uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 10 - Kansas

uneblinstu

- Might be time to start working Jordy into the starting lineup. He's still a bit foul prone, which might be what prevents this from happening, but he looks better each game.

- Interesting to see what Miles says about Gill, Taylor and Jordy starting the 2nd half.

- Liked the start to this game for the Huskers. Looked poised and unafraid. KU's athleticism took over the second 10 minutes of the game.

- Being away for so long, I forgot how fortunate KU gets in Allen Fieldhouse.

- Missed a couple chances at the rim in the 2nd half that could have really made things interesting. At least 4.

- Webster probably should be an all-conference guard this year. He's been really great on both ends of the floor.

- I think this was Gill's best game. Would be great if that's the start of him getting going.

- Evan Taylor played pretty well, too.

- I liked the use of token pressure on KU bringing the ball up the floor. Would like to see them do more of that down the line.

- No McVeigh in the 2nd half, huh? Fuller instead? That's a development to watch going forward.

- Miles Simon's point about NU having more success when they attack was a good one. Not sure if that's a mentality thing for NU or KU not being disciplined defensively, but I agree with him.

- B2B games for Watson fouling out. Not something that can continue. He wasn't great in either game, frankly.

- They missed a few passes that, frankly, NU's gotta hang onto.

- Felt like they played better today in a lot of ways than they did on Wednesday.

- A lot of conversation about the direction of the program, with NU's struggles this stretch and now having 5 losses, likely all to tournament teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least 3 of them, maybe more, are playing on the second week or beyond. Sometimes they've played well. Others they looked over-matched. I do think this will better the team down the road, this year and beyond. I see a lot of winnable games in the Big Ten. There are a lot of things that are really encouraging to me so far this year. It would have been nice to have a couple of wins, but I think this stretch is really going to be something we look back on as a foundational time for this group.

Edited by uneblinstu

- Missed seven bunnies in the game today...that made a difference.

- We played well the first 10 minutes and the last 20 minutes.  That 10 minute segment where we laid an egg is a killer.

- Jordy played well.  Once he builds his upper body and once he learns to keep his feet on defense, he is going to be good.

- Isaiah struggled, Jack struggled, Nick struggled, Jeriah struggled all in limited minutes.

- Rust may be coming off of Anton.  He looked better today.

- Glynn had a bit of good, bad and ugly.  His tear drop shot wasn't working today.

- Ed is an undersized beast.

-Tai is a stud.

- Evan played well.

- Interesting line up coming out of the half. 

We are close.  We got better today.  We need to master our identity and we are going to have a good Big Ten season. 

Edited by huskercwg

Pretty good effort all around. At times, our D seemed suspect, but that might just be a Jimmy's vs. Joe's deal! We missed a TON of bunnies and putbacks, and Kansas doesn't miss those same shots. That's probably the difference in the game. Their top 5 scorers for the game were all in double figures, and all 5 of those guys shot 50% or better. We struggle to get 1 or 2 guys above 50%. It also doesn't help that Kansas misses more FTS than 3's. I do believe our ridiculously hard schedule will pay off this season still! GBR!!

Edited by jason2486

16 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

- Missed seven bunnies in the game today...that made a difference.

- We played well the first 10 minutes and the last 20 minutes.  That 10 minute segment where we laid an egg is a killer.

- Jordy played well.  Once he builds his upper body and once he learns to keep his feet on defense, he is going to be good.

- Isaiah struggled, Jack struggled, Nick struggled, Jeriah struggled all in limited minutes.

- Rust may be coming off of Anton.  He looked better today.

- Glynn had a bit of good, bad and ugly.  His tear drop shot wasn't working today.

- Ed is an undersized beast.

-Tai is a stud.

- Evan played well.

- Interesting line up coming out of the half. 

We are close.  We got better today.  We need to master our identity and we are going to have a good Big Ten season. 

Not going to win many games when the other team shoots 60% from the floor, and 7-15 from 3.

Our offense this year has to be Webster getting to the rim.  Watson hitting his 18 foot pull-up.  Morrow battling down low.  Jacobson, Morrow, and Jordy battling on the glass.  Jack needs to hit open 3's. 

It's all about gaining strength.  Roby missed a lay-up because he short armed it worrying about the KU guy blocking it.  In a year in the strength program, he dunks the ball with authority.

Horne gave away 7 points, and cost him a bunch of minutes.  Lost his man for an easy 3, allowed his man to drive by him, and turned it over for an easy KU run out.

About the game I expected.  KU played their starters all but the last minute, and we still outscored them.

My favorite part of the game was when KU tried to get cocky and blew the dunk off the glass. 

i liked the philosophy and rotation much more this game.  We played fairly well, particularly in the second half.  KU is light years beyond CU's talent.

No McVeigh in the second half, and we won the second half by three points.  I think we learned a lot about our rotation.

Morrow:  16pts, 7 boards

Jordy:  10pts, 8 boards, 2 blks

^^^This is against KU.  Once again, these two guys are every bit as good as the front court players we're facing.  This HAS to be our starting 4-5 moving forward.  Jordy will learn to foul less.  He has a very high bb IQ.  Jacobson needs to give them breathers, but I don't know how much more evidence needs to be presented to start Jordy with Morrow (like he did in the 2nd half).  Give me a break.  

Tai:  stud

GW:  needs to start taking/hitting pull up jumpers again, but I still like the ball in his hands.  

------

Roby belongs on the court.  A lot.  I didn't understand his lack of minutes in the 2nd half.  He didn't shoot well, but he still had 3rb, 2ast, no TO and a block in 13 minutes.  He guarded Jackson very well.  

McVeigh should be giving spot minutes.  He's not a starter.  He needs to lift weights.  

Gill and Taylor need to give good supplemental minutes like they did tonight.  I still very much believe in Gill's ability to score and contribute.

But man.  I wish I could beg these coaches:  it's time to stop being polite to McVeigh and Jacobson.  They are good bench players.  There's just not enough athleticism with either one to be a game changer if they can't make a wide open shot.  We're going to have to switch to an attack the glass/crash the boards philosophy if we're going to put up any points.  Those bunnies we missed tonight will start to fall if that style becomes our culture.  15 offensive rebounds is a great sign.  

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If we had Benedict Arnold Brutus Judas White the third on this team, we wouldn't be talking about the direction of the program right now. We would be probably talking about seeding in the NCAA tournament.   And we would probably have two more wins than we have. 

Syracuse would be 4-6 with our noncon schedule.  They won't make the tournament.  

Lot to like in a loss for me:

-Jordy looked like he's getting it, and getting it ahead of schedule this is without  a weight room program. Good things ahead 

- Gill kinda woke up which is nice

- Morrow is going to start up some talk for  a all big ten 3rd team this year, his offensive development is a blissful surprise

- Tai is lookin for 1st team all big ten and if he continues to develop will be cashing checks in either America or in Europe rather than the hometown contract we all thought was his ceiling 

- Watson, Webster, Roby, Morrow, Jordy needs to be the starting five as others of said that is a best defense/offense combo 

Jordy is going to get a lot better if/when his hands ever soften up, maybe that's a upper body strength thing or footwork thing, I don't know.  But he took big strides towards becoming a better player today.  Good to see.  Gill may also be finally getting up to game speed, he's looking like less of a liability all the time, he played at times like the top 50 player we expect him to be.  Great to see.

Second half when we went on a mini run to cut it to 15 (and Allen Fieldhouse was quiet as a church) we did the GOOO BIIIIG RE-EED Go Big Red! chant...and it was LOUD!  There had to be a couple thousand NU fans there today.  Good showing by the Husker faithful.

Allen Fieldhouse smells like funnel cakes.

I hope KU makes it into the Big Ten when conference-geddon hits, it would be fun to get this game back on the schedule regularly.

The only thing that I think keeps Jordy from starting just yet is that he's still a bit foul prone. I think he's gonna play starters minutes as much as possible, but he may be the first off the bench after they get a feel for how games are gonna be called. Or maybe they're close to comfortable playing him from the tip. Either way, he's really close to carrying the load. Really cool to watch him settle in at this level.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If we had Benedict Arnold Brutus Judas White the third on this team, we wouldn't be talking about the direction of the program right now. We would be probably talking about seeding in the NCAA tournament.   And we would probably have two more wins than we have. 

We have a new employee in the office, and somehow the subject of Jesus' betrayal came up in conversation during her first week (don't ask how).  I kid you not--when someone mentioned Judas Iscariot, her response was "Who's Judas?  I thought Brutus betrayed Jesus."  She was dead serious.  :huh: