Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

4 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

The AD has bigger worries in the Athletic Department than Men's Basketball.  Huskers are underperforming in numerous sports.  Exceptions are VB and the Track Teams.

The bowling team is pretty rad :) and I was proud that the rifle team defeated army.  Then again, that created angst that our army sharpshooters were defeated by the Huskers...

Edited by huskercwg

45 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Further, let's look at the expectations for Miles at Nebraska. He came here from Colorado State, where his five teams improved from 0-16 to 4-12 to 7-9 to 9-7 to 8-6 in conference play. The final team went to the NCAA Tournament, where CSU lost in the first round, but that's a program that has won games in the NCAAs in the past.

2012-2013 = Left a seriously depleted roster in his first year, Miles had pundits wondering if his first Nebraska team might repeat his first winless conference record from CSU five years earlier. The Cornhuskers were unanimous choices to finish in last place of the 12-team Big Ten. That team finished 5-13 in the conference, in 10th place, and defeated Purdue in the conference tournament. EXPECTATIONS EXCEEDED.

2013-2014 = Transfers Terran Petteway and Walter Pitchford were unknown quantities at the beginning of the season, when pundits included Nebraska in the league's bottom three with such in-depth analysis as "and Penn State, Northwestern and Nebraska are . . . um . . . yeah." Nebraska finished fourth in the 12-team league with an 11-7 record, losing to Ohio State in the first round of the conference tournament and to Baylor in the friggin' NCAA Tournament. EXPECTATIONS FAR EXCEEDED.

2014-2015 = So that young Nebraska team that made its run to the NCAA Tournament the year before was supposed to finish fifth in the conference. The Huskers started the year ranked, but something happened to team chemistry, and a season-ending nine-game losing streak finished a deeply disappointing 5-13 conference season. EXPECTATIONS NOT MET. BIGLY.

2015-2016 = Preseason pundits pegged the Huskers for 12th in the 14-team league, noting that Miles had to bring in six newcomers to support seniors like Benny Parker and Shavon Shields. Another losing streak to end the conference season — this time five games — left the team at 6-12 and in 11th place. However, a short three-game run in the conference tournament lightened moods a bit. EXPECTATIONS MET.

2016-2017 = It's not over, but before it began at least one site picked the Huskers to finish 14th.  Others had them 13th or 12th, if they felt generous. This was fueled, primarily, by the loss of Shields and a former Husker who transferred to Hell instead of sticking with his teammates. The Huskers still might have a four- or five-game losing streak in them to finish the season, but the likeliest bets at this point are they finish 7-11 or 8-10 in the conference, and somewhere between 8th and 10th place. EXPECTATIONS EXCEEDED.

If that happens, and the Huskers win a game in the conference tournament, it'll be Miles' fourth losing season in five years, which are the data that many are using to dismiss the optimism those of us have on this board. The argument could be that Nebraska shouldn't be entering seasons picked to finish at or near the bottom of the league, that after five years, Miles has had a chance to build a roster that should automatically be considered a mid-level conference team that contends for the post-season every year and makes the NCAA every third year or so.

My argument would be that Miles — as a coach — has exceeded expectations, based on the analysis above. I would argue that his success as a recruiter and developer of talent is still out because he sought that quick fix in Year 2 that led the team to the NCAA Tournament, and that quick fix was supposed to give him a second year of success working primarily with transfers while he built a roster from scratch with that 2015 freshman class (Watson, Jacobson, Morrow and McVeigh). But it didn't happen in 2014-2015 the way it was supposed to. In fact, I would argue that if that team had just played .500 ball in the conference — still not meeting expectations but also not suffering through a nine-game losing streak — that this wouldn't even be a discussion right now. Considering all that Miles and the Husker basketball program has been through in the past, Miles' tenure should be regarded as one that has generally exceeded expectations and is showing — right now, as I type — signs that sustained success is just around the corner.

Finally, as a reputation-point whore, I'll finish with a sentence that needs a semicolon.

Miles can coach and recruit; whether he can sustain a roster that will fulfill all our fantasies is yet to be seen. He deserves at least two more years to make that happen.

Can I just Copy this and send it to the AD please?  It is perfect.  

And yes I am serious.

In a sense I believe Miles is on the hot seat, but he won't be fired at the end of this year - no matter what. With the talent he has coming back next year it's the ultimate make or break season. If we're sniffing the dance come March he will be retained. If were under .500 again, he will be gone. I think Eichorst knows firing him this year would create blow back due to the potential for next season. If Eichorst waits a year he will be able to say he gave Miles a chance with all his guys and his most talented team to date. Its a no brainer to me. 

23 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

In a sense I believe Miles is on the hot seat, but he won't be fired at the end of this year - no matter what. With the talent he has coming back next year it's the ultimate make or break season. If we're sniffing the dance come March he will be retained. If were under .500 again, he will be gone. I think Eichorst knows firing him this year would create blow back due to the potential for next season. If Eichorst waits a year he will be able to say he gave Miles a chance with all his guys and his most talented team to date. Its a no brainer to me. 

What boggles my mind is this. The scenario I've heard the most of is that Miles should be retained at season's end but then needs to be 'sniffing the dance' (as you say) next season or else. So we currently sit at 6-8 in conference with a top 5 SOS. With average luck and a healthy Morrow, I can conservatively say that AT MINIMUM two games would be flipped and we would sit at 8-6 in conference. With the schedule we have played that would be good enough to do way more than sniff the tournament.  We would be trying to polish off 2 more wins to put us squarely in the field. 

So, despite most having low expectations heading into the year, and despite an injury seemingly being the only roadblock to making the tournament this year, we are still using this season's poor record and performance against Miles saying it's next year or else?

So what kind of free pass would Morrow not going down with injury have given Miles? Another few years no matter what next year showed? If we made the tournament this year would expectations rise again and still require sniffing the tournament next year to keep his job?

Just trying to make sense of everything and right now it's not to me. 

-Low expectations 

-top 5 SOS

-Morrow injury

-closer to tournament than you would assume when looking at record

Right now to me either Miles is good enough or he's not and it goes beyond the record. I know a lot of people aren't going to like that because you are what your record says you are, but are we just to assume that a new coach is going to have average luck? This is Nebrasketball after all.

It would be tough... but I can see us winning these next 4 games.  If we do that, and manage to go 3-1 in the Big 10 tourney, we could make the dance.

19-15 (10-8) Top 5 SOS.  Nice RPI.

Then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  It would be tough.  However, MSU doesn't look as daunting and Minny at the barn is one we could sneak out.  Beat Illinois in there and we have Michigan at home for a chance at 10-8.

It could happen and it is more realistic I believe than going 0-5 in our next 5.

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

It would be tough... but I can see us winning these next 4 games.  If we do that, and manage to go 3-1 in the Big 10 tourney, we could make the dance.

19-15 (10-8) Top 5 SOS.  Nice RPI.

Then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  It would be tough.  However, MSU doesn't look as daunting and Minny at the barn is one we could sneak out.  Beat Illinois in there and we have Michigan at home for a chance at 10-8.

It could happen and it is more realistic I believe than going 0-5 in our next 5.

In a win out scenario, 10-8 would give us RPI of 50 with the #3 SOS. I know only 15 wins taking out the Mary win, but I don't even know how much we would have to do in the conference tournament. Weak mid major year and a 10 win Big Ten team with RPI of 50. 

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

What boggles my mind is this. The scenario I've heard the most of is that Miles should be retained at season's end but then needs to be 'sniffing the dance' (as you say) next season or else. So we currently sit at 6-8 in conference with a top 5 SOS. With average luck and a healthy Morrow, I can conservatively say that AT MINIMUM two games would be flipped and we would sit at 8-6 in conference. With the schedule we have played that would be good enough to do way more than sniff the tournament.  We would be trying to polish off 2 more wins to put us squarely in the field. 

So, despite most having low expectations heading into the year, and despite an injury seemingly being the only roadblock to making the tournament this year, we are still using this season's poor record and performance against Miles saying it's next year or else?

So what kind of free pass would Morrow not going down with injury have given Miles? Another few years no matter what next year showed? If we made the tournament this year would expectations rise again and still require sniffing the tournament next year to keep his job?

Just trying to make sense of everything and right now it's not to me. 

-Low expectations 

-top 5 SOS

-Morrow injury

-closer to tournament than you would assume when looking at record

Right now to me either Miles is good enough or he's not and it goes beyond the record. I know a lot of people aren't going to like that because you are what your record says you are, but are we just to assume that a new coach is going to have average luck? This is Nebrasketball after all.

I mean if my aunt had a set of balls she would be my uncle. I don't think athletic directors sit there and play the "What If" game too often. Every team in the nation has a number of "What If's", that's not just us. 

All I'm saying is next year Miles is going to have his most loaded roster yet, and should be in the hunt to make the tournament (I honestly think we will). If he under-performs, I wouldn't be shocked if it was his last season here. Don't think that is too far-fetched to say.   

11 hours ago, jayschool said:

2012-2013 = EXPECTATIONS EXCEEDED.

2013-2014 = EXPECTATIONS FAR EXCEEDED.

2014-2015 = EXPECTATIONS NOT MET. BIGLY.

2015-2016 = EXPECTATIONS MET.

2016-2017 = EXPECTATIONS EXCEEDED.

Just curious, are these expectation measures based on what they were when he got hired or are they reset each year to rebaseline the expectation? Kind of semantics, but they are two slightly different things.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Just curious, are these expectation measures based on what they were when he got hired or are they reset each year to rebaseline the expectation? Kind of semantics, but they are two slightly different things.

Great point. The second. And that, of course, is the rub for those thinking we need a change at the top. They would argue that steady progress is expected and that hasn't been seen. I can't argue that if you simply look at year-to-year progress (as Miles achieved at CSU), but had the 2015 team achieved any kind of success, as was expected, there would have been progress through the first three years, and then the inevitable rebuild starting in 2015-2016. Unfortunately, because 2014-2015 was such a major disappointment, these past two years aren't being looked at in the way they should be — as a roster makeover begun last year and continuing this year. Next year can't be called a rebuilding year, though, because of the experience returning. That's the way I look at it:

Year 1: Survival (Done)

Year 2: Achieve (Done)

Year 3: Achieve (Not Done)

Year 4: Rebuild (Done)

Year 5: Rebuild (After White), with slight improvement (Likely Done)

So what comes next?

Year 6: Achieve (Post-season)

Year 7: Achieve (NCAA win)

Those are reasonable expectations, in my mind.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Not necessarily apples to apples but I look at the first year of the football and WBB hires and then look at us our most complete roster yet and thinking: why risk blowing it up?

Miles isn't perfect.  That's what the "fire miles" segment can't stop harping on.

Ive said it for years.  For everyone short of hiring Tom izzo or coach k (we all know no way in hell) it was a 7-8 year process to build a consistent team and roster at the time when miles was hired unless you want to cheat.

Calipari, izzo, etc were never coming here.  And if they did what the loudmouths want the sanctions would have followed.

Honestly in my opinion if EITHER aw3 doesn't transfer out OR morrow doesn't get hurt we make the ncaa and are way, way ahead of schedule if you realistically look at just how awful we were when we hired miles.

I understand that managing young adults is the job description and that injuries happen but you can't plan for everything -- and we could easily have the worst luck in history on this level of basketball.

This roster is good enough to win an ncaa game THIS year if we make a run in the next couple weeks.  Much less next year or the year after.  Yeah yeah probably won't happen this year.  So what.

Think about that one a minute -- even with all the bad years and luck that pretty much define this program and then think about what you'll do if you blow it up -- because nobody in their right mind thinks all these kids will stick around if you do.

*shrugs* just my two cents.   Take your shot.  It's the best shot we've had at a winner in almost 30 years don't be a *ahem* (fill in a bad word) and scared that we will fail.

25 minutes ago, Red Don said:

What I like about Tim Miles is he seems to be doing it the Right way!  Talented, HIGH-CHARACTER, Recruits!   (btw, what is his Graduation rate?)

And when he does have a loss of player, or personnel, he seems to always find an up-grade replacement!

Yep. And that is why that AW-III situation sort of ticks me off every time NU's shooting is abysmal in a ballgame. The *one* time Nebrasketball needs a guy to become a legend, mind you, and he blows up a nice two-year time-frame in Lincoln to be a vagabond for Jim Boeheim of all people!!! (ughh)

Edited by AuroranHusker
*For clarity*

Speaking of Andrew White, I've watched a few of his games.  Here are some observations and a question.

1.  Andrew White plays every minute of every game for Syracuse.

2.  Yet, he rarely exerts much energy--rarely breaks a sweat.  Here's why: (I) on defense, he guards a small area to the right of the lane and moves very little on any defensive possession; and (Ii) on offense, he hangs around the wings behind the three point line and occasionally drives to the rim.

Question:  I wonder if these zone-only teams have an advantage in fewer injuries over the course of a season, since man-only teams work hard on every defensive stand?  

52 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Speaking of Andrew White, I've watched a few of his games.  Here are some observations and a question.

2.  Yet, he rarely exerts much energy--rarely breaks a sweat.  Here's why: (I) on defense, he guards a small area to the right of the lane and moves very little on any defensive possession; and (Ii) on offense, he hangs around the wings behind the three point line and occasionally drives to the rim.

Question:  I wonder if these zone-only teams have an advantage in fewer injuries over the course of a season, since man-only teams work hard on every defensive stand?  

It might, but they've had some injuries too.

it does allow them to not go very deep on their bench, they normally have four or five guys averaging 30 minutes.  It also allows them to play bigger guys at PG/SG/SF than otherwise, since they don't have to worry bout match ups, and to play more offensive minded guys. It also helps their shooting percentage on offense since they don't use as much energy on defense.

47 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

That mentality would not have fit well on this team.  We are a bunch of go getters.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

If he really wanted to go to a team to get better....I think playing in the matchup zone was a terrible decision....that is not played at the next level....

26 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

That mentality would not have fit well on this team.  We are a bunch of go getters.

Probably why the traitor left. I looked at his stats the other day. PPG are up, but overall his stats are down from his Jr. year at Nebraska. Made me smile...and laugh.

13 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Not necessarily apples to apples but I look at the first year of the football and WBB hires and then look at us our most complete roster yet and thinking: why risk blowing it up?

i was going to post this same thing yesterday. Eichorst really has to think twice about firing another coach after seeing what happened to football/womensbball in year 1.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

the sad part is syracuse has to beat duke or louisville this week just to get back on the bubble.