Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues (2017)

13 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Doing well right now?

Is that what the standard is around here now? Just being .500 or 1 game above is considered well.

At risk of making this a bulls thread. They spent a ton of money bringing in Wade, Rondo and Lopez to add to Butler. Missing the playoffs 2 straight years would have Hoiberg in very hot water. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Nebrasketballer, do you also keep a list of the top cars you'd buy if you won the lottery?  Top models/actresses you'd bang if you were Liam Hemsworth?  Top places you'd move to if an asteroid hit Nebraska or if the volcano under Yellowstone suddenly erupted?

It's also interesting to me that I don't remember the same level of criticism when people on this board dream big about potential highly ranked recruits coming to Nebraska.

I'm pretty sure that there were threads on this board speculating what nebraska's lineup would look like if players like Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones came to Nebraska and/or "Chicago 5". Or insert any number of other highly ranked recruits from any particular year that people speculate about the possibilities, even when there is little to no chance of it actually happening.

27 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I think most of us are just giving you a hard time.  Sorry if it caused you any problems.  Wish we could write in sarcasm on here less feelings would be hurt.

I get it. And I'm not bothered by it. I guess it just seemed more like people were giving outlandish examples that were intended as straw man argument or fallacy of extension. So I wanted to explain why I don't think the examples I gave are on the same level as some of the exaggerations that were being mentioned.

The real problem that we have at Nebraska is that nobdy knows about us.

It is amazing to me as I have travelled around the country and to other countries, that nobody knows anything about this state but maybe football.

They don't have a clue where it is in a relationship to any other state.  Many are very surprised that Lincoln is a city of between 225,000-250,000 people.  I know there are the stupid sterotypes out there about us, but I am talking after you get by them.

This in here lies the problem.  It is tough to recuit kids here, period.  In football, basketball, tennis, bowling any of them.  They first of all just don't see themselves coming anywhere near any Plains states.

It is cold here, it is hot here, there is nothing to do here, you will get in trouble here, they aren't any good in ______ sport.  ect...

But I do find it amazing how many exhuskers that come from places that they would never dream of leaving, come here and stay here for the rest of their lives.  You know, get a job, marry, have kids, buy houses, all that stuff, once they get here.

This  is where we need to change things.  If we have trouble getting kids here,  high quality winning coaches are not going to be lining up at the door to coach here.

The best winning coaches we have had at this University have either grown up in the plains states or have gone to school or lived in them to understand the dynamics that is us.

I watch a couple of reality shows when they first came out.  I stopped because I couldn't believe what they thought was good fair competition to win these shows.  The people on the coasts loved the back stabbing, cheating and lieing.  I thought it stunk so I quit watching.  And I think many of us have many of those same values.  That is why we often say no to some coaches because of the perceived thoughts that we have of them and how they win.

The coaches in the NCAA, either rightfully or not, I believe, think of this job as a no win, dead end.  Trouble getting kids here, not a big local pool of great D1 talent, tough conference, well we can all add something to that list.

So I really feel that we must look at the up and comer, or assissant coach to change things here.  At least in Basketball.  Then hope they don't see it only for the stepping stone that so many in the coaching ranks do and would.

Sorry for the ramble just some thoughts.  And hopefully all spelled close to correctly.<_<

Edited by Silverbacked1

7 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

It is amazing to me as I have travelled around the country and to other countries, that nobody knows anything about this state but maybe football.

They don't have a clue where it is in a relationship to any other state.  Many are very surprised that Lincoln is a city of between 225,000-250,000 people.  I know there are the stupid sterotypes out there about us, but I am talking after you get by them.

This in here lies the problem.  It is tough to recuit kids here, period.  In football, basketball, tennis, bowling any of them.  They first of all just don't see themselves coming anywhere near any Plains states.

It is cold here, it is hot here, there is nothing to do here, you will get in trouble here, they aren't any good in ______ sport.  ect...

But I do find it amazing how many exhuskers that come from places that they would never dream of leaving, come here and stay here for the rest of their lives.  You know, get a job, marry, have kids, buy houses, all that stuff, once they get here.

This  is where we need to change things.  If we have trouble getting kids here,  high quality winning coaches are not going to be lining up at the door to coach here.

The best winning coaches we have had at this University have either grown up in the plains states or have gone to school or lived in them to understand the dynamics that is us.

I watch a couple of reality shows when they first came out.  I stopped because I couldn't believe what they thought was good fair competition to win these shows.  The people on the coasts loved the back stabbing, cheating and lieing.  I thought it stunk so I quit watching.  And I think many of us have many of those same values.  That is why we often say no to some coaches because of the perceived thoughts that we have of them and how they win.

The coaches in the NCAA, either rightfully or not, I believe, think of this job as a no win, dead end.  Trouble getting kids here, not a big local pool of great D1 talent, tough conference, well we can all add something to that list.

So I really feel that we must look at the up and comer, or assissant coach to change things here.  At least in Basketball.  Then hope they don't see it only for the stepping stone that so many in the coaching ranks do and would.

Sorry for the ramble just some thoughts.  And hopefully all spelled close to correctly.<_<

I couldn't have said it any better. It's funny, because I tend to have discussions (about the bolded portions in your post above) about once a month with various people. I like to play a game with some people who think they know U.S. geography really well. I tell them to list the states in the Midwest between Canada and Mexico (insinuating that the first one is North Dakota) and nearly every single person misses Nebraska and Kansas. I constantly have conversations with "coastal people" who would never dare to even visit the Midwest/Lincoln. And I've had civil arguments with people who were adamant that there is nothing to do in the state of Nebraska except to go to a football game. The sad part is that 90% of the time it is straight ignorance. They have never heard anything or visited at all, but they're insistent that they know more about the experience in Nebraska than I do. Whenever people find out that I am from Nebraska, at least one of those bolded comments immediately comes up from them. It puts me in a constant state of having to defend the place I spent so many great memories.

And yet, to end this rant, as Silver said... I have met so many people who actually spent time in Lincoln (or Nebraska) and never wanted to leave. There really is no place like Nebraska.

32 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I get strange looks when I tell folks here I would move home in a heartbeat IF there were a job in my field available and IF my kids were there.

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

For the sake of argument....Creighton has really disproven a lot of what we see as Geographical problems. I think coach Mac has an excellent blueprint in place. That being said I think they caught lightning in a bottle with him, don't think many programs were beating down his door to hire him. 

Agree and having his son put Creighton on the map in what was a weak conference at the time didn't hurt.  Once they started winning it became easier for him to convince kids.  Nee showed it could be done in Lincoln and I think it can and will be done again.

34 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Well then I'm sorry, but those coaches have their head in the sand.  All you have to do is look 50 miles north of Lincoln and you will find a team/program that is currently ranked within the top 10.  Although, I don't really believe that is correct.  If this job comes open, there will be candidates allured by the money and the conference we play in to go along with all of the other resources Nebraska has to offer. 

10 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

For the sake of argument....Creighton has really disproven a lot of what we see as Geographical problems. I think coach Mac has an excellent blueprint in place. That being said I think they caught lightning in a bottle with him, don't think many programs were beating down his door to hire him. 

You'd be surprised how few people outside of the Midwest recognize the Creighton brand, and when they do, how few people even know where they're located.

EDIT: After re-reading this, I think I missed your point. Yes, geography roadblocks should not be used as an excuse given the close proximity of a team doing far better off than we are.

Edited by HuskerFever
Misread

30 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I agree. I believe that Nebraska has a lot to offer in terms of facilities, conference affiliation, fan interest, selling out the arena, in addition to the fact that Nebraska has the money to pay top dollar for a coach if Eichorst is willing to do so. And Nebraska's financial resources are about to increase even more when they become a full financial member of the Big Ten in 2017. This is all significantly improved from Nebraska's situation for their last few basketball coaching hires.

The right coach can win and recruit in this part of the country. Nebraska has the resources to get one of these coaches. The only question is whether or not they are willing to to so.

I think you may be right that Creighton is/has done it.

But they have also done it with a lot of kids who Maybe won't be playing at others schools of higher caliber. (I know I am going to get killed on that one).

And Omaha has a bit of a national flaire in that the College World Series is played there. And Because of Payton.   But I bet more people than not do not know that Omaha is in Nebraska.

Will be interesting to see who Creighton's next coach will be when they need one.  

I don't know Silverback, boring is sometimes in the eye of the beholder. Would you place Iowa also in the list of difficult- to- recruit- to places? I know I always have trouble driving through that state and remaining awake. Other than hosting the first primary every four years and being home to the "Farmer Bachelor" and a few covered bridges, I doubt many on either coast find it very interesting. Yet, Iowa State, for example has always been able to recruit top coaches and players to their program. I think our problem has much more to do with lack of success than geography. I sure hope so since a couple of break through years will change this and we'll have to wait for another ice age to change the geography.

14 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I think you may be right that Creighton is/has done it.

But they have also done it with a lot of kids who Maybe won't be playing at others schools of higher caliber. (I know I am going to get killed on that one).

And Omaha has a bit of a national flaire in that the College World Series is played there. And Because of Payton.   But I bet more people than not do not know that Omaha is in Nebraska.

Will be interesting to see who Creighton's next coach will be when they need one.  

I'm not really sure what you mean by the bolded sentence above.  I really don't believe kids are coming to Omaha because it's Omaha.  Atleast, I don't believe that would be the deciding factor.  Creighton is where its at because their coach 1. runs a style of play that almost any recruit would want to play in and 2. Has done a good job recruiting to that style. 

So for the people talking about paying for a basketball coach, serious question, do you think we would pay more for a basketball coach than a football coach? I ask because the difference in salaries isn't very much now so if you "paid" for a coach, you likely would pay more than Riley right now.  Curious what people think of that at a "football school".

After after going to UNL and now I'm in Omaha, when I go downtown and see the Creighton bball players they are legit kings here. What Nebraska football players are in Lincoln Creighton bball players are in Omaha. I know the whole state doesn't know them as well but who cares what the state thinks to these kids. It's not like you're leaving Omaha to go to other parts of Nebraska while you're here. It's just something Nebraska doesn't offer for bball players that you're guaranteed to pretty much run the campus if you come here. I hate it. I did tell Foster when I saw him downtown not to shoot well against us before we played them and that surprisingly worked. 

14 minutes ago, Buglem said:

So for the people talking about paying for a basketball coach, serious question, do you think we would pay more for a basketball coach than a football coach? I ask because the difference in salaries isn't very much now so if you "paid" for a coach, you likely would pay more than Riley right now.  Curious what people think of that at a "football school".

Miles gets paid pretty handsomely as is.  And, he's scheduled to make 2.5 Million by 2019.  That number alone will interest plenty of coaches I'm sure.  But to answer your question, no..I don't think we would or will pay our bball coach more than our football coach. 

36 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

After after going to UNL and now I'm in Omaha, when I go downtown and see the Creighton bball players they are legit kings here. What Nebraska football players are in Lincoln Creighton bball players are in Omaha. I know the whole state doesn't know them as well but who cares what the state thinks to these kids. It's not like you're leaving Omaha to go to other parts of Nebraska while you're here. It's just something Nebraska doesn't offer for bball players that you're guaranteed to pretty much run the campus if you come here. I hate it. I did tell Foster when I saw him downtown not to shoot well against us before we played them and that surprisingly worked. 

Fans treating players like kings is a product of quality of play on the floor. Nebraska players are treated like that when the team is playing at a high level. It just doesn't happen very often.

I remember what downtown/haymarket were like when Nebraska went on that run in 2014. I specifically remember "Go Big Red" chants for Petteway, Pitchford, and Rivers when they were out at a restaurant after No Sit Sunday. It was crazy.

Nebrasketball players will be treated like that again if they ever get back to a tournament level team. And it would be a circus if they ever got to the level that Creighton is at and ranked in the top-10 and on their way to a 2 or 3 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

9 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Fans treating players like kings is a product of quality of play on the floor. Nebraska players are treated like that when the team is playing at a high level. It just doesn't happen very often.

I remember what downtown/haymarket were like when Nebraska went on that run in 2014. I specifically remember "Go Big Red" chants for Petteway, Pitchford, and Rivers when they were out at a restaurant after No Sit Sunday. It was crazy.

Nebrasketball players will be treated like that again if they ever get back to a tournament level team. And it would be a circus if they ever got to the level that Creighton is at and ranked in the top-10 and on their way to a 2 or 3 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Very good point

12 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Completely agree. But let's not lose sight of another side of @OmahaHusker's point. There are some athletes out there who have a predisposition to schools with a predominant program. I'm not saying it's an excuse or that it's a big issue, but some athletes would rather be the big man on campus at a basketball school rather than being overshadowed by the football program (or vice versa... see the Kansas football/basketball 'turf war': http://www.sbnation.com/2009/9/23/2311322/kansas-basketballers-and-footballers-brawl/in/815880).

36 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Completely agree. But let's not lose sight of another side of @OmahaHusker's point. There are some athletes out there who have a predisposition to schools with a predominant program. I'm not saying it's an excuse or that it's a big issue, but some athletes would rather be the big man on campus at a basketball school rather than being overshadowed by the football program (or vice versa... see the Kansas football/basketball 'turf war': http://www.sbnation.com/2009/9/23/2311322/kansas-basketballers-and-footballers-brawl/in/815880).

Thanks that's exactly what I meant. But @Nebrasketballer is also right. This state literally goes insane for anything that wins. I mean INSANE. And if you aren't from this state you really don't understand it. We converted an old basketball arena into an arena that we sell out every damn game for our volleyball team for crying out loud.

What Miles needs to sell for us (since his scheme of "defense is offense" is boring as hell) is that a player can go down here as a legend if he wins here rather than just being a good player at a consistently good school. And I think it's easier to pull that narrative in basketball than in football because there's only 5 guys on the court. One guy can change a game.

3 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I agree. I believe that Nebraska has a lot to offer in terms of facilities, conference affiliation, fan interest, selling out the arena, in addition to the fact that Nebraska has the money to pay top dollar for a coach if Eichorst is willing to do so. And Nebraska's financial resources are about to increase even more when they become a full financial member of the Big Ten in 2017. This is all significantly improved from Nebraska's situation for their last few basketball coaching hires.

The right coach can win and recruit in this part of the country. Nebraska has the resources to get one of these coaches. The only question is whether or not they are willing to to so.

I just don't see it.  But then who knows.<_<:)