Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

1 minute ago, 49r said:

@nustudent you wouldn't be surprised if 2 guys left without a coaching change, right?  I mean, it's fairly likely that's how many guys we'll lose this year.  Why wouldn't it be likely that a couple more would decide to transfer out with a change?  These are for the most part Rivals 150 guys, so they'd be pretty highly sought after players at the P5 level, and a fair number of them came to NU because of Mo or Kenya, and for those guys alone.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that we're going to just get a new guy in and everything will be the same.  And, no, the Doc to Miles transition was not the same...those guys weren't going to be able to transfer to other D1 programs (except for probably Shavon and Benny) let alone other P5 teams.  It's not even really like the Barry to Doc transition really, but still Doc had to completely re-recruit the whole team, and only just barely got Maric to come back.

To be clear, I'm not advocating one way or another, but to think you can just replace the coaching staff and not skip a beat is, well, delusional.

Wouldn't be shocked if 1-2 left.   I'd be shocked if 4-5 left though.  You'll have Palmer, Gill, Copeland, Taylor as upper class guys who have already transferred once.  I don't see them wanting to sit out a year, unless they've graduated.   Watson, Jacobson and Morrow as also upper class guys...but again...do they want to sit out.  Between Jacobson being from Iowa and Morrow's ties here...don't see them leaving.   Some of the younger guys...Horne, Roby, Jordy....all sophomores....but again do they want to leave to sit out a year.   I would think that most of them would recognize that the core group of guys have the potential to be pretty solid next year.   I'd also venture to say a lot of it will be based more on who we hire than who we fired.   Using the Hoiberg example....I have trouble seeing a lot of guys depart unless he tells them to depart.

That's the optimistic way to look at it, sure.  But probably not realistic.  Those guys don't care as much about "the potential to do something special for Nebraska" as they are about playing for coaches they like and trust and hopefully advancing their careers to the next level.

Now, a hire like Hoiberg just might convince those guys to stay on board, but in all honesty a guy like that is a pipe dream for us.  We'll be looking at a guy who is going to want to come in and "change the culture" right away and that doesn't sit well with guys that came here because of what the culture is now.

We're talking the mid-major kind of guy who had a good year and is looking to cash in on that success.  Results here may vary, and generally do.  I'm thinking a "Frank Haith making one more run at a P5 job" kind of hire is what we'd be looking at.

I'd be willing to roll with Miles for one more year in that scenario.

kldm: I was not implying that a new coach couldn't be successful with Miles' present roster or that the players would not try just as hard for a different coach. What seems likely to me is that a new system and different coaches from the ones who recruit the players who sign expecting to play under the those coaches would make it less likely that the same number of games would be won the first year of the new regime. My post , simply stated, was that it would be less likely a bubble team like NU would be invited to the NCAA tourney and win a game there. But you have a right to say you don't think that will happen with Miles anyway and I understand that position.

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

That's the optimistic way to look at it, sure.  But probably not realistic.  Those guys don't care as much about "the potential to do something special for Nebraska" as they are about playing for coaches they like and trust and hopefully advancing their careers to the next level.

Now, a hire like Hoiberg just might convince those guys to stay on board, but in all honesty a guy like that is a pipe dream for us.  We'll be looking at a guy who is going to want to come in and "change the culture" right away and that doesn't sit well with guys that came here because of what the culture is now.

We're talking the mid-major kind of guy who had a good year and is looking to cash in on that success.  Results here may vary, and generally do.  I'm thinking a "Frank Haith making one more run at a P5 job" kind of hire is what we'd be looking at.

I'd be willing to roll with Miles for one more year in that scenario.

I think its very realistic.   And I don't think the something special for Nebraska part carries near as much weight as not having to sit out a year.  Especially if they like everything else about Nebraska.   4-5 is a lot.   Because some of those guys are going to see opportunities when the first guy or two leaves.   And while I certainly wouldn't bet on Hoiberg, because that scenario just seems too good to be true for Nebraska basketball, I certainly don't think it is out of the question considering his ties here.

Edited by nustudent

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think its very realistic.   And I don't think the something special for Nebraska part carries near as much weight as not having to sit out a year.  Especially if they like everything else about Nebraska.   4-5 is a lot.   Because some of those guys are going to see opportunities when the first guy or two leaves.

We've got 3 guys currently on our roster (and a 4th who didn't mind transferring in, then out again) who didn't see sitting out a year as a big deal.  Believe me, you are more emotionally invested in #Nebrasketball than they are.  You're projecting a bit.

As much as we'd like all our guys to be Dave Hoppen or Bruce Chubick who are playing for "dear ol' Nebraska U" first and foremost, for the majority of kids, it's just another place with a fancy practice facility and a chance to play on TV every night.  They can get that just about anywhere at the P5 level.

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

We've got 3 guys currently on our roster (and a 4th who didn't mind transferring in, then out again) who didn't see sitting out a year as a big deal.  Believe me, you are more emotionally invested in #Nebrasketball than they are.  You're projecting a bit.

As much as we'd like all our guys to be Dave Hoppen or Bruce Chubick who are playing for "dear ol' Nebraska U" first and foremost, for the majority of kids, it's just another place with a fancy practice facility and a chance to play on TV every night.  They can get that just about anywhere at the P5 level.

And what was the reason for some of those guys transferring?   Playing time.   Transferring out to sit a year when you are a major contributor isn't all that common.  That's my point...sitting a year isn't attractive.   Some players will do it if it leads to a better chance at success...but I don't see guys  playing 20 minutes per game as freshmen as being in a big hurry to sit out a year.    Especially when that figure is likely to go up after the first guy or two leaves.

Don't get me wrong...some guys will certainly go.   I just don't see a mass departure...especially if we do the hiring right

Edited by nustudent

Updated:

Win  vs Sacramento State, 83-61 (+22pts)
Win  vs University of Mary, 70-38 (+32pts)
Win  vs Louisiana Tech, 65-54 (+11pts)
Win  ne Dayton, 80-78 (+2pts)
Loss ne UCLA, 71-82 (-11pts)
Loss ne Virginia Tech, 53-66 (-13pts)
Loss at Clemson, 58-60 (-2pts)
Win  vs South Dakota, 73-61 (+12pts)
Loss vs Creighton, 62-77 (-15pts)
Loss vs Kansas, 72-89 (-17pts)
Loss vs Gardner-Webb, 62-70 (-8pts)
Win  vs Southern, 81-76 (+5pts)
Win  at Indiana, 87-83 (+4pts)
Win  at Maryland, 67-65 (+2pts)
Win  vs Iowa, 93-90 2OT (+3pts)
Loss vs Northwestern, 66-74 (-8pts)
Loss at Michigan, 85-91 (-6pts)
Loss vs Ohio State, 66-67 (-1pts)
Loss at Rutgers, 64-65 (-1pts)
Loss at Northwestern, 61-73 (-12pts)
Win  vs Purdue 83-80, (+3pts)
Loss vs Michigan State, 61-72 (-11pts)
Loss at Iowa, 70-81 (-11pts)

Loss vs Wisconsin, 69-70 OT (-1pts)

Records:
Games between 0-4 points: 5-4 (4-3)
Games between 5-9 points: 1-3 (0-2)

Double-digit games: 4-7 (0-3)

Top 5 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech), 5 (Southern)

Top 5 largest defeats: 17 (Kansas), 15 (Creighton), 13 (Virginia Tech), 12 (Northwestern), 11 (UCLA/Michigan State/Iowa)

The largest conference victory is 4 points (Indiana) and the largest conference defeat is 12 points (Northwestern). There's not much wiggle room for the team this year.

Echos what most of us on here are saying...

Basically, if we are going to get the same thing (Mid-Major coach who will have his work cut out for him), why ruin this opportunity for Miles?

My thought:  We have done the same thing now for our past 4 coaches (per the article).  One of them (Nee) did a little bit here.  The other two struggled mightily.  Miles has done better than the last two.  The grass is not always greener on the other side.  You are blind if you say that you cannot see progress from these guys.  Miles has played the mid-major game better than each of the last two coaches.  I personally would let that give him more time.. especially if we are going to go the same road with the next hire.

Unless we can go out and get a Archie Miller, or poach and convince a guy like Jamie Dixon (give him the boat load of money and a change of scenery speech) , I'd rather stick with Miles, over rinse and repeat mid major coach.

Pro coaches coming to the college always makes me nervous, but a splash could be a up coming assistant like Jarron Collins, it's risky but it would be splashy , or a guy like Chris Finch whose with the nuggets right now, even thought we'd need a massive dose of outside shooting to run his system. 

Long story short, I like Miles and what he represents and I feel like the program is going somewhere, something I haven't been able to say in short time I've been on this earth 

Edited by bobcat402

1 hour ago, bobcat402 said:

Unless we can go out and get a Archie Miller, or poach and convince a guy like Jamie Dixon (give him the boat load of money and a change of scenery speech) , I'd rather stick with Miles, over rinse and repeat mid major coach.

Pro coaches coming to the college always makes me nervous, but a splash could be a up coming assistant like Jarron Collins, it's risky but it would be splashy , or a guy like Chris Finch whose with the nuggets right now, even thought we'd need a massive dose of outside shooting to run his system. 

Long story short, I like Miles and what he represents and I feel like the program is going somewhere, something I haven't been able to say in short time I've been on this earth 

Jamie Dixon took the TCU job last year (alma mater), safe to say he wouldn't be in the mix. 

24 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

Wow, I completely forgot about that...so yea...but the rest of my post good stuff 

I think he is a great coach, he already has TCU on the brink of the bubble after going 2-16 in conference last year. I agree with your previous post, if we are looking for a coach after next year, someone resembling Dixon's situation would be the route we need to take.

Miles needs to be here next season.  Nothing is ever going to be easy in basketball at NU but we might break through by closing out the close games.  Also, I would hope for a less challenging non conference schedule to build some confidence.  (Just don't put Gardner-Webb or Incarnate Word on the schedule!)

All I know is I'm really tired. Maybe it's the cares of life that's doing it.  Maybe Northwestern winning in Madison today sets me off.  But I'm tired.

I'm tired of the wait til next year argument.  I'm in a Kemper Arena restroom after Nebraska loses a semi-final game to Kansas State in the Big 8 Tourney, and two Wildcat fans say "Damn, can you imagine how good Nebraska will be next year when Hoppen gets there."   I'm still imagining...

I'm tired of it wasn't for ....   If it wasn't for Tony Farmer being ineligible, if it wasn't for Jose Ramos being Jose Ramos, if it wasn't for Mikki Moore not redshirting, if it wasn't for Barry Collier, (okay, the Collier hire was idiocy in its finest form), but back to this year.... if it wasn't for AW and the injuries.....

I'm tired of losing to Gardner Webb and Incarnate Word.   That crap is unacceptable.  

I'm just tired of all of this.  As I've said before, I hope Miles is our coach next year.  If he's not, that's fine, too.  I want Nebraska Basketball to be successful in my lifetime.

I'm just really really tired....

No, I'm really, really, really tired......

19 hours ago, bobcat402 said:

That's sort of the sticking point, right?  If SE has a specific guy lined up and the only time to get him is this season, I could see it.  If he has a list like every guy on this forum....why would you blow this thing up when Miles has finally put together a full roster? Here's the thing about "The List"....it's gonna be there after every season.