We're #1

hskr4life

They're the ones who hate the dribble drive motion that we run sometimes.  The prevailing thought on it has been we run three man weave at the top of the key for 28 seconds then somebody chucks a desperation 3...every time.

What they fail to recognize is we run more pick/roll action (I think) than anything, and when we do dribble drive Tai has been virtually unstoppable getting to the rack.

They also hate that MJ has taken so many 3's (even though he's been asked to play more stretch 4 stuff this year).  Yeah, their ignorance bothers me. ;)

Yes,it's a little discouraging to be around such negativism all the time;  problem is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to persuade 'em  (I do what I can though - also winning helps ;)).  That's why I'm over here; to get 'The Skinny.'  (that, and as Silver would say: for the buffet) :)

Edited by Red Don

I posted it in the Fire Miles BS thread that I still like this team.  And I'm sticking to that.

How many teams would be (record wise) further ahead of what we are with the schedule we have?  I do wish we could have either the Clemson/VT games back and get at least one of those wins.

We could be 7-3 with a cupcake schedule and the "casual fan" would think we are doing great.  5-5 with no bad losses isn't terrible.  Especially when 3 of those losses are to top 10 teams and only one being at home. 

I'm still hopeful that this group will have a good season.  I think our schedule set us up for the grind of the B10 so hopefully that helps down the stretch.

GBR!

7 hours ago, 49r said:

Norm, they could use your help on the more *ahem* football oriented Husker message boards...they are pretty much unanimous in that they think Miles should have been fired long ago.  They really hate almost everything about the program right now, and change is needed immediately...starting at the top.

It's no wonder the stereotype of the Husker fan who doesn't know a damn thing about basketball exists...

Also, can we stipulate that anyone KU recruits is, by definition, highly recruited?

6 hours ago, bball23 said:

How many teams would be (record wise) further ahead of what we are with the schedule we have?  I do wish we could have either the Clemson/VT games back and get at least one of those wins.

Florida is 7-3 with a record arguably as hard as us.  Otherwise no one else.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:55 AM, LK1 said:

I'm thrilled with our RPI at 55.  We're in contention to make the dance.  It sounds crazy to say that at 4-5, but those losses help our team immensely, plus one really good win against Dayton on a neutral court.  

Look at it this way:  would we have the same amount of naysayers if we were 8-0, one good win, and an RPI of 55?  No chance in hell.  We'd be the talk of the town.  

I, for one, hope we aim for the nation's toughest noncon schedule every year.  This has been the most fun I've ever had watching the noncon.  

Agreed.  Especially with the last paragraph.  I was thinking about this last night and I really believe we should be playing UNO every year in the non-con.

Edited by 49r

This is (of course) an estimate given our schedule and others' and doesn't take a tournament win or two into account but...

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Nebraska.html

9-9 in the conference puts us squarely on the bubble (RPI 45).  I believe we made it with an RPI of about 40 in 2014.  1-1 in the B1G tournament would probably get us in.

This team could hit that 9-9 mark in my opinion -- maybe even 11-7 if we get over our freshman jitters and decide we can win these games instead of playing a bit scared and like freshman.  After the first two games our conference schedule isn't that bad.  The meat-grinder aspect of our overall schedule is just about done.

For whatever it is or isn't worth, I love how this schedule has worked as well.

Edited by kleitus

...and here's what it's like at the other end of the spectrum.  Rutgers has played the absolute worst schedule in all of D-1 according to KenPom, yet they're practically out of their mind with giddiness because 10-1!!!  Never mind that this is a postgame article about a 13 point win at home against KenPom #288:

http://www.onthebanks.com/2016/12/15/13963670/rutgers-basketball-steve-pikiell-nigel-johnson-cj-gettys

What Ball Movement Wow:  Rutgers had sixteen assists tonight and the ball movement really stuck out. Rutgers was patient, but didn’t hesitate. Therefore, the ball rarely stuck in anyone’s hands. Eugene Omoruyi, Issa Thiam, and-of course--CJ Gettys can really see the floor. The ball moves with purpose. And if the shots start to fall like they did in the second half, watch out.

The Threes Are Starting to Fall:  Rutgers made 5 of 7 threes in the second half and six total. They made 5 against Stony Brook. For a team that isn’t lights out shooting, that’s enough to keep you honest. And all of those shots were good ones. In the first half, when Rutgers made one, it wasn’t because they were chucking it—they were just missing. That’s important and goes back to the ball movement. Rutgers got open threes in the corner any time they wanted.

Fairleigh Never Gave Up: They only have 2 wins, but they can score and you can see why they’re favored to win their conference. They made a ton of tough shots, and hustled. It never truly felt like they went away and they kept grinding. I’m not saying this is some sort of resume building win, but just because a team is bad doesn’t mean they’re an easy out. Rutgers earned this one and had to do it by wearing the Knights down and mostly without a sick Corey Sanders.

Ten and One:  What else is there to say? Five more wins this season and you’d put this team on the rise. They already play well, but beat Fordham and find four Big Ten wins. Anything beyond that is gravy. What a start. TEN AND ONE!

Edited by 49r

Crazy to think our 5 losses combined record is 45-4, including three teams that are currently in the Top 10.

If we pull off that Clemson win there probably isn't a single poster on here who has anything negative to say about the direction of the program. Except those 1 or 2 guys who think it's ridiculous and uncalled for that we didn't beat the hell out of what will most likely be Creightons best team EVER.

I'm super stoked for the season. We have a nice long week of practice and a couple "gimme" games to figure stuff out and get some players up to speed. Then we enter Big Ten, let the fun begin.

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

..and here's what it's like at the other end of the spectrum.  Rutgers has played the absolute worst schedule in all of D-1 according to KenPom, yet they're practically out of their mind with giddiness:

They topped out at 12 wins in the Eddie Jordan era and probably aren't going to the tourney. This is a team that should be binge eating cupcakes.

I mean look at this:

Fri Nov 11 191 NR Molloy W, 86-57 73   Home 1-0    
Sun Nov 13 184 249 Drexel W, 87-66 75   Home 2-0    
Thu Nov 17 170 192 DePaul W, 66-59 62   Away 3-0    
Sun Nov 20 157 276 Niagara W, 78-65 66   Home 4-0    
Wed Nov 23 150 273 North Texas W, 66-53 63   Home 5-0    
Fri Nov 25 146 323 Hartford W, 77-75 70   Home 6-0    
Wed Nov 30 162 26 Miami FL L, 73-61 69   Away 6-1   a.gif
Sat Dec 3 154 330 Morgan St. W, 72-58 71   Home 7-1    
Tue Dec 6 148 341 Central Connecticut W, 79-37 72   Home 8-1    
Sat Dec 10 135 261 Stony Brook W, 71-66 65   Away 9-1    
Wed Dec 14 134 288 Fairleigh Dickinson W, 82-69 66   Home 10-1  

Would you trade your 5-5 for 10-1 against that schedule?

4 hours ago, 49r said:

I mean look at this:

Fri Nov 11 191 NR Molloy W, 86-57 73   Home 1-0    
Sun Nov 13 184 249 Drexel W, 87-66 75   Home 2-0    
Thu Nov 17 170 192 DePaul W, 66-59 62   Away 3-0    
Sun Nov 20 157 276 Niagara W, 78-65 66   Home 4-0    
Wed Nov 23 150 273 North Texas W, 66-53 63   Home 5-0    
Fri Nov 25 146 323 Hartford W, 77-75 70   Home 6-0    
Wed Nov 30 162 26 Miami FL L, 73-61 69   Away 6-1   a.gif
Sat Dec 3 154 330 Morgan St. W, 72-58 71   Home 7-1    
Tue Dec 6 148 341 Central Connecticut W, 79-37 72   Home 8-1    
Sat Dec 10 135 261 Stony Brook W, 71-66 65   Away 9-1    
Wed Dec 14 134 288 Fairleigh Dickinson W, 82-69 66   Home 10-1  

Would you trade your 5-5 for 10-1 against that schedule?

Good golly, Molloy?

OK, I'm not going to be the "Rutgers is really good!" guy, but I have watched them play a couple of games. Pikiell is a good coach, and they have some talent. They are not the pushover we're used to. They may not finish any higher in the standings this year, but teams won't be clearing the bench in the first half against them.

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

OK, I'm not going to be the "Rutgers is really good!" guy, but I have watched them play a couple of games. Pikiell is a good coach, and they have some talent. They are not the pushover we're used to. They may not finish any higher in the standings this year, but teams won't be clearing the bench in the first half against them.

I saw Rutgers against Hartford and I thought they looked horrible.  Rutgers is NOT a good team and it would surprise me if they beat anyone in the Big 10 this year.  Including us.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I saw Rutgers against Hartford and I thought they looked horrible.  Rutgers is NOT a good team and it would surprise me if they beat anyone in the Big 10 this year.  Including us.

(Devil's advocate)

...said every team in the Big Ten about Nebraska during the 2013-2014 season. I suppose that's why we play the games.

(But yes...you're probably right ;))

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

They're 131 in KenPom, were 279 last year. Also 99 in RPI. The games I saw them they looked like they were coached, unlike last year. It would surprise me if they didn't beat someone in the BIG.