Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

On 1/24/2017 at 2:27 PM, HuskerFever said:

I keep coming back to this in my head.

I'm one of those people who won't give credit for close losses without accounting for the close wins as well. So here are the games that were within 10 points:

Win  vs Dayton, 80-78 (+2pts)

Loss at Clemson, 58-60 (-2pts)

Loss vs Gardner-Webb, 62-70 (-8pts)

Win  vs Southern, 81-76 (+5pts)

Win  at Indiana, 87-83 (+4pts)

Win  at Maryland, 67-65 (+2pts)

Win  vs Iowa, 93-90 2OT (+3pts)

Loss vs Northwestern, 66-74 (-8pts)

Loss at Michigan, 85-91 (-6pts)

Loss vs Ohio State, 66-67 (-1pts)

Loss at Rutgers, 64-65 (-1pts)

Record for games within 10: 5-6 (Avg margin of victory: 3.2; Avg margin of loss: 4.3)

Record for games within 5: 5-3 (Avg margin of victory: 3.2; Avg margin of loss: 1.3)

Record for games outside of 10: 4-4 (Avg margin of victory: 19.25; Avg margin of loss: 14)

Record for games outside of 10 during Big Ten play: 0-0

Top 4 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech)

Top 4 largest defeats: 17 (Kansas), 15 (Creighton), 13 (Virginia Tech), 11 (UCLA)

The fact that we haven't lost a double-digit game to a Big Ten team (yet) is pretty fascinating. Sure, we're losing some close heartbreaking games, but that's the tightrope you're going to walk when you're being competitive (or some could argue at times, "playing to the level of your competition"). You're going to win some you should and some you shouldn't and you're going to lose some you should and some you shouldn't. We're standing at 5-6 in those close games (within 10) and 5-3 in really close games (within 5). I suppose that's what separates us from a bottom half team and a top half team.

Once again, this still stays in the back of my mind.

Add: Win vs Purdue, 83-80 (+3pts)

Now 6-6 within 10 points and 6-3 within 5 points.

7 hours ago, jimmykc said:

You mean when he laughed at Bill Byrne's million dollar offer? I wonder what his record would be now if he accepted?

who knows, he might be selling shoes somewhere, now.

Just because he has had success at Illinois and Kansas, does not mean he would have done it here.

Some jobs are tougher...and there are very good coaches whose career died because they couldn't win at a place that is tough to win.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Take it for what it's worth but TM job security is still in doubt. Finish with a winning record and he will be here next season. Finish with a losing record and his job will be in jeopardy. This is not my opinion.

The next 3 games are very important. 

Mate you saying you know something we don't?  Also,  I would be very displeased if this happened.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, Nebrasketballer said:

Hard not to be tentative when you are sitting on the bench, when you should be getting serious minutes...

What does it for you?  Is it, the 19% 3-point shooting clip or the nearly team-leading turnovers per minute played (2nd only to Jordy)?

Isaiah needs to do what Jack and Jeriah did:  Play himself back into the rotation.

The fact you think Isaiah Roby should be getting "serious minutes" really calls into question your judgment about whether Miles should be retained or not.

4 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

That is relevant to my post...how?

Well...because, Barry is running things in Lincoln nowadays of course.

As long as the rumor mill is churning and burning, I have not heard Miles needs any sort of winning record.  But, I have been told Eichorst(or Barry) has three replacements in mind and if he thinks he can land any of them in the offseason then Miles is gone.  But, you know how the rumor mill goes when a goes is perceived to be on the "hot seat." 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

15 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

This is what was told to me. There might be others here who have also heard the same thing. 

So, Shawn, you are not taking into account that we played the 3rd toughest schedule in the country, and the amount of talented youth on this team?  It's winning record or else?

11 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Well...because, Barry is running things in Lincoln nowadays of course.

As long as the rumor mill is churning and burning, I have not heard Miles needs any sort of winning record.  But, I have been told Eichorst(or Barry) has three replacements in mind and if he thinks he can land any of them in the offseason then Miles is gone.  But, you know how the rumor mill goes when a goes is perceived to be on the "hot seat." 

If you say so.

If you haven't heard anything then go with that.

Every AD should always have a running list of potential replacement coaches.

I am not buying Miles on the hot seat with the Athletic Director.  Eichorst had highly positive things to say, publicly, about the state of the basketball program, and his confidence in that program, right before the Indiana win--which is a departure from normal behavior.  I don't see anything that would have changed his assessment between then and now.

5 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Minnesota's non con SOS falls at #19 in the nation. 

KenPom paints a drastically different picture:

Date Rk Opponent Result     Location Record Conf  
Fri Nov 11 71 139 Louisiana Lafayette W, 86-74 79   Home 1-0    
Mon Nov 14 69 69 UT Arlington W, 84-67 73   Home 2-0    
Wed Nov 16 67 213 Mount St. Mary's W, 80-56 73   Home 3-0    
Fri Nov 18 65 105 St. John's W, 92-86 81   Home 4-0    
Tue Nov 22 67 49 Arkansas W, 85-71 74   Home 5-0   b.gif
Fri Nov 25 60 170 Southern Illinois W, 57-45 65   Home 6-0    
Mon Nov 28 60 23 Florida St. L, 75-67 78   Away 6-1   a.gif
Sat Dec 3 57 61 Vanderbilt W, 56-52 65   Neutral 7-1   b.gif
Tue Dec 6 51 250 NJIT W, 74-68 73   Home 8-1    
Fri Dec 9 54 145 Georgia Southern W, 86-49 71   Home 9-1    
Sun Dec 11 48 188 Northern Illinois W, 77-57 71   Home 10-1    
Wed Dec 14 47 268 LIU Brooklyn W, 76-66 68   Home 11-1    
Fri Dec 23 45 107 Arkansas St. W, 82-75 75   Home 12-1  

Strength of Schedule
Components: 107.0 45 101.0 36 104.0
Overall: +6.01 36 0.00
Non-conference: -1.11 200 0.00

2 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

I am not buying Miles on the hot seat with the Athletic Director.  Eichorst had highly positive things to say, publicly, about the state of the basketball program, and his confidence in that program, right before the Indiana win--which is a departure from normal behavior.  I don't see anything that would have changed his assessment between then and now.

Could be the dreaded "vote of confidence" tweet though...

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Having a winning record is very important for TM future. 

I'm just judging from Eichorst's past with coaching hires, and what he favors.  Tim checks all his boxes.  He is optimistic, full of energy,  has recruited talented players, and the team is young.  He can't control injuries.  I would have to say that most of the die hards would want to keep Miles around, knowing the young talent on this team.  If it is a booster that is running the program behind the scenes,  I would be very disappointed if he gave into them.

Absolutely NO WAY Miles should be fired after this season, nor will he.

However, I believe it will be "tournament or bust" next  year, as it should be with that talented roster and what will be a (fairly) experienced team, with the shine of the new facilities wearing off one more year and the fan interest (seemingly) losing luster if we don't perform.

I believe Miles will be back next year - no reason in hell to fire him, even despite my overall disappointment with how this season has gone.

I looked at the Purdue basketball board after the Husker game.  They're talking about firing their coach too.

This is life on anonymous message boards -- where accountability for inaccurate or unsupported information is nonexistent.

And where unrestrained ventings of frustration and disappointment are the norm.  

And where trolls can freely exercise their dysfunction and, apparently, take pleasure or find self-worth in irritating others.

Edited by Swan88