Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

Just now, HB said:

If past history shows anything, SE doesn't have a hire lined up which would justify blowing things up.  He was brought in to fire Bo, had plenty of time to have someone lined up, and he hires an old guy about to get fired, who has  an inadequate staff with no experience in the league and recruiting radius, and a system which didn't exactly fit our existing talent or the league.   In women's basketball, he was conducting his witch hunt on Yori for months, and despite having time to search for an impact hire, and a much more successful program to hire to, goes for a low D 1 coach who brings her entire staff here, despite not having a coach on it who had ever coached one game for a power conference team, or recruited to a level above South Dakota.  

No, I wouldn't exactly count on our current AD being able to find an upgrade to what we have.  

I would really keep the above in mind if you're on the fence about Miles.

1 hour ago, HB said:

If past history shows anything, SE doesn't have a hire lined up which would justify blowing things up.  He was brought in to fire Bo, had plenty of time to have someone lined up, and he hires an old guy about to get fired, who has  an inadequate staff with no experience in the league and recruiting radius, and a system which didn't exactly fit our existing talent or the league.   In women's basketball, he was conducting his witch hunt on Yori for months, and despite having time to search for an impact hire, and a much more successful program to hire to, goes for a low D 1 coach who brings her entire staff here, despite not having a coach on it who had ever coached one game for a power conference team, or recruited to a level above South Dakota.  

No, I wouldn't exactly count on our current AD being able to find an upgrade to what we have.  

This, This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This, and

THIS

1 hour ago, HB said:

...this is what makes me so uneasy about all of this. Though I'm on board with what Riley is doing, if a move is made, I don't expect to be thrilled with whoever they hire...

Edited by uneblinstu

15 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

This, This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This,This, and

THIS

tumblr_mi1mc5jkQd1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

2 hours ago, HB said:

What scares me is I'm sure he believes he can. 

14 hours ago, cipsucks said:

All I know is I'm really tired. Maybe it's the cares of life that's doing it.  Maybe Northwestern winning in Madison today sets me off.  But I'm tired.

I'm tired of the wait til next year argument.  I'm in a Kemper Arena restroom after Nebraska loses a semi-final game to Kansas State in the Big 8 Tourney, and two Wildcat fans say "Damn, can you imagine how good Nebraska will be next year when Hoppen gets there."   I'm still imagining...

I'm tired of it wasn't for ....   If it wasn't for Tony Farmer being ineligible, if it wasn't for Jose Ramos being Jose Ramos, if it wasn't for Mikki Moore not redshirting, if it wasn't for Barry Collier, (okay, the Collier hire was idiocy in its finest form), but back to this year.... if it wasn't for AW and the injuries.....

I'm tired of losing to Gardner Webb and Incarnate Word.   That crap is unacceptable.  

I'm just tired of all of this.  As I've said before, I hope Miles is our coach next year.  If he's not, that's fine, too.  I want Nebraska Basketball to be successful in my lifetime.

I'm just really really tired....

No, I'm really, really, really tired......

37 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

I'd be happy if he hired South Dakota's men's coach.  He also hired a pretty successful men's basketball coach at Miami.  I think if Eichorst wants 'his' guy then Miles may be in trouble.

Are you making the point that you'd be OK with Eichorst firing Miles after this season?

And, second question, are you further saying you'd be happy if Eichorst fires Miles after this season and replaces him with Miles' former assistant?

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

A hire like the women's program would be an unmitigated disaster. 

Eichorst freightens me. What he could do is either ruin the momentum of the program (yes there's momentum even if it doesn't feel like it) and roll the dice with with another high risk rebuild delaying any success for several years or he could stick with what we have. My vote doesn't count but I vote to stay the course with the coach who has proven he can get the type of player we need to be successful to nebraska.  Now that coach just needs to prove he can take that talent, develop it, and put wins in the win column once that talent matures. That's yet to be seen so I see no point in moving on. I'll still argue that this is Miles' second build at Nebraska. The first, he pieced together some transfers with the leftovers and made the NCAA tournament. Once that team disintegrated he recruited the large class that are the sophomores of today.  The previous 2 coaches couldn't recruit the caliber of player we needed to Nebraska. Miles has. There's no reason to not wait and see the fruits of that labor just to roll the dice on someone else.

30 minutes ago, 49r said:

...wrong South Dakota school to look for a coach to hire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my bad, it appears that Scott Nagy moved on to Wright State this year.  Seems like a bit of a lateral move...

Anyway, if I was going to hire a low major guy from South Dakota, it'd be Nagy way before Smith.

I just don't get how Nebraska isn't a team that isn't consistently in the NCAA tourney with the fan support and facilities we have for basketball. When watching games on tv it is fascinating to me how many schools can barely fill up half of their arenas for games but the vault is near capacity every game. If schools like Iowa State and K State are always making the NCAA tourney or at least always on the bubble of making it, then so should Nebraska. Schools like that have no advantage whatsoever in terms of recruiting bases, facilities, etc...

Anyways, in relation to the main topic of this thread...yes, I believe Miles deserves another year based on what he is building/recruiting. We have the pieces in place to make the tourney next year, and based on my rambling at the start of my post, I think we should be in the running for the tourney year in year out afterwards. 

48 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Are you making the point that you'd be OK with Eichorst firing Miles after this season?

And, second question, are you further saying you'd be happy if Eichorst fires Miles after this season and replaces him with Miles' former assistant?

I would be ok with Miles being fired assuming we continue to lose.  I would be ok with Miles keeping his job and lean towards that.  I think the team coming back would be NCAA or bust, but to me there are other concerns (3 point defense, losing to inferior teams, losing a lot at home the last 3 years, relying on one guy to create offense-TP,Shavon,Tai).

If he did fire Miles, I do not think Craig Smith will be a candidate, but I think it is just a matter of time before he is at a power 5 school at some point as a head coach.

Miles has 4 assistants who are now D1 head coaches and are either 1st or 2nd in their conference.  Makes you wonder how much losing guys like that has affected Miles.

1 minute ago, bigred4 said:

I would be ok with Miles being fired assuming we continue to lose.  I would be ok with Miles keeping his job and lean towards that.  I think the team coming back would be NCAA or bust, but to me there are other concerns (3 point defense, losing to inferior teams, losing a lot at home the last 3 years, relying on one guy to create offense-TP,Shavon,Tai).

If he did fire Miles, I do not think Craig Smith will be a candidate, but I think it is just a matter of time before he is at a power 5 school at some point as a head coach.

Miles has 4 assistants who are now D1 head coaches and are either 1st or 2nd in their conference.  Makes you wonder how much losing guys like that has affected Miles.

I have more questions.  Are you wiling to continue to converse with me about this topic?

10 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I have more questions.  Are you wiling to continue to converse with me about this topic?

I'll try.  One other point I wanted to make.  I think the number 1 reason people think Miles should be back is the players he has recruited.  On paper this is the most talented team since late 90s and I'd agree, but with the new facility's, Miles had an advantage over Collier and Doc and that should be taken into account because we heard for how long how bad we needed a practice facility for recruiting.

Ok, @bigred4, you've said you'd be OK if he was let go.  I've seen others who are practically demanding it (that Miles be let go).  If he does come back, you're saying NCAA tourney or bust.  That might be fair, I don't know.  But, let's assume he's let go:

Is there a win/loss threshold you'd set for his replacement in year one?

Edited by Norm Peterson

By the way, these questions I have are open to anyone to answer who thinks Miles either should be fired at the end of this season or would be OK with it if he is fired.  I would like to explore this notion a little bit and I have some questions for anyone who'd like to see Miles fired who's willing to try to answer them.

Edited by Norm Peterson

16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ok, @bigred4, you've said you'd be OK if he was let go.  I've seen others who are practically demanding it (that Miles be let go).  If he does come back, you're saying NCAA tourney or bust.  That might be fair, I don't know.  But, let's assume he's let go:

Assuming the roster stays intact (watson and morrow stay).  I think the expectation would be .500 or better in  conference.  The non con appears to be tough again so 16 to 19 wins.

22 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not of the notion Miles should be fired myself.  However I will say IF we don't dance next year his seat needs to be getting warm.

That said, not sure one can say what a win/loss threshold should be.  To many variables (i.e., how many kids go elsewhere since Miles is gone (part of the reason for the dumpster fire with the women's team this year), what tempo does he want to play, will Cip change the price of a beer at Conlee's if Miles is released).