Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

16 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Craig Smith was named the summit league coach of the year today. Hope he wasn't the genius behind Miles early success. 

Reading this (or something close to this, I'm not singling you out here @The Polish Rifle) is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  People are quick to dismiss 2014 when talking about the Miles tenure at NU as it being "just the team getting lucky and going on a run" at the end of the season, a fluke if you will.

Then they turn around and claim that coach Smith is the reason for success and we lost the mojo when he took the USD job.  Well guess what?  He was also around for the other season and a half when the team struggled.  Can't we also assume that he was also part of the problem as well as part of the successful "lucky" run in 2014?

It just seems lazy to assume that had Smith stayed with the program, everything would be hunky dory, or that somehow he's a better coach than Miles.  He left.  He's not coming back to Nebraska.  Ever.  We gotta let it go.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:34 PM, HuskerFever said:

Since we're on the topic... Marc Boehm, are you in there?

tumblr_mokwy4dlyL1ryd036o3_250.gif

I will never understand how he has been allowed to keep his job for so many years after so many failures on and off the court during his tenure.  I'd say it's a joke, but it's not; it's infuriating.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

If we lose to Michigan and lose the first round game in the Big Ten tournament, Miles will need to go 20-10 next season to be over 0.500 winning at Nebraska (assuming a 30 game season).

There are many people who want you to put a period right before the 20-10.

Just sayin'....

12 hours ago, 49r said:

Reading this (or something close to this, I'm not singling you out here @The Polish Rifle) is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  People are quick to dismiss 2014 when talking about the Miles tenure at NU as it being "just the team getting lucky and going on a run" at the end of the season, a fluke if you will.

Then they turn around and claim that coach Smith is the reason for success and we lost the mojo when he took the USD job.  Well guess what?  He was also around for the other season and a half when the team struggled.  Can't we also assume that he was also part of the problem as well as part of the successful "lucky" run in 2014?

It just seems lazy to assume that had Smith stayed with the program, everything would be hunky dory, or that somehow he's a better coach than Miles.  He left.  He's not coming back to Nebraska.  Ever.  We gotta let it go.

Just because he is gone and is not coming back doesn't make it possible that he was a big part of the X and O process that led us to the dance.  

You bring up the other season and a half he was here.  The first season amazes me that we won as many games as we did.  It was incredible coaching by the staff IMO.  Never forget closing out the Devaney with a great win over a decent Minny team.  And won a tourney game if memory serves.  What else would you hope for out of that season exactly?  And while we did struggle the first half of that next season, we kept getting better.  Something that has not occurred since he left.  We have seemed to play worse in the years since he left as the season went along.  Arguably better in both he was here. 

Just because you don't like the thought of him having a lot to do with our success doesn't make it the case that he didn't.  It could all just be an incredible coincidence.  I am not in that camp, nor have I ever been since watching our X's and O's get worse since he has been gone. 

Edited by royalfan

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I wish this thread would just go away.  I hate logging on to this site and seeing it at the top of the page.

(You might think I'm contributing to prolonging it, but maybe I'm contributing to ending it.)

That's where I am. This season is hard enough without seeing this thread constantly at the top. And "Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)" just grates on me. If it's complete BS, then why start a thread? It also grates on me that every time I complain about it, the thread goes back to the top. This is a grate season.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That's where I am. This season is hard enough without seeing this thread constantly at the top. And "Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)" just grates on me. If it's complete BS, then why start a thread? It also grates on me that every time I complain about it, the thread goes back to the top. This is a grate season.

Well our President is trying to make us Grate again.

11 hours ago, 49r said:

Smith runs the same I DON'T LIKE TO WATCH THIS motion/assist free stuff that Miles does.  His team also isn't great at shooting...it's just getting to the FT line like we used to.

15 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Smith runs the same I DON'T LIKE TO WATCH THIS motion/assist free stuff that Miles does.  His team also isn't great at shooting...it's just getting to the FT line like we used to.

Right, that's what I don't understand.  People act like the offense was completely different when Smith was around.  But, no, it wasn't.  It's the same thing we run now...exactly.  Now, maybe an argument can be made that Smith was the one who could keep Walt in line and his shooting hot streak at the end of the '14 season was due to Smith's coaching.  But that might be a bit of a stretch.