Miles Just Punched His Ticket Today

Huskerinexile

I've watched the last six basketball coaches at Nebraska and in the end of their tenures there was always a "last straw" moment when things just weren't working and it became obvious that we were going to need a change.  Today was that day for Tim Miles.  He has punched his ticket out of here.  Lack of teamwork, inconsistent defense and lack of any offensive execution.

i can look past many things.  There will be those that will say we are young, that we just need another year or two.  It is time for the AD to do his job.  Smoke and mirrors from Miles are over.  This is gonna get ugly in the B1G.

Gardber-Webb?  Now we're losing to schools with hyphens?  We have a $100M athletic department budget and top 20 facilities with great fan support.  This needs to end.  Coach Miles has either lost this team or he just can't coach them in his system.  But these are the players he recruited for his system.  No excuses at all for this.

The ticket for coach Miles was punched today.  We need to move the program forward, and the start of moving forward will be to send coach Miles back to a mid-major program where he belongs.

Edited by Huskerinexile

Coach Cipriano was a fun guy to watch and I always enjoyed watching his team.  I always used to like it when we had swung the momentum of games and had a huge run only for Nebraska to call a time out and stop the momentum.  He had passion and again I personally have positive memories of Coach Cipriano.

i have no idea why you are personally attacking me, but my post has nothing to do with coach Cipriano's unfortunate passing.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Huskerinexile said:

Coach Cipriano was a fun guy to watch and I always enjoyed watching his team.  I always used to like it when we had swung the momentum of games and had a huge run only for Nebraska to call a time out and stop the momentum.  He had passion and again I personally have positive memories of Coach Cipriano.

i have no idea why you are personally attacking me, but my post has nothing to do with coach Cipriano's unfortunate passing.

Thanks!

1. Miles

2. Sadler

3. Collier

4. Nee

5. Iba

6. Cipriano

7. Bush

You probably meant that for the last five, there has been a "last straw" moment.

Edited by jayschool

Yes exactly.  No disrespect for Cipriano.  And I meant to say that I've watched last six basketball coaches.

in any case, for those of us that have followed Nebrasketball since the 70s, I just think today was coach Miles day that will be a turning point that the AD can't ignore and boosters and alumni like myself will expect to be addressed.

8 minutes ago, Huskerinexile said:

Yes exactly.  No disrespect for Cipriano.  And I meant to say that I've watched last six basketball coaches.

What was Iba's last straw moment?  Preseason practices in Mabel Lee Hall before he took NU to their first NCAA Tourney?  Did you mean to say you've watched the last four Husker coaches?  I can agree with you there.

18 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don't agree that this bad loss sealed the deal for Miles. But are you thinking there is no chance Miles is let go after years end?

We've seen this game before. UMBC with Doc, Miles had last year with Samford. The real question is where the season goes from here. One game doesn't decide anything. 

2 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

Here's my thought on this.  We have before us no less than 20 games still to be played.  Tim Miles will be the coach for this team for all 20 of those games.  A lot can and will happen between now the end of the season.  By then we will know how this team will have responded going forward from this point, and whether or not Miles was able to get this team going in a positive direction, and building towards a better year next year.  If we continue to the have the same problems and continue to have too many players not contributing in any substantial way, then Eichorst may very well decide to let coach go.  But that will only happen at the end of the season, and I will support whatever decision is made regarding that.  But until then Tim Miles has my support, and what I'm not looking forward to is seeing so many people piling on and calling for Miles to be fired before the season is even over.  

This. Does deciding to fire the coach make it more enjoyable as a fan? Do you really want to give up hope in mid-December?

12 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

Here's my thought on this.  We have before us no less than 20 games still to be played.  Tim Miles will be the coach for this team for all 20 of those games.  A lot can and will happen between now the end of the season.  By then we will know how this team will have responded going forward from this point, and whether or not Miles was able to get this team going in a positive direction, and building towards a better year next year.  If we continue to the have the same problems and continue to have too many players not contributing in any substantial way, then Eichorst may very well decide to let coach go.  But that will only happen at the end of the season, and I will support whatever decision is made regarding that.  But until then Tim Miles has my support, and what I'm not looking forward to is seeing so many people piling on and calling for Miles to be fired before the season is even over.  

I can agree with this. Obviously Miles is not being let go before seasons end. And even then he may not be let go. This is really tough to read. Barring a disaster Big Ten season I think Miles deserves another year. But, I don't think anybody really knows what Eichorst will do. 

8 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

8,144 fans?  That's pathetic!  The fan energy was lackluster at best. 

It feels like it's 20 below. Weather played a factor. So did the opponent. So did the layoff. So did the game being on Sunday. 

Nebraska basketball fans are unbelievably loyal given the lack of NCAA Tournament bids put out by the program. 

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

We've seen this game before. UMBC with Doc, Miles had last year with Samford. The real question is where the season goes from here. One game doesn't decide anything. 

While technically true....it is awefully tough to have any sort of positive feelings about the rest of the year.   All signs point to another losing record and no postseasons.   You have another example of a terrible loss.   Its 3 years running now.   That's not a fluke anymore.   That's a trend.   You continue to see signs of inconsistent offensive struggles.   SIgns of guys who are supposedly good shooters, regressing.   Signs of poor personnel decisions.   While it's theoretically possible that a miracle 180 could happen.   Its quite ridiculous to think it will and to not seriously question the direction of the program

2 hours ago, hal9000 said:

Excellent post Hal.  

2 hours ago, hal9000 said:

Nothing will change in the next 20 games unless people demand change instead of supporting the status quo.   Applying pressure is all we fans have left to influence a different outcome. 

I will say nothing more then this was an absolute train wreck today.  I do not understand how you can be so unprepared mentally and physically to play.  This had nothing to do with youth, it had everything to do with believing you can simply show up and play a game.  Preparation stunk.  Continuity stunk.  Offense stunk.  Defense stunk.  Weather stunk.  Fans stunk.  Even the opponent sort of stunk.  They weren't that good. 

UNACCEPTABLE.  Totally unacceptable.  Nuf said.

Crap, one additional thought, sorry.  What in the heck is Glynn doing starting the game on the bench?  He is one of out two, perhaps three offensive weapons, and he is starting on the bench????  Come on man, find a different way to wake up the player. 

Edited by huskercwg

14 hours ago, swmckewon said:

It feels like it's 20 below. Weather played a factor. So did the opponent. So did the layoff. So did the game being on Sunday. 

Nebraska basketball fans are unbelievably loyal given the lack of NCAA Tournament bids put out by the program. 

True Sam, however if we are not allowed to let Tim have excuses, neither should we as fans.  

It's too cold.  Hell it's flipp'n Nebraska in Winter what is it suppose to be?  Icy roads I will give you today.

Bad opponent   it was quiet during a bunch of the Creighton game too.  And they are supposedly one of our "big name" teams we play.

Sunday game,  What else to do today, watch NFL? maybe family but...

A week lay off.  Gee lets play some tough games in the middle of finals week so that these kids know what is really important.  And it ain't grades!

No students,  F$$$ they haven't showed up this year anyway.  There were Creighton kids sitting in the Husker student section, so I guess that tells you about the level of interest in the student body.  Sell the end zone tickets to season ticket holders, the students don't come anyway.  I have been told to move down there evey home game this year.  Except Creighton.

I was yelling a couple of times to day that we needed a stop here and I got looks like I was cussing out loud.  The place was DEAD.  

And that is just embarrassing.  I watched Two 65ish year old wives trying to get their husbands to stand when we made our little run and the one old guy won't even look up from his iPhone.  And this was in the 200 section.

I know, I know, put someting to yell about on the court and they will.  Well maybe instead of sitting on our hands and stuffing our faces we might yell a little bit and the players might respond.

I don't know it is just tough.:(

Edited by Silverbacked1

28 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

True Sam, however if we are not allowed to let Tim have excuses, neither should we as fans.  

It's too cold.  Hell it's flipp'n Nebraska in Winter what is it suppose to be?  Icy roads I will give you today.

Bad opponent   it was queit during a bunch of the Creighton game too.  And they are supposedly one of our "big name" teams we play.

Sunday game,  What else to do today, watch NFL? maybe family but...

A week lay off.  Gee lets play some tough games in the middle of finls week so that these kids know what is really important.  And it ain't grades!

No students,  F$$$ they haven't showed up this year anyway.  There were Creighton kids sitting in the Husker student section, so I guess that tells you about the level of interest in the student body.  Sell the end zone tickets to season ticket holders, the students don't come anyway.  I have been told to move down there evey home game this year.  Except Creighton.

I was yelling a couple of times to day that we needed a stop here and I got looks like I was cussing out loud.  The place was DEAD.  

And that is just embressing.  I watched Two 65ish year old wives trying to get thier husbands to stand when we made our little run and the one old guy won't even look up from his iPhone.  And this was in the 200 section.

I know, I know, put someting to yell about on the court and they will.  Well maybe instead of sitting on our hands and stuffing our faces we might yell a little bit and the players wight respond.

I don't know it is just tough.:(

Icy roads were no excuse today. Roads were just fine.

Edited by Jugular

I never doubted Miles would be successful until halftime today. Benching Watson today was stupid and it may have cost him the team. How can anyone who knows anything about basketball think he shouldn't start? Especially the guys on the team. It looks like he outsmarted himself and lost some player trust in the process. 

I think he should get another year unless the B1G season is an utter disaster, but count me among the skeptics now.