Miles Just Punched His Ticket Today

Huskerinexile

1 hour ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Actually, 3 losing seasons out of 4. And potentially 4 losing seasons in 5. The Miles criticism was never only about 1 game. It has been about 5 years.

I guess it is the matter of perspective.  We could go the Rutgers route of scheduling.  Go 11-1 in non conference, and then all you have to do is go 5-13 in conference to finish with a winning record.  If we went that way, we are 0-1 in conference, as there is no way we win this game without having played Dayton, UCLA, Va Tech, Kansas, Creighton, Clemson. 

I would much rather play tough teams, even if it means, a possible losing record, than loading up on cupcakes, and finish with a winning record.

Not only that, we have 7 underclassmen play meaningful minutes against the nation's toughest schedule.  It not only helps us, playing in the Big 10 conference, but it will help us in the next few years. 

8 hours ago, ShortDust said:

Oh the people and cream puffs.. give me tough schedule all day.

I think most of us would like to see a tough or tougher non con every year.  It's no secret that those that play a tough non-con usually get rewarded come March if they are lucky enough to be in that position.  Had we beat Gardner-Webb I think we all would like the position we would be in right now.  That loss is probably a difference of 10-15 RPI spots when it's all said and done. 

49 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Had we beat Gardner-Webb I think we all would like the position we would be in right now.  That loss is probably a difference of 10-15 RPI spots when it's all said and done. 

This. This schedule was designed for a team that would have more experience and depth than our roster had. Miles even said after Gardner-Webb that he hoped we'd be further along by year five. Our young team had to mature real early in the season and they held up fairly well against some tough opponents.

Considering strength of schedule, we kept it close against UCLA in the final five minutes, you could argue that we should have (or at least shot ourselves in the foot) against Virginia Tech and Clemson (the same could've been said about Dayton), and then simply got out talented by Creighton and Kansas. But we never did flat out give up in any of those games. If we had beat Gardner Webb, we're sitting at 7-5 and somewhat pleased, yet cautious, about conference play.

But that's in the past. We're 7-6, we just beat a ranked opponent at a place they hadn't lost in since 2014 and we've got plenty of competition ahead of us to negate that one bad loss on our schedule. Forget the good wins, the "good" losses, and the horrible loss. The "what-ifs" conversation is bound to come up, but it's useless at this point. Just keep our eyes forward, let these boys play, and enjoy the ride!

I'm sorry but I have to dissent from the theme of this thread a little bit here.  I don't know much about Basketball (and never will), having just started following since the Miles hire,  but I think I read where someone else had posted that the objective is to put more points on the board than your opponent.  Reflecting back, it seems that our shooting (Beyond the Arc, In the Paint, lay-ups, FTs, everything) got progressively worse after the Dayton Win,  to matching the weather Outside vs Gardner-Webb; Stone-Cold! 

Oh, we scored enough early on to remain competitive (UCLA, Va Tech & Clemson), but not enough to get over the top, which detracted from our self-confidence when we faced our nemesis, & KU).  What was our shooting vs Indiana; 50% from beyond the Arc?  48% FGs & 72% FTs?  Holy Moly!

If we hadn't had such a progressive slump in shooting, we could just as easily be standing at 11-2 instead of 7-6!   :rolleyes: 

Edited by Red Don

I will likely never have reasonable expectations, I will always have high expectations.  Those high expectations haven't been met.  Nee came close at times.  Coach Miles had us close one year.  Even Doc had us close a couple times.  But that doesn't mean changes have to be made.  Progress towards those high expectations is being made. 

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

From the Sipple Q&A with Eichorst come some really good examples of sentences in which the writer should have used semi-colons rather than commas.  Can you tell which ones?  For extra credit, there's also a pair of sentences that could have been joined with a semi-colon instead of separated by a period.

Q: Is there anything to read into you deciding not to extend Miles' contract after last season?

Eichorst: "It's a fair question. He doesn't read into it. I haven't read into it. I think Tim and I come from the same backgrounds. He comes from a small town, I come from a small town. He worked himself up through the ranks, I worked myself up through the ranks.

37 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I will likely never have reasonable expectations, I will always have high expectations.  Those high expectations haven't been met.  Nee came close at times.  Coach Miles had us close one year.  Even Doc had us close a couple times.  But that doesn't mean changes have to be made.  Progress towards those high expectations is being made. 

Totally agree and well stated!!!

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

From the Sipple Q&A with Eichorst come some really good examples of sentences in which the writer should have used semi-colons rather than commas.  Can you tell which ones?  For extra credit, there's also a pair of sentences that could have been joined with a semi-colon instead of separated by a period.

Q: Is there anything to read into you deciding not to extend Miles' contract after last season?

Eichorst: "It's a fair question. He doesn't read into it. I haven't read into it. I think Tim and I come from the same backgrounds. He comes from a small town, I come from a small town. He worked himself up through the ranks, I worked myself up through the ranks.

Was there an answer anywhere in that "fair question"?

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Your expectations must change over time if Nee and Doc both only came close. :) I have had pretty high expectations for the program as well but I would say that Nee met them at least a couple of years (despite the NCAA failures) - and that Doc never came close.   I think we should be an NCAA tourney team around 50% of the time and a Sweet 16 level team on occasion.  Nee had at least 2 Sweet 16 level teams even though they did not get there.  Cip had at least one season like that back in the days when only conference champs got into the NCAA tournament.   Heck with a 64 team field Moe would have likely been in the NCAA tourney at least half of his seasons - his team that made it in his last year was far from his best team that was just the year they expanded the NCAA field.   Collier had 1 or 2 teams with the talent at least to get to the NCAA even though they did not make it.  I don't remember Doc ever having a team that I thought potentially belonged in a 64 team NCAA field. 

1 minute ago, HuskerBB said:

Your expectations must change over time if Nee and Doc both only came close. :) I have had pretty high expectations for the program as well but I would say that Nee met them at least a couple of years (despite the NCAA failures) - and that Doc never came close.   I think we should be an NCAA tourney team around 50% of the time and a Sweet 16 level team on occasion.  Nee had at least 2 Sweet 16 level teams even though they did not get there.  Cip had at least one season like that back in the days when only conference champs got into the NCAA tournament.   Heck with a 64 team field Moe would have likely been in the NCAA tourney at least half of his seasons - his team that made it in his last year was far from his best team that was just the year they expanded the NCAA field.   Collier had 1 or 2 teams with the talent at least to get to the NCAA even though they did not make it.  I don't remember Doc ever having a team that I thought potentially belonged in a 64 team NCAA field. 

:D My expectations really are the same every year.  Post season, preferably NCAA and then wins in the post season.  Certainly if we get to that level, then my high expectations will get even higher.  There are "only" 13 players on a team.  We should be able to recruit players capable of being All-Conference, and eventually All-American.  We should be in the hunt for a Big Ten and NCAA championships.  Cip was indeed close on occasion.  Nee was certainly close and did in fact win a Big 8 tournament championship and NIT championship.  So we have been close...but never over that hump.

17 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

:D My expectations really are the same every year.  Post season, preferably NCAA and then wins in the post season.  Certainly if we get to that level, then my high expectations will get even higher.  There are "only" 13 players on a team.  We should be able to recruit players capable of being All-Conference, and eventually All-American.  We should be in the hunt for a Big Ten and NCAA championships.  Cip was indeed close on occasion.  Nee was certainly close and did in fact win a Big 8 tournament championship and NIT championship.  So we have been close...but never over that hump.

If I could say this in my Jim Mora Sr. voice I would say playoffs, you want to talk about playoffs, I just hope we can win a NCAA tournament game.  Then follow it up with All-Americans?  I just want a couple guys capable of making the all-conference 1st and 2nd teams before we talk about All-Americans.

16 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

If I could say this in my Jim Mora Sr. voice I would say playoffs, you want to talk about playoffs, I just hope we can win a NCAA tournament game.  Then follow it up with All-Americans?  I just want a couple guys capable of making the all-conference 1st and 2nd teams before we talk about All-Americans.

Don't you think that Watson & Roby will get to all conference before they done?

12 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Don't you think that Watson & Roby will get to all conference before they done?

I definitely think they are capable.  But again I want guys that are showing they are worthy of it on a regular basis.  Tai is showing it this year but everyone else on the team has been hit or miss this season, especially Watson.  I would be tickled pink though to have a year with a couple guys on the All-Conference team because that will usually mean we won some meaningful games.  My thing was more we need to worry more about consistent all-conference players before we ever start thinking we have all-americans.

1 hour ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Isn't that what I said???