Shields, Rivers, and Parker

bobcat402

Parker just doesn't have it in my opinion.  People talk about his defense and I don't see him.  I've watched him exclusively on defensive at times in case I'm wrong about him.  I see the player he's guarding blow right by many times and is out of position at other times.  He's obviously undersized don't really see anything special he brings offensively or defensively.  People like to cheer and pull for the little guy and think that might be some of the case with Parker.  I think he tries hard but don't think he's the type of player Miles wants running the show moving forward.  I'll be very surprised it Parker gets more than 3-5 minutes a game next year at the very most.  My hunch is that he won't see the floor a lot. 

Couple things work in Parkers favor, though.  First, he should be healthy by then, he's not now.  Plus, he'll be the only true point guard on the team.  Gallegos, Webster and Biggs all are more suited for the 2 spot.  There will be minutes for Parker if he can get the team into and out of the offense.

Don't need a true point if you have multiple combo guards.  I don't think Parker is good enough unfortunately for this level of play.  You have got to have perimiter guys on the court that are threats to score. 

And that may be what happens.  You also don't need a scorer at the point of the other four can score.  All he has to do is get the ball where it needs to be.

yea i understand what you're saying.  i'm just speaking from a purely developmental perspective.  i remember watching gallegos as a freshman and sophomore and it seemed like it took him 10 seconds to get a shot off and he was completely worthless if he wasn't wide open, spotting up.  now he has one of the quickest releases i've ever seen from a guy at Nebraska and he is far from a spot up shooter

his game has improved substantially IMO

Ray always had the quick release, he just chose to shoot essentially a set shot from 3.  Whether it was suggested by a coach to start shooting a jump shot from deep or Ray made the change on his own, I don't know.  Ray's overall game has improved, in particular his ball handling.

Shields and Rivers are looking like our best players.  Thinking both will be starting next year.  Looked like Parker played good defense yesterday but I didn't watch him the whole time.  There will be some minutes for him next year.

The best thing is these guys are buying in and getting a win shows them to keep with the process.  Now if we can get Vooch some minutes...

i think we can move on from vooch, i feel like a hypocrite for saying dont quit on parker, but i just dont see his spot anymore we've had spots where him or kye couldve played yet they havent so i think he is done

yea i understand what you're saying.  i'm just speaking from a purely developmental perspective.  i remember watching gallegos as a freshman and sophomore and it seemed like it took him 10 seconds to get a shot off and he was completely worthless if he wasn't wide open, spotting up.  now he has one of the quickest releases i've ever seen from a guy at Nebraska and he is far from a spot up shooter

his game has improved substantially IMO

No question Ray has improved a ton, but uneblinstu is right, redshirting didn't do much from a point guard standpoint.  Still doesn't have good handles and isn't strong with the ball.   Watch the tape of Ray's turnover following Ubel's alleged flagrant elbow for a good example.

I have to respectfully disagree that Ray's game used to be as a spot up shooter.  During the open practice era his first two years, and some limited game action, it was obvious his strength was the midrange jumper, when he elevated into the shot off the dribble.  He always struggled as a spot up jump shooter., especially from long range.  He has improved as a spot up shooter, and is better although still inconsistent from 3 point range (but what a great shot to put up up 6 late yesterday; that could have been the difference in the game and it isn't getting much play).  He still is at his best when he can dribble into a midrange jumper. 

Yes - Ray was never a spot up shooter.  From early on he had the mid-range game and great elevation to get that shot off.  He was (and to a large extent still is) an inconsistent but streaky shooter.  Biggest difference in Ray is that due to the absense of talent we have few other options and that (along with good coaching by Miles) has allowed him to play with more confidence.

Shields and Rivers are looking like our best players.  Thinking both will be starting next year.  

I agree that both are our best players this year, but I feel that Rivers is likely to face stiff competition for minutes from both Petteway and Fuller next year, both of whom are similar body types. 

I figure that two starters will come from a group consisting of Gallegos, Biggs and Webster.

Shields and Pitchford seem like near locks to start at this point, which would make four.

I believe that the fifth starter will come from the group of Rivers, Petteway and Fuller. Of course, any of the forwards being recruited right now would factor into the mix.

Parker just doesn't have it in my opinion.  People talk about his defense and I don't see him.  I've watched him exclusively on defensive at times in case I'm wrong about him.  I see the player he's guarding blow right by many times and is out of position at other times.  He's obviously undersized don't really see anything special he brings offensively or defensively.  People like to cheer and pull for the little guy and think that might be some of the case with Parker.  I think he tries hard but don't think he's the type of player Miles wants running the show moving forward.  I'll be very surprised it Parker gets more than 3-5 minutes a game next year at the very most.  My hunch is that he won't see the floor a lot. 

Couple things work in Parkers favor, though.  First, he should be healthy by then, he's not now.  Plus, he'll be the only true point guard on the team.  Gallegos, Webster and Biggs all are more suited for the 2 spot.  There will be minutes for Parker if he can get the team into and out of the offense.

Don't need a true point if you have multiple combo guards.  I don't think Parker is good enough unfortunately for this level of play.  You have got to have perimiter guys on the court that are threats to score. 

And that may be what happens.  You also don't need a scorer at the point of the other four can score.  All he has to do is get the ball where it needs to be.

He doesn't have to score a bunch, but he has to hit enough shots to keep the defense honest.  That's any PG.

I still think Parker has minutes on this team in the future....look, the guy was thrown into the wolves with VERY little supporting cast.  If you put some decent shooters around him to open up the floor a bit I think that will help him tremendously get into the lane and dish to shooter or get to the rim.  The guys a FRESHMAN people and was asked to start on a very below average team.  I for one think he will only get better and hope he knows this.  He could be a great spark/change of pace for us next year and in the future IMO.

He doesn't have to score a bunch, but he has to hit enough shots to keep the defense honest.  That's any PG.

If he can get to the rim on occasion when he gets back healthy, that should be enough. 

Dylan Talley is currently showing you how running the offense as a combo guard is working....which is currently what we're doing instead of running a true point guard.  Parker is now fighting David Rivers for minutes...until he can transform himself into a scoring option he's simply not going to see playing time this year and next.