think a change will be made.

Maybe we should wait a bit and see were things go.  Then you might have more who are willing to add to your list.  Right now some of us still have the Sunshine machine running full throttle. B)

46 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Maybe we should wait a bit and see were things go.  Then you might have more who are willing to add to your list.  Right now some of us still have the Sunshine machine running full throttle. B)

I think most of us are in one of these two stages right now:

The "This is miserable, but I just have to watch to see how this turns out":

ohhgodbaseball.0.0.gif?w=848

Or the "Miles deserves AT LEAST one more year. I'm not listening until then":

XgMxw.gif

It was a weak moment when I opened this thread for the second time.  Norm's name sucked me in.

Wish I hadn't.  

I hate these negative cesspool threads.  Really!!

if you want to see what happens when a coach, who has recruited good players, is fired, check the women's Nebrasketball team. 

Edited by Swan88

6 hours ago, Swan88 said:

It was a weak moment when I opened this thread for the second time.  Norm's name sucked me in.

Wish I hadn't.  

I hate these negative cesspool threads.  Really!!

if you want to see what happens when a coach, who has recruited good players, is fired, check the women's Nebrasketball team. 

You act as if Miles has developed a winning team/program. I can get on board with those who are saying let the Big Ten season play out. But, if Miles has recruited good players why do we look the way we do? If Miles has recruited good players and we win 5-6 Big Ten games again is it unfair to question the direction of the program?  It's probably unfair to Miles and the program to be questioning who the next coach is. I get that. But if the season plays out like it's projected, Miles may very well be on the chopping block.  If that comes to fruition, I don't know if that's the right move but just based on no extension in the offseason and the way the season is currently playing out I don't think most will be surprised if Eichorst wants to bring his own guy in. 

On 12/22/2016 at 8:35 AM, hhcdimes said:

Eichorst won't hire anyone that isn't a fan of Jon Gordon or on the Energy Bus.