Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

19 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

No public support? What exactly are you looking for Eichorst to come out and say?  Also, in one sentence you say it's bad his "sniffing around practice" and in the next you say he's not visual enough around the coaches/team.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't type of deal?

Agreed. I'd say overall that's as glowing of an endorsement that one is going to get from an AD who is trying to stick to a no-comment to the end of the season policy.

I think everyone has a different interpretation of what Eichorst said that certainly will be influenced by how they feel about him.  Devoid of that context I'm reading that our AD is overall positive about how this thing is going but won't make a decision either way until the end of the season. Which way is he leaning though?

Does it mean he's leaning towards retaining regardless of how the season ends? Does that mean we have to be 'competitive' in our last remaining games? Does that mean we have to win one more game? Does that mean we need to make the NIT or NCAA? 

37 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

No public support? What exactly are you looking for Eichorst to come out and say?  Also, in one sentence you say it's bad his "sniffing around practice" and in the next you say he's not visual enough around the coaches/team.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't type of deal?

"(Miles) has done a terrific job managing our program," Eichorst said.

Q: Let's switch gears to basketball. What do you want to see from the Nebraska men's team the rest of the season that would show you satisfactory progress?

Eichorst: "Continued growth. They've really worked hard. Tim (Miles) has worked his tail off. He's got a great group of assistants around him. I really like the nucleus — the young nucleus. Obviously, I think he would want them to be a little bit further along. But they've played a really good schedule up to this point. No one's making any excuses. We will never do that. I just think we want to see improvement."

Q: So, you gauge it by what you see?

Eichorst: "I think that's right. And I think we just need to have reasonable expectations around it, and support. We'll kind of dissect it all at the end. We're in the middle. The Big Ten's a formidable league. I know this: The effort's been there. The preparation's been there from what I've seen in practice. And we've had some guys dinged up. Again, there are no excuses there, but you have to take that into consideration as you look at the whole thing.

"I'm very, very optimistic about where we're at."

Q: Is there anything to read into you deciding not to extend Miles' contract after last season?

Eichorst: "It's a fair question. He doesn't read into it. I haven't read into it. I think Tim and I come from the same backgrounds. He comes from a small town, I come from a small town. He worked himself up through the ranks, I worked myself up through the ranks.

"We're not working for contracts. We're trying to do the right thing, and we're trying to be successful and represent the institution the right way. We know when all of that comes together we'll win ballgames. He's a winner. He's won every place he's been, and I'd like to think I've had success every place I've been. Tim and I see life the same way, and I think we see basketball the same way.

"We'll just keep working hard."

Those are all nice quotes, but again it comes down to whether you trust anything that comes out of this guy's mouth.  I don't, and I have my reasons.  Not to mention that last non-answer  was a pat yourself on the back thing when the question had nothing to do with you.   "worked my way up through the ranks", I've had success everywhere I've gone" blah blah.   Please tell us how wonderful you are, Shawn.  

11 minutes ago, HB said:

Those are all nice quotes, but again it comes down to whether you trust anything that comes out of this guy's mouth.  I don't, and I have my reasons.  Not to mention that last non-answer  was a pat yourself on the back thing when the question had nothing to do with you.   "worked my way up through the ranks", I've had success everywhere I've gone" blah blah.   Please tell us how wonderful you are, Shawn.  

He may be talking out of his arse...I don't know.  But let's say he doesn't like Miles and doesn't believe he's the right fit...are people expecting him to come out and say that right now? Or do you remain quiet?  And if he remains quiet...people are all up in arms.  And if he does come out and publically support Miles people claim it's a lie.   And don't mistake me for some Eichorst fan boy, I really don't know enough about him but I just don't know what else he could do in this situation.   I will say I believe a lot of the speculation stems from what transpired in the offseason and IF we just end up extending Miles at years end then Eichorst should get some grief for adding fuel to the fire. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Regardless of which side of the Miles coin you fall (and I think he deserves another year no matter how this one ends), it seems a bit naive to expect Eichorst to do anything but mouth platitudes at this point. If Tim ends the year on an up note (3-4 more wins), he will probably get offered a sideways step somewhere and the AD can save face by hiring someone he wants more or else just decide to retain him for another year. If the year ends poorly, the AD will seem to have more justification for forcing him out. Either way, the AD benefits by saying nothing significant until the season plays out. And exactly what did happen in the off season, AWIII and his dad deciding to manipulate things to further his NBA??career? Or is there something else we do not know.?

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

"(Miles) has done a terrific job managing our program," Eichorst said.

Q: Let's switch gears to basketball. What do you want to see from the Nebraska men's team the rest of the season that would show you satisfactory progress?

Eichorst: "Continued growth. They've really worked hard. Tim (Miles) has worked his tail off. He's got a great group of assistants around him. I really like the nucleus — the young nucleus. Obviously, I think he would want them to be a little bit further along. But they've played a really good schedule up to this point. No one's making any excuses. We will never do that. I just think we want to see improvement."

Q: So, you gauge it by what you see?

Eichorst: "I think that's right. And I think we just need to have reasonable expectations around it, and support. We'll kind of dissect it all at the end. We're in the middle. The Big Ten's a formidable league. I know this: The effort's been there. The preparation's been there from what I've seen in practice. And we've had some guys dinged up. Again, there are no excuses there, but you have to take that into consideration as you look at the whole thing.

"I'm very, very optimistic about where we're at."

Q: Is there anything to read into you deciding not to extend Miles' contract after last season?

Eichorst: "It's a fair question. He doesn't read into it. I haven't read into it. I think Tim and I come from the same backgrounds. He comes from a small town, I come from a small town. He worked himself up through the ranks, I worked myself up through the ranks.

"We're not working for contracts. We're trying to do the right thing, and we're trying to be successful and represent the institution the right way. We know when all of that comes together we'll win ballgames. He's a winner. He's won every place he's been, and I'd like to think I've had success every place I've been. Tim and I see life the same way, and I think we see basketball the same way.

"We'll just keep working hard."

When I say visual around the team, I'm talking in public--like when he's hanging around the sideline at football games ass-slapping the players and cheering from Riley's back pocket. Or providing the new football staff with many more resources than he did the old staff. I'm not saying it wasn't time for Bo to leave either. 

And as as someone else mentioned, there's a lot of I's in Shawn's answer.  

i will stick by my sources on what I've heard

17 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

If you pulled up the right one, it's in there.  Just like whoever first mentioned it said, it's about 2 min left in the segment and Sharp says something like "Would it surprise you if Miles is gone at season's end but leaves voluntarily for another program?"  Benning responds with an emphatic "Nope!" and then says something like "I can't believe you went there."  And then says again it wouldn't surprise him.  As though there's some specific reason the above scenario wouldn't surprise him, something both he and Gary are aware of, but Benning didn't expect Gary to kind of "go public" with the insinuation.

I don't know how else you interpret that exchange.

13 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Maybe I missed it but I didn't hear anything mentioned about Miles bolting at years end in that segment. 

I don't think that's the right clip.

The correct one is labeled "Gotta A Feeling" and it's on 2/28.

And Benning responds to Sharp's inquiry by saying "I would not be shocked at all and I can't believe you just went there."

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

And Benning responds to Sharp's inquiry by saying "I would not be shocked at all and I can't believe you just went there."

That was... without hesitation.

This isn't going to end well no matter what happens. Eichorst is in over his head and will be on the chopping block next year after football suffers again. And so the basketball program will suffer the wrath of SE even after he's gone with whoever he chooses to lead the basketball program. Eichorst doesn't like Miles and is trying to push him out. The end of this season is full of distractions for Miles. If you're a Miles hater you would be happy to hear all the things SE is doing to derail the train. 

52 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Thanks for finding the right one.

I've always though Miles would leave before he was fired so this isn't some big shock to hear some speculation; coaches are known to do this and Miles has an agent you can talk to. Sharp is obviously well connected so he very well might know something; he also might just be speculating.

20 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Thanks for finding the right one.

I've always though Miles would leave before he was fired so this isn't some big shock to hear some speculation; coaches are known to do this and Miles has an agent you can talk to. Sharp is obviously well connected so he very well might know something; he also might just be speculating.

I've had a job where I did that.

At previous stops, Miles has spent 2, 4, 6, and 5 years at those places.  Now, he was always taking a better job, but he has never spent more than 6 years anywhere as a head coach.  Also, all those jobs he improved year over year, except here, where he has so far peaked in year 2 then regressed (using wins and losses) in years 3,4, and 5.  I don't think it would that big of a shock especially considering next year will be NCAA or bust type year.

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

This isn't going to end well no matter what happens. Eichorst is in over his head and will be on the chopping block next year after football suffers again. And so the basketball program will suffer the wrath of SE even after he's gone with whoever he chooses to lead the basketball program. Eichorst doesn't like Miles and is trying to push him out. The end of this season is full of distractions for Miles. If you're a Miles hater you would be happy to hear all the things SE is doing to derail the train. 

Is there a reason you cannot mention some of the things he is doing to derail the train?  The next thing that Eichorst does that impresses me will be the first. 

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I still don't get the hate for Eichorst.

He likes himself too much

He has different rules for his "guy"

He doesn't have great relationships in the Athletic Dept

Is there a sport that is better now from when he started?

He is not genuine

He is on the sideline during football games

He talks about an Energy Bus way too much--his leadership came from a book and not from within

I'm sure there are more but that's a start

2 minutes ago, Jugular said:

He likes himself too much

He has different rules for his "guy"

He doesn't have great relationships in the Athletic Dept

Is there a sport that is better now from when he started?

He is not genuine

He is on the sideline during football games

He talks about an Energy Bus way too much--his leadership came from a book and not from within

I think every AD is going to have different rules for his guy.

As far as a sports being better.  Men's hoops is an example that is trending downwards.   But if he steps in and makes a change to improve it, this board would rip him apart.  Seems to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

It all comes down to football and men's basketball for me.   I'm still intrigued with the Riley hire.   He's everything you want as a leader representing your program away from the field.  Remains to be seen how successful he'll be on it.   Want to see what he does with an actual QB and his guys.  

My guess is SE would just assume have Miles win so he doesn't have to make a change.

32 minutes ago, nustudent said:

As far as a sports being better.  Men's hoops is an example that is trending downwards.   But if he steps in and makes a change to improve it, this board would rip him apart.  Seems to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

It all comes down to football and men's basketball for me.   I'm still intrigued with the Riley hire.   He's everything you want as a leader representing your program away from the field.  Remains to be seen how successful he'll be on it.   Want to see what he does with an actual QB and his guys.  

My guess is SE would just assume have Miles win so he doesn't have to make a change.

His tenure will be strictly graded on Riley.  He is great off the field.  But Bo really wasn't an issue off the field.  His press conferences weren't popular but if he had won a conference championship and not had a few other bad games people would've let that slide. I wouldn't say football is trending upward unfortunately. We were dog shit in year 1 when there was no excuse to not win at least 8-9 games. Then this year we improved the record but were absolutely embarrassed two different times.  We will see the next 2 years--the "Bo's players" excuse shouldn't be used anymore. And our schedule is definitely on the difficult side. 6-7 win seasons are definitely a possibility.  Hopefully Tanner Lee and Diaco are as advertised!

6 hours ago, nustudent said:

I still don't get the hate for Eichorst.

For some reason I don't weigh Football multiple times higher than I probably should.  I don't hate the Riley hire at all.  I like him.  I hope it works.  That being said, we should be able to get a solid coach.  That is what we got.  Nobody was calling this a huge home run at the time I don't think. 

The women's basketball situation has me doubting him in general.  What a disaster. 

Edited by royalfan

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

Also intrigued by the Riley hire but being honest that's all it is at this point. About the same as it was for Miles in year 2. Likeable and provided an infusion of recruiting buzz that hadn't been there in the past.

4 hours ago, Jugular said:

His tenure will be strictly graded on Riley.  He is great off the field.  But Bo really wasn't an issue off the field.  His press conferences weren't popular but if he had won a conference championship and not had a few other bad games people would've let that slide. I wouldn't say football is trending upward unfortunately. We were dog shit in year 1 when there was no excuse to not win at least 8-9 games. Then this year we improved the record but were absolutely embarrassed two different times.  We will see the next 2 years--the "Bo's players" excuse shouldn't be used anymore. And our schedule is definitely on the difficult side. 6-7 win seasons are definitely a possibility.  Hopefully Tanner Lee and Diaco are as advertised!

Agree with you that's what he will be known by.   Disagree with you that Bo wasn't an issue off the field.   Media hated him.  Fans hated him.  The audio tapes.  Lack of respect for the program.  Agree that had Bo won something people would have let some of that slide.   He didn't though.   You can act like Saban all you want...but you better win like him too.

To me its unknown which direction the program is moving.   You have to feel good about the recruiting side of things.   The 2015 season was obviously frustrating from a W/L perspective but we really werent any different of a team than we had been the prior few years.   A hail mary here and missed field goal there and we're the exact same time.   Combine that with the declining talent base (and positions where the talent was located), chemistry/buy in issues and overall bad luck and thats what you get.  

Will agree with you that Riley needs to make sure these recruiting classes are legit because things ramp up here and expectations are high.   I think a few major issues from the last two years get corrected this year.....OL and QB.   A little concerned about playmaking ability in our front 7 though, but I do think the 3-4 fits some of our DEs abilities a bit better.

18 hours ago, Jugular said:

He likes himself too much <-- don't most AD's?  Look at Barry Alvarez

He has different rules for his "guy" <-- that is human nature as most people would

He doesn't have great relationships in the Athletic Dept <-- and you know this how?

Is there a sport that is better now from when he started? <-- NU woman's volleyball is pretty solid.  All sports weren't that great under T.O. either.

He is not genuine <-- that is just your opinion.  I'm sure others would say he is.

He is on the sideline during football games <-- is that a job requirement or why does he need to be on the sideline during a game?  Lots of AD's aren't

He talks about an Energy Bus way too much--his leadership came from a book and not from within <-- not even worth commenting on.

See comments above

Updated:

Win vs Sacramento State, 83-61 (+22pts)
Win vs University of Mary, 70-38 (+32pts)
Win vs Louisiana Tech, 65-54 (+11pts)
Win ne Dayton, 80-78 (+2pts)
Loss ne UCLA, 71-82 (-11pts)
Loss ne Virginia Tech, 53-66 (-13pts)
Loss at Clemson, 58-60 (-2pts)
Win vs South Dakota, 73-61 (+12pts)
Loss vs Creighton, 62-77 (-15pts)
Loss vs Kansas, 72-89 (-17pts)
Loss vs Gardner-Webb, 62-70 (-8pts)
Win vs Southern, 81-76 (+5pts)
Win at Indiana, 87-83 (+4pts)
Win at Maryland, 67-65 (+2pts)
Win vs Iowa, 93-90 2OT (+3pts)
Loss vs Northwestern, 66-74 (-8pts)
Loss at Michigan, 85-91 (-6pts)
Loss vs Ohio State, 66-67 (-1pts)
Loss at Rutgers, 64-65 (-1pts)
Loss at Northwestern, 61-73 (-12pts)
Win  vs Purdue 83-80, (+3pts)
Loss vs Michigan State, 61-72 (-11pts)
Loss at Iowa, 70-81 (-11pts)

Loss vs Wisconsin, 69-70 OT (-1pts)

Win vs Penn State, 82-66 (+16pts)

Win at Ohio State, 58-57 (+1pts)

Loss at Michigan State, 72-88 (-16pts)

Loss vs Illinois, 57-73 (-16pts)

Loss at Minnesota, 73-88 (-15pts)

Records:
Games between 0-4 points: 6-4 (5-3)
Games between 5-9 points: 1-3 (0-2)

Double-digit games: 5-10 (1-6)

Top 5 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 16 (Penn State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech)

Top 5 largest defeats: 17 (Kansas), 16 (Michigan State), 16 (Illinois), 15 (Creighton), 15 (Minnesota)

Three of our top 5 largest defeats have all come in these last three games.