Shields, Rivers, and Parker

bobcat402

Shields- i expected he'd be solid this year and a better next, but this is just crazy he has stepped his game up to a whole new level and its awesome. I think its only gonna get better has he gets 100% which is kinda of scary considering just a 4-5 games ago we thought he might be done for the year with his elbow

Rivers- he has come out of the blue this year and i think he will continue an upward trend has each game goes by and his confidence grows, id like him to shoot the jumper more and stretch the defense.

Parker- i might be in the minority here but...i like him he is just a wolverine on defense and he needs more confidence in his shot, once that comes i think he will be a good player for this team. i said it before but im still in the opinon that biggs will back him up with webster if he is as advertised at the 2

Can't say enough about Shields as he is becoming our best player (if he's not already).  The kid will only continue to get better.

Rivers is improving under Miles.  He knows he has more freedom this year and won't get pulled so quickly.  He is slowing becoming the player I expected him to be.

Parker just doesn't have it in my opinion.  People talk about his defense and I don't see him.  I've watched him exclusively on defensive at times in case I'm wrong about him.  I see the player he's guarding blow right by many times and is out of position at other times.  He's obviously undersized don't really see anything special he brings offensively or defensively.  People like to cheer and pull for the little guy and think that might be some of the case with Parker.  I think he tries hard but don't think he's the type of player Miles wants running the show moving forward.  I'll be very surprised it Parker gets more than 3-5 minutes a game next year at the very most.  My hunch is that he won't see the floor alot. 

i guess i see parker and i see an aggresive freshman that is willing to get in someones face and play strong d albeit with an injury right now. i see parker and say to myself and a year he will be healthy a year under his belt and a whole offseason to work in his jumper.

Parker just doesn't have it in my opinion.  People talk about his defense and I don't see him.  I've watched him exclusively on defensive at times in case I'm wrong about him.  I see the player he's guarding blow right by many times and is out of position at other times.  He's obviously undersized don't really see anything special he brings offensively or defensively.  People like to cheer and pull for the little guy and think that might be some of the case with Parker.  I think he tries hard but don't think he's the type of player Miles wants running the show moving forward.  I'll be very surprised it Parker gets more than 3-5 minutes a game next year at the very most.  My hunch is that he won't see the floor a lot. 

Couple things work in Parkers favor, though.  First, he should be healthy by then, he's not now.  Plus, he'll be the only true point guard on the team.  Gallegos, Webster and Biggs all are more suited for the 2 spot.  There will be minutes for Parker if he can get the team into and out of the offense.

Parker just doesn't have it in my opinion.  People talk about his defense and I don't see him.  I've watched him exclusively on defensive at times in case I'm wrong about him.  I see the player he's guarding blow right by many times and is out of position at other times.  He's obviously undersized don't really see anything special he brings offensively or defensively.  People like to cheer and pull for the little guy and think that might be some of the case with Parker.  I think he tries hard but don't think he's the type of player Miles wants running the show moving forward.  I'll be very surprised it Parker gets more than 3-5 minutes a game next year at the very most.  My hunch is that he won't see the floor a lot. 

Couple things work in Parkers favor, though.  First, he should be healthy by then, he's not now.  Plus, he'll be the only true point guard on the team.  Gallegos, Webster and Biggs all are more suited for the 2 spot.  There will be minutes for Parker if he can get the team into and out of the offense.

+1

Big stretch to just assume that Webster and Biggs are better suited for the 2 spot.

Shields is going to be a very very good player here for us

Rivers is developing into an okay role player.  Getting better.  Gonna be interesting though next year with Fuller and Petteway though

Parker is very meh to me.  

Webster maybe, but as long as Biggs turns it over as often as he assists like he did at Seward County, he shouldn't be initiating the offense.

Maybe part of the reason he redshirted was to get acclimated at point at the next level.   Maybe he won't have to do as much here as he had to do at Seward County.   Looking at an assist to turnover ratio from one-year at JUCO probably isn't the best thing to go off of.

Webster maybe, but as long as Biggs turns it over as often as he assists like he did at Seward County, he shouldn't be initiating the offense.

Maybe part of the reason he redshirted was to get acclimated at point at the next level.   Maybe he won't have to do as much here as he had to do at Seward County.   Looking at an assist to turnover ratio from one-year at JUCO probably isn't the best thing to go off of.

It's all I have to go by and I'd trust it more than most high school stats.  Gallegos redshirted for the exact same reason and didn't really solve the issue.  Parker won't be the only guy to play PG next year, Biggs, Webster and perhaps even Gallegos will get time there, but I think a healthy Parker gets a pretty decent chunk of time there.

It's all I have to go by and I'd trust it more than most high school stats.  Gallegos redshirted for the exact same reason and didn't really solve the issue.  Parker won't be the only guy to play PG next year, Biggs, Webster and perhaps even Gallegos will get time there, but I think a healthy Parker gets a pretty decent chunk of time there.

Didnt he redshirt because he wasnt going to play much last year?  

I don't think you will see much of Parker next year. 

The story I remember was he sat out because he wanted to get stronger and develop his game.  I remember an article about him learning to play the point.  I'm sure playing time was part of the equation as well, though there was playing time to be had last year.

The story I remember was he sat out because he wanted to get stronger and develop his game.  I remember an article about him learning to play the point.  I'm sure playing time was part of the equation as well, though there was playing time to be had last year.

He likely wasn't going to be beating out Spencer, Richardson, Talley for alot of time last year.  He may have played some but it was likely going to be in a supporting role

huh?  you don't think gallegos redshirting helped his game?  he looks like a completely different player now than he did as a sophomore and freshman.  he's not great, but he is much better than i thought he'd be

Not as a point guard, no.

he's not a point guard though..  he was recruited as a 2, played his first two seasons as a 2, and is a 2 this year.  he may have wanted to learn how to play point, but you can only teach a guy so much before he reaches his ceiling and sometimes that ceiling isn't high enough.  biggs has played point his entire life.  i also think Biggs is a better raw player than Gallegos.

huh?  you don't think gallegos redshirting helped his game?  he looks like a completely different player now than he did as a sophomore and freshman.  he's not great, but he is much better than i thought he'd be

Not as a point guard, no.

he's not a point guard though..  he was recruited as a 2, played his first two seasons as a 2, and is a 2 this year.  he may have wanted to learn how to play point, but you can only teach a guy so much before he reaches his ceiling and sometimes that ceiling isn't high enough.  biggs has played point his entire life.  i also think Biggs is a better raw player than Gallegos.

I know he's not, but one of the reasons he sat was to learn the position.  That may have been abandoned early on, but that was one of the reasons give for him sitting last year.

yea i understand what you're saying.  i'm just speaking from a purely developmental perspective.  i remember watching gallegos as a freshman and sophomore and it seemed like it took him 10 seconds to get a shot off and he was completely worthless if he wasn't wide open, spotting up.  now he has one of the quickest releases i've ever seen from a guy at Nebraska and he is far from a spot up shooter

his game has improved substantially IMO

yea i understand what you're saying.  i'm just speaking from a purely developmental perspective.  i remember watching gallegos as a freshman and sophomore and it seemed like it took him 10 seconds to get a shot off and he was completely worthless if he wasn't wide open, spotting up.  now he has one of the quickest releases i've ever seen from a guy at Nebraska and he is far from a spot up shooter

his game has improved substantially IMO

No question Ray has improved a ton, but uneblinstu is right, redshirting didn't do much from a point guard standpoint.  Still doesn't have good handles and isn't strong with the ball.   Watch the tape of Ray's turnover following Ubel's alleged flagrant elbow for a good example.

I have to respectfully disagree that Ray's game used to be as a spot up shooter.  During the open practice era his first two years, and some limited game action, it was obvious his strength was the midrange jumper, when he elevated into the shot off the dribble.  He always struggled as a spot up jump shooter., especially from long range.  He has improved as a spot up shooter, and is better although still inconsistent from 3 point range (but what a great shot to put up up 6 late yesterday; that could have been the difference in the game and it isn't getting much play).  He still is at his best when he can dribble into a midrange jumper. 

Don't need a true point if you have multiple combo guards.  I don't think Parker is good enough unfortunately for this level of play.  You have got to have perimiter guys on the court that are threats to score. 

Shields and Rivers are looking like our best players.  Thinking both will be starting next year.  Looked like Parker played good defense yesterday but I didn't watch him the whole time.  There will be some minutes for him next year.

The best thing is these guys are buying in and getting a win shows them to keep with the process.  Now if we can get Vooch some minutes...

Shields looks like the type that could blossom into an all Big 10 type player down the road.  Rivers still needs to work on that shot of his.  He has the nice long body that can be great on defense.  He needs to become a more reliable shooter.  Perhaps I have less confidence than most in him shooting because I don't like how it looks.