Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

Updated:

Win  vs Sacramento State, 83-61 (+22pts)
Win  vs University of Mary, 70-38 (+32pts)
Win  vs Louisiana Tech, 65-54 (+11pts)
Win  ne Dayton, 80-78 (+2pts)
Loss ne UCLA, 71-82 (-11pts)
Loss ne Virginia Tech, 53-66 (-13pts)
Loss at Clemson, 58-60 (-2pts)
Win  vs South Dakota, 73-61 (+12pts)
Loss vs Creighton, 62-77 (-15pts)
Loss vs Kansas, 72-89 (-17pts)
Loss vs Gardner-Webb, 62-70 (-8pts)
Win  vs Southern, 81-76 (+5pts)
Win  at Indiana, 87-83 (+4pts)
Win  at Maryland, 67-65 (+2pts)
Win  vs Iowa, 93-90 2OT (+3pts)
Loss vs Northwestern, 66-74 (-8pts)
Loss at Michigan, 85-91 (-6pts)
Loss vs Ohio State, 66-67 (-1pts)
Loss at Rutgers, 64-65 (-1pts)
Loss at Northwestern, 61-73 (-12pts)
Win  vs Purdue 83-80, (+3pts)
Loss vs Michigan State, 61-72 (-11pts)
Loss at Iowa, 70-81 (-11pts)

Loss vs Wisconsin, 69-70 OT (-1pts)

Win  vs Penn State, 82-66 (+16pts)

Records:
Games between 0-4 points: 5-4 (4-3)
Games between 5-9 points: 1-3 (0-2)

Double-digit games: 5-7 (1-3)

Top 5 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 16 (Penn State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech)

Top 5 largest defeats: 17 (Kansas), 15 (Creighton), 13 (Virginia Tech), 12 (Northwestern), 11 (UCLA/Michigan State/Iowa)

Finally knocked off Southern as a Top 5 largest margin of victory! First double-digit victory in conference play.

Updated:

Win vs Penn State, 82-66 (+16pts)

Win at Ohio State, 58-57 (+1pts)

Records:
Games between 0-4 points: 6-4 (5-3)

Top 5 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 16 (Penn State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech)

Top 5 largest defeats: 17 (Kansas), 15 (Creighton), 13 (Virginia Tech), 12 (Northwestern), 11 (UCLA/Michigan State/Iowa)

Still on the positive side of 0-4 point games.

Updated:

Win vs Penn State, 82-66 (+16pts)

Win at Ohio State, 58-57 (+1pts)

Records:
Games between 0-4 points: 6-4 (5-3)

Still on the positive side of 0-4 point games.

I don't think margin of victory is a meaningful stat. We have had plenty of games where we were tied with less then 6 minutes and still lost by more than 4.

People always use to say "bo pelini wins close games.". But the was because when he lost he lost big.

I was slightly curious about something and figured at least one other person would find this interesting:

Under Coach Miles, here are the number of win/loss streaks we have had:

W1 19   L1 21
W2 9   L2 8
W3 5   L3 5
W4 4      
W5 1   L5 4  

L9 1

What are you gleaming from that?

12 hours ago, PimpMario said:

I don't think margin of victory is a meaningful stat. We have had plenty of games where we were tied with less then 6 minutes and still lost by more than 4.

People always use to say "bo pelini wins close games.". But the was because when he lost he lost big.

Agreed. But some stats don't have to be meaningful to be interesting. I think it's interesting that we've only played in three conference games where we lost by double digits, or that Southern is our 6th largest margin of victory, or that we were hanging close to at least 2 of our top 5 largest defeats, or that whenever we've gone to overtime we've kept the game pretty close either way, or that nearly 40% of our games have been decided by one possession. Or at least I find those things interesting.

21 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

I havent read the board in awhile, Am i missing something here?  Is there ACTUAL talk of Eichorst canning Miles....?  I really hope not.

Yes, and not just by message board posters and talk show callers.  Shatel did an entire column on it , which he doesn't do if there aren't some legs to the story.  People close to the program report that the coaches feel they really are coaching for their jobs right now.  So yeah, justified or not, there had been actual talk of SE making a move.  

10 minutes ago, HB said:

Yes, and not just by message board posters and talk show callers.  Shatel did an entire column on it , which he doesn't do if there aren't some legs to the story.  People close to the program report that the coaches feel they really are coaching for their jobs right now.  So yeah, justified or not, there had been actual talk of SE making a move.  

And I continue to be baffled by such crazy talk.

1 minute ago, jimmykc said:

ConkTrifecta or Blackshirt should start a new thread on why it would be asinine to fire Miles this year. I am somewhat embarrassed to think that this particular thread may become the longest one in the history of HHC!

Hopefully it will go the way of the the longest one, the recruit who signed with Auburn and whose name escapes me.    Certainly turned out to be much ado about nothing!  

43 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

And I continue to be baffled by such crazy talk.

Not crazy at all.  At least not in the sense that it could happen - although I agree it would be a crazily stupid decision.   Yesterday goes the other way at the end and we falter down the stretch and no question Miles would be gone.  SE wants that to happen - just needs to be able to justify it.

Edited by HuskerBB

It's hard for me to even wrap my brain around the possibility of this happening. I don't know, maybe I'm just too simpleminded!  Hypothetically, if it were to happen (and it shouldn't) where do you think it would rank in the list of boneheaded moves by and A.D. at Nebraska?  IMO, it's right there at the top!

5 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I have always believed that to get Nebraska to the level where I think they could Maintain (think Wisconsin, i think nebraska could have the success of Wisconsin):

When you hire the Coach in a situation like Nebraska basketball or Kansas Football, you need to close your eyes for about ten years...it will be a roller coaster ride and that is why you have to close your eyes and only slightly pay attention to the wins and losses..Celebrate any successes, but don't get too hung up with the failures.

I am not saying you would never fire a coach after 5 years, 6 or 7...but I think you have to have a real long leash....I think you have to let a coach swing and miss a couple of times at a place like Nebraska...because this place is not an easy place to win and if each coach knows they are only going to get to really have one recruiting cycle before they are judged...how is Nebraska ever going to get to that next level?  In Basketball, it is really easy to miss on recruits...Players look great, get to campus and can't play...

They really have to know exactly what kind of players they need...before they ever play a BIg ten game...and at a place like Nebraska, you don't get to choose the puzzle pieces you want...you have to really search for the right piece and convince them to come to a place that is not a basketball school.

I think the same thing about Kansas Football...if Kansas believes that their current coach is capable of success...the AD should just close his eyes to the Win loss record to about year 7 or 8 before that becomes the measuring stick....now if a coach has other failings, such as moral character or violates university policies that is another kettle of fish.

All the upvotes for this.

This isn't the football program where by year 5 you should be contending for conference titles.

Considering where we started from and who we are as a program 5 years was the minimum amount of time for this to get really good and that was if everything went almost perfectly. Which for many reasons it has not. Some controllable, some not.

Even with the ups and downs this team finally LOOKS like  a solid Big Ten team and PLAYS like a solid Big Ten team capable of winning even on nights when a key guy or two aren't having a great game.

This team has not just talent but young talent that never quits trying hard. Plus virtually every player is improving and/or evolving their game and role as the year goes on. With what appears to be more on the bench and as recruits on the way for next year.

Not to mention they all seem like good kids as well.

No clue what else you ask for in year 5 at Nebraska from a basketball coach trying to build a Big Ten program.

Edited by Blackshirt83