Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

On 2/22/2017 at 9:37 PM, northwillriseagain said:

Looking up on cbs sports, we have the #1 SOS with what is considered the 3rd youngest(behind Kentucky &a Oklahoma) of the major conference teams, averaging only 19.7 years old.

i know youth in basketball can be misleading, but when it isn't 5 star talent, it takes development. This team shows too much promise for next year to break it up.

If next year doesn't show much improvement, I think a change would be necessary, though.

But wait, I read on Rivals that everyone else is just as young as we are.

54 minutes ago, 49r said:

...and it's not an excuse anyway Norm, it's not like football where players have to develop.  Freshmen can come in and contribute right away.  I mean, look at Kentucky and Kansas and Duke...

But in fairness they are 5 star, MaDonald's AA, one year play'n, lottery pick Freshman.

Ours are hard working, 3+ish star, lunch pail carring, gotta be perfect to beat ya Freshman.

58 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

But in fairness they are 5 star, MaDonald's AA, one year play'n, lottery pick Freshman.

Ours are hard working, 3+ish star, lunch pail carring, gotta be perfect to beat ya Freshman.

Certainly won't argue with that.  And if our freshmen were developed enough, one could/would assume they would all be seeing more minutes.  Of course, this is subjective to the thinking of the HC I suppose.

Updated:

Win vs Sacramento State, 83-61 (+22pts)
Win vs University of Mary, 70-38 (+32pts)
Win vs Louisiana Tech, 65-54 (+11pts)
Win ne Dayton, 80-78 (+2pts)
Loss ne UCLA, 71-82 (-11pts)
Loss ne Virginia Tech, 53-66 (-13pts)
Loss at Clemson, 58-60 (-2pts)
Win vs South Dakota, 73-61 (+12pts)
Loss vs Creighton, 62-77 (-15pts)
Loss vs Kansas, 72-89 (-17pts)
Loss vs Gardner-Webb, 62-70 (-8pts)
Win vs Southern, 81-76 (+5pts)
Win at Indiana, 87-83 (+4pts)
Win at Maryland, 67-65 (+2pts)
Win vs Iowa, 93-90 2OT (+3pts)
Loss vs Northwestern, 66-74 (-8pts)
Loss at Michigan, 85-91 (-6pts)
Loss vs Ohio State, 66-67 (-1pts)
Loss at Rutgers, 64-65 (-1pts)
Loss at Northwestern, 61-73 (-12pts)
Win  vs Purdue 83-80, (+3pts)
Loss vs Michigan State, 61-72 (-11pts)
Loss at Iowa, 70-81 (-11pts)

Loss vs Wisconsin, 69-70 OT (-1pts)

Win vs Penn State, 82-66 (+16pts)

Win at Ohio State, 58-57 (+1pts)

Loss at Michigan State, 72-88 (-16pts)

Loss vs Illinois, 57-73 (-16pts)

Records:
Games between 0-4 points: 6-4 (5-3)
Games between 5-9 points: 1-3 (0-2)

Double-digit games: 5-9 (1-5)

Top 5 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 16 (Penn State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech)

Top 5 largest defeats: 17 (Kansas), 16 (Michigan State), 16 (Illinois), 15 (Creighton), 13 (Virginia Tech)

Two double digit losses in a row. That has happened four times this season (UCLA/VaTech, Creighton/Kansas, Michigan State/Iowa, Michigan State/Illinois).

Even after this Illinois game, I feel that if we can give Collier, and Sadler, 6 seasons, with what they did.  We should give Miles a 6th year.  That NCAA tourney bid (coach of the year also btw) bought him another year or two if you ask me.  When it clicks, I think it will be worth the wait, and investment in time with coach Miles.

Miles could lose out, go sub .500 next year and I'd still argue he gets one more shot.

Every time they show the graphic of the current big 10 standings I get excited.  Not because we're in the bottom bracket, but because of the shake up in the league. 

If we're a school with a history, I'd be on the fire wagon.  We're a school with, let's be honest, no history.  A change at this point would cement that for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, a0t0w0 said:

Miles could lose out, go sub .500 next year and I'd still argue he gets one more shot.

Every time they show the graphic of the current big 10 standings I get excited.  Not because we're in the bottom bracket, but because of the shake up in the league. 

If we're a school with a history, I'd be on the fire wagon.  We're a school with, let's be honest, no history.  A change at this point would cement that for the foreseeable future.

Sub .500 next year and there's a 0% chance he'd be back for a seventh.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

It might be worthwhile to note that of 56 HHCC participants, here was the following conference prediction before league play unfolded:

Conf W Number of Predictions
1 0
2 0
3 1
4 2
5 8
6 15
7 13
8 7
9 2
10 4
11 0
12 3
13 0
14 0
15 1
16 0
17 0
18 0

So expectations again...the season is going to turn out about how everyone expected it to. Pieces are in place but people are doubting Miles' ability to coach them into anything. Then you look at Webster as a successful developer over 4 years and think that this type of development could occur with several other young guys on the roster. Guys, Tai is hurting. Multiple body parts. His tank is about empty and he's who the team is relying on. We beat a Purdue, take Wisconsin to OT, and have a game like the one against Penn State and fans are liking what they see. They see flashes of what could be a very bright future. Then you have games like the ones against Michigan State and Illinois and fans say NCAA tournament win won't ever happen with Miles and that he needs to go. Win now or get out mentality and that he's out of excuses. I get it but nobody expected a lot from this season. The frustration I think comes from being close, getting the flashes of what could be, having hope, and then falling flat on our faces the next game. That's where it comes from. That's the reality of having a young team. That doesn't excuse the losing but it's a reality that has to be added to the discussion. If we were getting blown out by 20 and 30 every game then I don't think the level of frustration would be so high.

Personally, I really hope we stay the course with Miles because to me I see the potential of a young talented team. Others are over it, and i can see why someone might have those thoughts. 

I have zero faith in Eichorst hiring a basketball coach. Zero. I could see him staying the course because of his other 2 hires here still being very questionable in my mind, but I could also see him trying to redeem himself on the first 2. Scary stuff. Zero faith in Eichorst.

2 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

I have zero faith in Eichorst hiring a basketball coach. Zero. I could see him staying the course because of his other 2 hires here still being very questionable in my mind, but I could also see him trying to redeem himself on the first 2. Scary stuff. Zero faith in Eichorst.

This.

So very much this.

For a little more granularity:

2015-2016 HHCC:

Non-Conference (input from 56 members): 9.5 avg wins, 11 max, 7 min; ACTUAL: 8-5

Conference (input from 42 members): 7.3 avg wins, 10 max, 4 min; ACTUAL: 6-12

2016-2017 HHCC:

Non-Conference (input from 65 members): 8.7 avg wins, 11 max, 7 min; ACTUAL: 6-6

Conference (input from 56 members): 7.1 avg wins, 15 max, 3 min; ACTUAL: 6-12, 7-11, or 8-10

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

It might be worthwhile to note that of 56 HHCC participants, here was the following conference prediction before league play unfolded:

Conf W Number of Predictions
1 0
2 0
3 1
4 2
5 8
6 15
7 13
8 7
9 2
10 4
11 0
12 3
13 0
14 0
15 1
16 0
17 0
18 0

Be interesting to see what these numbers were prior to the season and not at the end of the non-con (if I read the above correctly)

12 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Be interesting to see what these numbers were prior to the season and not at the end of the non-con (if I read the above correctly)

You read it correctly. I was curious how that would look as well. I figure the under-performing non-conference schedule led to at least a little devalued conference prediction.