Allen Fieldhouse

kldm64

Gotta say that being at Allen Fieldhouse for the game was incredible.  Tickets were very pricey but worth it.  The atmosphere is unlike anywhere else in college basketball. There were a lot of NU fans that made the trip.  Lawrence is a fun town and strongly encourage everyone to put attending a KU home game on their bucket list.

I think it's a bit overrated myself, actually.

Still, highly recommended.  Old time-y arenas like theirs are becoming harder to come by all the time.

Allen, Cameron, Hinkle, Williams, Gill...all great old time barns that I would love to visit some day.  I'm sorry I never got to visit Ahearn for a hoops game, or GIA pre-renovation.

This game is my first / only time at the Phog.

The impressive element is the highest level of success they've sustained there for more than a century.  That makes everything great: without it . . . not so much.  They've recently made a museum-ish addition to the building highlighting their history in all sports -- pretty cool. 

Some observations: (i) the building is old and feels small, (ii) seats are mostly benches, with some premium seats-with-backs, (iii) the pregame is a pepband and cheerleaders.  

The local fan behavior is more genteel, with loud-bursts at spectacular plays, than rowdy-and-loud.  The video at player introductions is impressive (think our Tunnel Walk without the walk).  The sides of the court are very narrow: I don't see how a large-footed player can stand entirely out-of-bounds with feet straight ahead.  

For me, the winning history over more than a century makes the Phog a special place to visit.  Otherwise, the facility is a quaint and uncomfortable barn-like structure.  Without the winning history . .  . you can't recruit to this.  

19 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

For me, the winning history over more than a century makes the Phog a special place to visit.  Otherwise, the facility is a quaint and uncomfortable barn-like structure.  Without the winning history . .  . you can't recruit to this.  

Sort of make you wonder how much of a point that 'Why aren't we winning with our facilities?!?' guy has.

I've been to Cameron Indoor and now Phog Allen.  The fans and overall noise level was better at Phog.  While some might think it's creepy, I thought the fan involvement and coordination made for a really cool and intimidating environment for opposing teams.  And I don't think they were that wound up for us.  I would imagine a Missouri game would be off the charts to watch there.  Definitely glad I checked it off my bucket list!

22 minutes ago, Buglem said:

I've been to Cameron Indoor and now Phog Allen.  The fans and overall noise level was better at Phog.  While some might think it's creepy, I thought the fan involvement and coordination made for a really cool and intimidating environment for opposing teams.  And I don't think they were that wound up for us.  I would imagine a Missouri game would be off the charts to watch there.  Definitely glad I checked it off my bucket list!

No, don't get me wrong, it's cool that they're so into it.  It's just weird from an outsider perspective.

I used to think that Nebraska football games were over the top and ritualistic, but now I see that they are tame by some standards.

Just now, 49r said:

Found in the game thread on reddit, I consider that pretty high praise:

–]Kansas JayhawksSWKstateofmind 6 points  

Shout out to these Huskers fans, though. They're making their presence felt in AFH to a degree that I haven't ever really heard from visiting teams.

That's pretty damn cool!

3 hours ago, 49r said:

No, don't get me wrong, it's cool that they're so into it.  It's just weird from an outsider perspective.

I used to think that Nebraska football games were over the top and ritualistic, but now I see that they are tame by some standards.

Don't quite get why you think it's so weird.  They have a very loyal fan base with some pregame and post game rituals.  It's pretty awesome.  Certainly better than listening to NU band play Mr. Touchdown USA at every football game.  That's just boring!!!

21 hours ago, Swan88 said:

What??? Are you saying Northwestern can't recruit the right players to win games in that high school gymnasium? :D

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

What??? Are you saying Northwestern can't recruit the right players to win games in that high school gymnasium? :D

Ha!  

Actually, "high school gymnasium" is exactly what I thought when I first stepped into the arena in Lawrence.  And that's what I thought about the pepband / cheerleaders pregame there.

But I didn't want to be the first to make such a statement:  and that's because it sounds like a put-down rather than a neutral observation.

My experience is that local fan experiences are meaningful for the the local fans.  Outsiders often split on those experiences: and sometimes it's whether they have a generally-favorable or generally-negative impression of that team.

My brother and I went to the last game Nebraska played there as a member of the Big 12. Loved it (and if I recall, NU gave them a good game into the 2nd half) - I'm a sucker for the history and it oozes from the place.

I've also been to Assembly Hall - a blizzard kept the crowd down but we were able to move down to about 8 rows behind Bobby Knight & Indiana's bench. It was a fantastic experience and the seats feel like they look straight down on the court from above. I can't imagine how intimidating that place could be when it's full.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:46 AM, 49r said:

Nebraska football games are tame by most standards... We really need to replace "Through these gates pass the Greatest fans in College Football" with "Through these gates pass some of the Dumbest fans in College Football"

Edited by Bookie Killer
erase quote

Here is the thing Bookie...I have always said that we have great fans, we have a group that are bandwagon riders (they will support Nebraska when they are winning) and you have arrogant no it all's who drive most good fans nuts.  But, you can go to any stadium in any city in this country (and quite frankly across the world) that isn't in the same place.  And yet, we do support our teams!