Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

27 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Assuming the roster stays intact (watson and morrow stay).  I think the expectation would be .500 or better in  conference.  The non con appears to be tough again so 16 to 19 wins.

OK, and what if the roster doesn't stay intact?  What if coaching change results in the usual transfers or recruits deciding they want out of their LOI like happened with the women's team last year?  Let's say we lose Jordy, Glynn and Ed, and that Nana requests release from his LOI.  Then, does your expectation of the new coach go down?

Edited by Norm Peterson

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, and what if the roster doesn't stay intact?  What if coaching change results in the usual transfers or recruits deciding they want out of their LOI like happened with the women's team last year?  Let's say we lose Jordy, Glynn and Ed, and that Nana requests release from his LOI.  Then, does your expectation of the new coach go down?

Expectations would go down. I don't think 4 guys who would be projected in top 7 of rotation would transfer and have to sit out a year.

10 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That is my # 1 reason for keeping Miles.  I think he has shown players improve under him, and he has recruited really well.  I don't really want to go through more rebuilding process.  The problem is do we have a slam dunk coach who is coming here and can guarantee NCAA tourney teams?  I think we have to go to a mid major coach and cross our fingers hoping it will finally work out.  If that's the case, just stick with Miles, and see if the sophomore class lives up to it's billing.

33 minutes ago, colhusker said:

(i.e., how many kids go elsewhere since Miles is gone (part of the reason for the dumpster fire with the women's team this year), what tempo does he want to play, will Cip change the price of a beer at Conlee's if Miles is released).

I'm too tired to change prices,,,,

However, we do have a Standhardinger to go special.  You get a 6 pack of Heineken and a gas card at the farmers coop for 2 gallons of gas for $15.00.  Only valid on sub-zero nights and you need a game and parks park permit to qualify.

9 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Expectations would go down. I don't think 4 guys who would be projected in top 7 of rotation would transfer and have to sit out a year.

Same would be the case for Miles first season, for example, when, at times, he only had 5 guys on the roster he trusted to play and he didn't sub for an entire second half.  You'd agree with me that we couldn't have expected a 20 win season in Miles' first year with the program.  There are times, in other words, where you cannot just look at the win-loss record to judge the coach. 

And we've already agreed that the absence of an important player has to reduce expectations.  So, for example, losing Andrew White for the season to transfer and losing Ed Morrow for 7 games due to foot injuries is going to have an affect on our win-loss record, right?  So, I think we're in agreement on this part.

Next question:  How many years would you give the new coach to produce an NCAA tourney appearance (or even win)?

You indicated in your response above that you don't think 4 of the top 7 guys are likely to transfer and that might be true.  Perhaps none of them transfer.  Say, for example, Eichorst promotes Michael Lewis as interim.  He's young, he's energetic.  Most important, he's familiar with the team and they with him.  So, let's say no one transfers.  How many years do you give him?

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Same would be the case for Miles first season, for example, when, at times, he only had 5 guys on the roster he trusted to play and he didn't sub for an entire second half.  You'd agree with me that we couldn't have expected a 20 win season in Miles' first year with the program.  There are times, in other words, where you cannot just look at the win-loss record to judge the coach. 

And we've already agreed that the absence of an important player has to reduce expectations.  So, for example, losing Andrew White for the season to transfer and losing Ed Morrow for 7 games due to foot injuries is going to have an affect on our win-loss record, right?  So, I think we're in agreement on this part.

Next question:  How many years would you give the new coach to produce an NCAA tourney appearance (or even win)?

You indicated in your response above that you don't think 4 of the top 7 guys are likely to transfer and that might be true.  Perhaps none of them transfer.  Say, for example, Eichorst promotes Michael Lewis as interim.  He's young, he's energetic.  Most important, he's familiar with the team and they with him.  So, let's say no one transfers.  How many years do you give him?

Within the first 2 years with the same roster.   After 4 or 5 years i think you know about wht you have.  I think in basketball it's easier to win right away because of only playing 5 guys at a time  ( look at year 2).  I just don't think we capitalized on that as much as we could have.  We probably win more games if Morrow doesn't get hurt, but even without him we should have beat OSU and Rutgers,

While everyone is contemplating the question of how many years you'd give the next coach, let me ask a semi-off-topic question:  How many years do you think it will be before the Nebraska women see an NCAA Sweet 16 again?

At the rate it is going, 10 plus years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

But you and I don't know that, and it could happen.

Morrow's foot may still bother him, Copeland may not be the same after back surgery,  Nana may take a year to get acclimated to college basketball, somebody could transfer.   Nobody knows what could happen if Miles stays.

14 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Within the first 2 years with the same roster.   After 4 or 5 years i think you know about wht you have.  I think in basketball it's easier to win right away because of only playing 5 guys at a time  ( look at year 2).  I just don't think we capitalized on that as much as we could have.  We probably win more games if Morrow doesn't get hurt, but even without him we should have beat OSU and Rutgers,

OK, so if no one transfers, you'd agree that this hypothetical new coach next year would be inheriting a program in SUBSTANTIALLY better shape than the one Miles inherited?  Do you agree with that?

And, therefore, the expectations for the new coach should be a lot higher than what we had for Miles' first season, agreed?

Edited by Norm Peterson

5 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

At the rate it is going, 10 plus years.

Could be 50 years.  Or never.  Blowing up a strong program with a proven coach and starting over from the cellar is an unbelievably risky play.   And if it doesn't work us fans for life are stuck with it, and the instigators are long gone with golden parachutes.   See Pedersen, Steve, and Perlman, Harvey. 

Morrow's foot may still bother him, Copeland may not be the same after back surgery,  Nana may take a year to get acclimated to college basketball, somebody could transfer.   Nobody knows what could happen if Miles stays.

I think Morrow's foot will end up costing him his carer. I hope it don't, but my gut says it will.

I'll tell you this much:  If we do have a new coach next year and if there's none to minimal roster disruption, I'm going to expect the same NCAA tourney appearance next year from the new guy that I would have expected from Miles.

I'll just put that out there.  New guy has no excuses if the roster stays put.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'll tell you this much:  If we do have a new coach next year and if there's none to minimal roster disruption, I'm going to expect the same NCAA tourney appearance next year from the new guy that I would have expected from Miles.

I'll just put that out there.  New guy has no excuses if the roster stays put.

I agree.  The last time we thought we had a sure fire tourney team we imploded though and that's probably one of my biggest concerns.

1 minute ago, bigred4 said:

I agree.  The last time we thought we had a sure fire tourney team we imploded though and that's probably one of my biggest concerns.

I think that's what a lot of people think about.  We danced in year 2 and we brought back the bulk of the players who got us to the dance, so, theoretically, year 3 should have been gangbusters.  But you can't coach Walter Pitchford to make 3 pointers.  You can coach him on when to shoot them and from where.  But you have to be able to trust your talent to execute their skills.  And Walter's shooting percentage went into the toilet after his sophomore year.  The thing that opened driving lanes for Petteway and Shields in year 2 vanished in year 3 of Tim Miles.  I don't think that's on Miles.  The coaches have little to no control over a player's attitude and emotions.  And Petteway and Pitchford were like oil and water from what I hear.  Did NOT get along.  And that had an affect on the team.  Locker room stuff we didn't see, but it was there, nonetheless.

In any event, I was among those thinking we should come back in year 3 and just tear it up, and I was one who was really disappointed about the outcome of that season.  But I don't know that you can necessarily blame Miles for that disappointing follow up to what had been an unexpectedly good run the year before.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

By the way, these questions I have are open to anyone to answer who thinks Miles either should be fired at the end of this season or would be OK with it if he is fired.  I would like to explore this notion a little bit and I have some questions for anyone who'd like to see Miles fired who's willing to try to answer them.

So my fear is that Shawn will run Miles off thinking that we have a loaded roster coming backand that he will look like a genius if they make the tournament.  I think this had something to do with the timing of Bo's firing as well.  We should've been a 9 or more win team in 2015 and I think he knew that. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned, we shit the bed numerous times, and then Shawn had to break is "rule" of speaking about coaches during the season. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

While everyone is contemplating the question of how many years you'd give the next coach, let me ask a semi-off-topic question:  How many years do you think it will be before the Nebraska women see an NCAA Sweet 16 again?

3 years after we get another new coach

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

I'm too tired to change prices,,,,

However, we do have a Standhardinger to go special.  You get a 6 pack of Heineken and a gas card at the farmers coop for 2 gallons of gas for $15.00.  Only valid on sub-zero nights and you need a game and parks park permit to qualify.

If it comes with a Lincoln Park CD I might be interested.

Was in the car quite a bit today, listening to a bunch of local sports talk radio, and this debate was on nearly every show today. None of the hosts that I heard thought he was in danger of being fired this year, but they sure spent a lot of time on something they don't think is happening. <_< Then again, that's kind of the point of talk radio a lot of the time.