Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

18 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I am not buying Miles on the hot seat with the Athletic Director.  Eichorst had highly positive things to say, publicly, about the state of the basketball program, and his confidence in that program, right before the Indiana win--which is a departure from normal behavior.  I don't see anything that would have changed his assessment between then and now.

I would be curious to hear your take as to why Eichorst decided not to extend Miles contract in the offseason then?  As I've said previously, I think there would be a lot less speculation had that not occurred.

Pre-season contract extension issues are old news by now and are given much too importance in the chatter class.  Those issues reflect a performance-based evaluation that incorporates such disappointments as, (i) the departure of Petteway, (ii) the disappointment of Pitchford, (ii) a couple years of underperformance by teams dominated by upperclassmen, (iv) the departure of Andrew White, and (v) a no post-season play decision last season.  The no-extension under such circumstances is a reasonable and measured approach by an Athletic Director responsible for managing and maximizing effort and results from a staff.

Since then:

--The freshmen recruits are showing that Miles's recruiting decisions are well-made

--The Lewis hire (and the termination of his predecessor) are proving to be stellar decisions

--Coach Hunter is continuing to recruit at a high level

--The Andrew White defection is in the past

--Team chemistry is good

--The decision to pursue Nana Akenten for this year's class is proving to be well-made

--The Isaac Copeland commitment is a recruiting coup

--The team is, generally, performing well this season and is hanging together, despite a tough schedule, a youthful team, and crucial injuries

--Bad luck on injuries is, usually, not a coaching fault

--Crowds at the Vault remain strong and enthusiastic and supportive 

--Students show up at the games in full force and give strong support

--Recruiting interest remains strong from high quality players

--Etc.

What all the foregoing shows is that Tim Miles and Co. are performing well--and have addressed concerns of the past.

And the Athletic Director is now going out of his way to give public support to the current staff and program.

23 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Pre-season contract extension issues are old news by now and are given much too importance in the chatter class.  Those issues reflect a performance-based evaluation that incorporates such disappointments as, (i) the departure of Petteway, (ii) the disappointment of Pitchford, (ii) a couple years of underperformance by teams dominated by upperclassmen, (iv) the departure of Andrew White, and (v) a no post-season play decision last season.  The no-extension under such circumstances is a reasonable and measured approach by an Athletic Director responsible for managing and maximizing effort and results from a staff.

Since then:

--The freshmen recruits are showing that Miles's recruiting decisions are well-made

--The Lewis hire (and the termination of his predecessor) are proving to be stellar decisions

--Team chemistry is good

--The decision to pursue Nana Akenten for this year's class is proving to be well-made

--The team is, generally, performing well this season and is hanging together, despite a tough schedule, a youthful team, and crucial injuries

--Etc.

What all the foregoing shows is that Tim Miles and Co. are performing well--and have addressed concerns of the past.

And the Athletic Director is now going out of his way to give public support to the current staff and program.

Not going to disagree with the above, what you say may be true in that off the court progressions may be enough for Eichorst at this point.  Hopefully we win enough games in the second half of the Big Ten for it to be a non discussion. 

14 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Since then:

--Team chemistry is good

--Etc.

I think it is also important to look at past behavior. What has our AD done previously.

Potential Red Flags:

--I know that you don't give the lack of a contract extension much weight, it is still out there and worth noting.

--Injuries to key players would be overlooked as they were previously and therefore I give them little to no weight.

--I also believe he would give little to no weight to recruiting, unless we were consistently in the top 20.

--Crowd size has stagnated and I don't believe all of the season tickets were sold.

--Back to back losing seasons with the potential of a 3rd. This would make only 1 winning season in 4yrs.

--The end of year 4 it is the coaches team and can't really blame the previous head coach.

--Winning games that matter. No conference or BIG post season titles in 4yrs. Arguably, his biggest win was against Wisconsin in his second season.

--Coach was hired by previous AD and it is not uncommon for a new AD to want their staff/coach.

Potential Positives:

--First coach to get us back to the NCAA tournament since Danny Nee in the 90's.

--AD has shown the appearance of support for TM during the season despite his policy of not commenting about a HC prior to the end of the season.

--The History of basketball program is not good and the AD might believe that it would take more that 4yrs to turn it around.

--Seems to get along OK with the AD.

Thread Summary:

Well, after the Purdue Win, it looks like Miles is a great guy again  :wub:; and should be safe for at least one more year.  That is; until he re-enters Bummitude, following his next loss, player transfers, or assistant leaves, etc.  Apparently he can recruit, and develop, but he can't coach. 

Thread Summary:

Well, after the Purdue Win, it looks like Miles is a great guy again  :wub:; and should be safe for at least one more year.  That is; until he re-enters Bummitude, following his next loss, player transfers, or assistant leaves, etc.  Apparently he can recruit, and develop, but he can't coach. 

Yep that sums it up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I looked at the Purdue basketball board after the Husker game.  They're talking about firing their coach too.

This is life on anonymous message boards -- where accountability for inaccurate or unsupported information is nonexistent.

And where unrestrained ventings of frustration and disappointment are the norm.  

And where trolls can freely exercise their dysfunction and, apparently, tale pleasure or find self-worth in irritating others.

Trolling isn't the right word for it. Trolling is to make statements to get a negative/angry reaction.  Most people, when talking about replacing a coach after a loss, do it not to shock so much as to completely overreact.  I'm sure there are guys in Kentucky right now wondering if Calipari has lost it because he's lost two in a row.

I was at the bar last night and I'm sure this was just a BS comment but one of the guys there that supposedly knows someone in the athletic department said Miles is gone at the end of the season and the search is already underway.  While I doubt this is the case...Who knows anymore. Honestly I'd think it would be a bonehead move financially if it's the case.  Let the contract run out. 

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I was at the bar last night and I'm sure this was just a BS comment but one of the guys there that supposedly knows someone in the athletic department said Miles is gone at the end of the season and the search is already underway.  While I doubt this is the case...Who knows anymore. Honestly I'd think it would be a bonehead move financially if it's the case.  Let the contract run out. 

My unreliable and unverifiable sources tell me that those are alternative facts.

9 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I know you're just repeating this, but it is just that, 'Bar Talk!'  No way Miles is let go (unless ADSE has a can't-miss, big-name hire already in his back pocket; even I know the likelihood of that).

Miles is here for at least one more season; more if he starts showing better results with His recruits.

Forget finances;  Nebraska becomes fully vested and starts receiving it's full share of B1G revenues, This Year (beginning in June IIRC!)

Edited by Red Don

9 minutes ago, Red Don said:

I know you're just repeating this, but it is just that, 'Bar Talk!'  No way Miles is let go (unless ADSE has a can't-miss, big-name hire already in his back pocket; even I know the likelihood of that).

Miles is here for at least one more season; more if he starts showing better results with His recruits.

Forget finances;  Nebraska becomes fully vested and starts receiving it's full share of B1G revenues, This Year (beginning in June IIRC!)

Speaking of which...Does the University benefit from part of that or is it all athletic department money.  I know the Atllhletic department runs on its own finances, but with the massive cuts the U is going to be taking, they could really use a huge bump in finances that this full share will be bringing in. 

Pretty sure the University only gets Athletic Department money in the form of payments for the athletic scholarships (tuition fees, room & board on campus).  Not an insignificant number but also not one based on athletic department receipts.  That said our athletic department is at least self-supporting - lots of schools need to subsidize the athletic department with state funds.

15 hours ago, Red Don said:

I wouldn't say "No Way" Miles is let go.  This isn't exactly the kind of record we want to have in his 5th year with a new Practice Facility and PBA to recruit to.  If you take away the 2nd half of the conference season in 2013-14, his record would even look worse than this.  If we finish 10th or lower again this year, the AD might not have much choice but to make a move and find a coach that can have a winning record here.  As much as I really like Coach Miles, the numbers don't lie.  I think he deserves 1 more season but I'm not on the bandwagon that there is "No Way" he won't be let go at the end of this season if things keep trending like they are.

mbHoM+3ogYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Seems to me that getting a new coach next year would preclude any optimism about winning a tournament game next year and commit the program to another 4 or 5 years of "rebuilding" until the new coach gets his own recruits in place. However, those who post here, including myself, often have a skewed viewpoint since we are not the typical NU basketball fans. This was brought home to me the other night when I had dinner with some fair weather fans who had attended the Mich State game(one of whom had never been to the Pinnacle before). The main dinner topics of the night among the men consisted of comments about football recruiting, golf, and how rude it was to see the crowd at the arena try to spoil the introduction of the opposing team and how badly it reflected on the state. But at least I did find out that Freddy Couples has one of the sweetest swings in golf.

On 1/29/2017 at 6:37 PM, HuskerFever said:

Once again, this still stays in the back of my mind.

Add: Win vs Purdue, 83-80 (+3pts)

Now 6-6 within 10 points and 6-3 within 5 points.

Updated:

Win  vs Sacramento State, 83-61 (+22pts)
Win  vs University of Mary, 70-38 (+32pts)
Win  vs Louisiana Tech, 65-54 (+11pts)
Win  ne Dayton, 80-78 (+2pts)
Loss ne UCLA, 71-82 (-11pts)
Loss ne Virginia Tech, 53-66 (-13pts)
Loss at Clemson, 58-60 (-2pts)
Win  vs South Dakota, 73-61 (+12pts)
Loss vs Creighton, 62-77 (-15pts)
Loss vs Kansas, 72-89 (-17pts)
Loss vs Gardner-Webb, 62-70 (-8pts)
Win  vs Southern, 81-76 (+5pts)
Win  at Indiana, 87-83 (+4pts)
Win  at Maryland, 67-65 (+2pts)
Win  vs Iowa, 93-90 2OT (+3pts)
Loss vs Northwestern, 66-74 (-8pts)
Loss at Michigan, 85-91 (-6pts)
Loss vs Ohio State, 66-67 (-1pts)
Loss at Rutgers, 64-65 (-1pts)
Loss at Northwestern, 61-73 (-12pts)
Win  vs Purdue 83-80, (+3pts)
Loss vs Michigan State, 61-72 (-11pts)
Loss at Iowa, 70-81 (-11pts)

Records:
Games between 0-4 points: 5-3 (4-2)
Games between 5-9 points: 1-3 (0-2)

Double-digit games: 4-7 (0-3)

Top 5 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech), 5 (Southern)

Top 5 largest defeats: 17 (Kansas), 15 (Creighton), 13 (Virginia Tech), 12 (Northwestern), 11 (UCLA/Michigan State/Iowa)

The fact that Southern (+5 points) is a Top 5 largest margin of victory is concerning.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Seems to me that getting a new coach next year would preclude any optimism about winning a tournament game next year and commit the program to another 4 or 5 years of "rebuilding" until the new coach gets his own recruits in place. However, those who post here, including myself, often have a skewed viewpoint since we are not the typical NU basketball fans. This was brought home to me the other night when I had dinner with some fair weather fans who had attended the Mich State game(one of whom had never been to the Pinnacle before). The main dinner topics of the night among the men consisted of comments about football recruiting, golf, and how rude it was to see the crowd at the arena try to spoil the introduction of the opposing team and how badly it reflected on the state. But at least I did find out that Freddy Couples has one of the sweetest swings in golf.

Just curious why you think a new coach would preclude any optimism about winning a tournament game next year?  We'd have the same players but a new coaching philosophy might actual increase our chances to get to the tournament a win a game.  Not saying it will but not saying it won't either.  The year after our tournament run with basically our entire team back, we go 13-18 on the season and 5-13 in conference play.  So I'm not automatically buying in that just because we have the same players back next year with the same coach will magically get us a tournament win.  Miles hasn't shown he can't capitalize on the brief moments of success we have had.  No doubt we are getting better players and athletics but so did Bill Callahan.  It's one thing to get them here, it's another thing to be able to win with them.  I hope Miles gets another year cause I think he deserves it but as an AD, I can see him thinking it's time to move in a different direction based on Miles record here so far.

6 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Just curious why you think a new coach would preclude any optimism about winning a tournament game next year?  We'd have the same players but a new coaching philosophy might actual increase our chances to get to the tournament a win a game.  Not saying it will but not saying it won't either.  The year after our tournament run with basically our entire team back, we go 13-18 on the season and 5-13 in conference play.  So I'm not automatically buying in that just because we have the same players back next year with the same coach will magically get us a tournament win.  Miles hasn't shown he can't capitalize on the brief moments of success we have had.  No doubt we are getting better players and athletics but so did Bill Callahan.  It's one thing to get them here, it's another thing to be able to win with them.  I hope Miles gets another year cause I think he deserves it but as an AD, I can see him thinking it's time to move in a different direction based on Miles record here so far.

Very well said

7 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Just to address this point here, I don't think it would be a given that the highlighted above would be the case.  If our current coaching staff isn't retained I could see as many as 4 or 5 guys leave the program with them mostly because there are so many underclassmen with redshirt years available.

With that kind of roster turnover you can be assured we'd be looking at a total rebuild...again.  Hence my wariness of even talking about the subject honestly.

Just now, 49r said:

Just to address this point here, I don't think it would be a given that the highlighted above would be the case.  If our current coaching staff isn't retained I could see as many as 4 or 5 guys leave the program with them mostly because there are so many underclassmen with redshirt years available.

With that kind of roster turnover you can be assured we'd be looking at a total rebuild...again.  Hence my wariness of even talking about the subject honestly.

With any transition there's attrition.  Heck theres attrition without transitions.   That being said...I'd be surprised if 4-5 guys left.....especially if we made a good hire to replace Miles.

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

Most players don't want to redshirt if they don't have to.  If for some reason a change is made I would be surprised if we lost 4-5 to transfer or guys from our core group.  But it is a reason for concern.  Hopefully, if it comes down to it a hire would be made swiftly and it's one that the players can get on board with. 

@nustudent you wouldn't be surprised if 2 guys left without a coaching change, right?  I mean, it's fairly likely that's how many guys we'll lose this year.  Why wouldn't it be likely that a couple more would decide to transfer out with a change?  These are for the most part Rivals 150 guys, so they'd be pretty highly sought after players at the P5 level, and a fair number of them came to NU because of Mo or Kenya, and for those guys alone.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that we're going to just get a new guy in and everything will be the same.  And, no, the Doc to Miles transition was not the same...those guys weren't going to be able to transfer to other D1 programs (except for probably Shavon and Benny) let alone other P5 teams.  It's not even really like the Barry to Doc transition really, but still Doc had to completely re-recruit the whole team, and only just barely got Maric to come back.

To be clear, I'm not advocating one way or another, but to think you can just replace the coaching staff and not skip a beat is, well, delusional.