Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

1 minute ago, PimpMario said:

I will entertain the argument that we could be as good next year as this. Hopefully our frontcourt makes huge strides.

But no one seems to be stepping up from a scoring standpoint. Roby Horne Jacobsen Evelyn either miss shots or just don't take them when they are open. Tai, and shields and petteway have taken a lot of shots their last seasons but it's not like anyone else stepped up. And it doesn't seem like we have an offensive identity.

Roby has been tentative the last few games.  He seems to think Doc is the coach, and if he takes a quick shot, even if he's open, he's going to get benched.  He's been shooting alright.  If he's going to play 20+ minutes a game, he needs to shoot the ball.  In his last 4 games, he has taken 11 shots.  Horne is not scared to shoot, but he is in a slump, and is struggling defensively.  Jacobson misses Morrow.  They complement each other well.  He is not a guy that is going to bang without that enforcer.  That is why I was hoping Jordy and Mike might start playing together, while Morrow is gone.  He won't be back until MSU at the earliest, which given his lay-off, he might not get many minutes his first few games back. 

Roby has been tentative the last few games.  He seems to think Doc is the coach, and if he takes a quick shot, even if he's open, he's going to get benched.  He's been shooting alright.  If he's going to play 20+ minutes a game, he needs to shoot the ball.  In his last 4 games, he has taken 11 shots.  Horne is not scared to shoot, but he is in a slump, and is struggling defensively.  Jacobson misses Morrow.  They complement each other well.  He is not a guy that is going to bang without that enforcer.  That is why I was hoping Jordy and Mike might start playing together, while Morrow is gone.  He won't be back until MSU at the earliest, which given his lay-off, he might not get many minutes his first few games back. 

I fear giving miles a 6th year will lead to a 5 losing season in 6 years.

We are not winning now and miles doesn't seem to be building to the future

Just now, PimpMario said:

I fear giving miles a 6th year will lead to a 5 losing season in 6 years.

We are not winning now and miles doesn't seem to be building to the future

Do you want him to play only the freshman and probably lose or play the guys who probably aren't freshmen who give us better chances of winning?  Roby has started the last 4 games BTW.

4 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I want to either win or feel like we could win next year. We aren't doing either. Do you disagree?

Everyone except Webster will be back next year.

Do you think we should bench Webster and play Horne 30 minutes a game?

Also you guys haven't brought up in this recent thread we have Palmer and Copeland coming off red shirts next year.

Everyone except Webster will be back next year.
Do you think we should bench Webster and play Horne 30 minutes a game?
Also you guys haven't brought up in this recent thread we have Palmer and Copeland coming off red shirts next year.

So next year is the year we stop having losing seasons in your opinion?

Just now, PimpMario said:

So next year is the year we stop having losing seasons in your opinion?

I don't know that it's next year. I also don't know that it's not this year.  

What I'm saying is that your opinion that we aren't playing young players because Horne isn't playing is flawed.

I don't know that it's next year. I also don't know that it's not this year.  
What I'm saying is that your opinion that we aren't playing young players because Horne isn't playing is flawed.

What you are saying is even more depressing.

I don't have some strong argument. But from what I have seen of this team I am not expecting them to make a big jump next year.

Maybe the newcomers and experience for the returners will significantly outweigh the loss of Tai.

I certainly hope so.

16 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I don't have some strong argument. But from what I have seen of this team I am not expecting them to make a big jump next year.

Maybe the newcomers and experience for the returners will significantly outweigh the loss of Tai.

I certainly hope so.

Morrow averaged 4.1 PPG and 3.3 RPG last year.  This year, he is at 10.2 and 7.3.  Watson averaged 8 PPG last year, and now is at 14.5.  Why can't the freshmen have a similar jump next year?  

11 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Morrow averaged 4.1 PPG and 3.3 RPG last year.  This year, he is at 10.2 and 7.3.  Watson averaged 8 PPG last year, and now is at 14.5.  Why can't the freshmen have a similar jump next year?  

Nobody ever improves, @brfrad didn't you know that?  We've never been able to replace senior production.  Freshmen never improve.  It's all just so terrible...

4 hours ago, PimpMario said:

I certainly hope so.

I'll take your season tickets off of your hands if you are so down on the the team.

Where's my Soapbox?? Oh, there it is.  If SE fires TM after this year, I would be devastated.  I don't understand why people can't see the potential this team/program has going forward and what could potentially happen to our roster if TM was axed. Are we lined-up to make a Final Four run next year...... NO!!!! Am I ok with that........ YES!!!  But I do think we can make the tournament the next couple years.  I think 99% of you on here are smart, passionate, nebrasketball fans (I feel I'm both, maybe more of the latter) and you know the history of the program, or lack there of.  We're not KU, UK, Duke, etc., we're not going to make the dance every year.  We need to take the next step first.  I think we're very close to that next step.  I think our program should strive to make the tournament every year, but as fans, we should be more than thrilled to make it once every 3-4 years.  If we make it more.... GREAT!!! If you're not happy about that then you've been flaming pissed the last 20 years.  We have YOUNG TALENT here. We know this.  If you look at what Barry and Doc left, Miles' talent is much much stronger.  Sure Doc had Shavon, but he didn't have 4*'s and a 5* coming out of his southern ears like TM does.  Rivers, Shavon, Ray, Ubel, Diaz-he might have stayed??) vs. Morrow, Watson, Roby, Jacobson, Gill, Copeland, Horne, Palmer, ET, Jordy, Jack.  Miles wins in a landslide.  I understand we're below .500 (if we played any of our prior schedules the last 20 years we'd still be thinking 18/19 wins is probably a possibility) but Miles got us to the tournament.  I have more confidence in him then ANYONE else to get us back there. Yes..... ANYONE.  More then Chris Collins??? YES!!! More than Coach K???  YES!!!!....... Why...... CUZ THEY'RE NOT COMING HERE!!!! We currently have a coach (ing staff) that has got us to the tournament and has filled the roster with 3 and 4 stars.  Does that mean since we have a bunch of potential talent that a coach is safe, no, but, I just think fans need to stay behind this team and not put crazy ideas in SE's head.  If you don't have this vision, I'd love to hear why you think we would want to break this team up.  A team that seems to really play hard, respects and likes each other and the coaching staff.  A team that has shown glimpses of being really good at times.

If some of you want Miles gone.  Be careful what you wish for.  How many schools would be lined up to make Morrow/Watson a package deal.  A better questions would be how many schools wouldn't be lined-up to take them.  

12 minutes ago, SkersHoops said:

Where's my Soapbox?? Oh, there it is.  If SE fires TM after this year, I would be devastated.  I don't understand why people can't see the potential this team/program has going forward and what could potentially happen to our roster if TM was axed. Are we lined-up to make a Final Four run next year...... NO!!!! Am I ok with that........ YES!!!  But I do think we can make the tournament the next couple years.  I think 99% of you on here are smart, passionate, nebrasketball fans (I feel I'm both, maybe more of the latter) and you know the history of the program, or lack there of.  We're not KU, UK, Duke, etc., we're not going to make the dance every year.  We need to take the next step first.  I think we're very close to that next step.  I think our program should strive to make the tournament every year, but as fans, we should be more than thrilled to make it once every 3-4 years.  If we make it more.... GREAT!!! If you're not happy about that then you've been flaming pissed the last 20 years.  We have YOUNG TALENT here. We know this.  If you look at what Barry and Doc left, Miles' talent is much much stronger.  Sure Doc had Shavon, but he didn't have 4*'s and a 5* coming out of his southern ears like TM does.  Rivers, Shavon, Ray, Ubel, Diaz-he might have stayed??) vs. Morrow, Watson, Roby, Jacobson, Gill, Copeland, Horne, Palmer, ET, Jordy, Jack.  Miles wins in a landslide.  I understand we're below .500 (if we played any of our prior schedules the last 20 years we'd still be thinking 18/19 wins is probably a possibility) but Miles got us to the tournament.  I have more confidence in him then ANYONE else to get us back there. Yes..... ANYONE.  More then Chris Collins??? YES!!! More than Coach K???  YES!!!!....... Why...... CUZ THEY'RE NOT COMING HERE!!!! We currently have a coach (ing staff) that has got us to the tournament and has filled the roster with 3 and 4 stars.  Does that mean since we have a bunch of potential talent that a coach is safe, no, but, I just think fans need to stay behind this team and not put crazy ideas in SE's head.  If you don't have this vision, I'd love to hear why you think we would want to break this team up.  A team that seems to really play hard, respects and likes each other and the coaching staff.  A team that has shown glimpses of being really good at times.

If some of you want Miles gone.  Be careful what you wish for.  How many schools would be lined up to make Morrow/Watson a package deal.  A better questions would be how many schools wouldn't be lined-up to take them.  

Why are you assuming guys like Morrow/Watson will be transferring if Miles is let go?  I could be wrong, but I don't think either of them would be eager to sit out a year. 

Assuming, yes.  I just don't want that to even be a possibility.  Odds are they probably would stay. I have no clue?  I just know the thought would have to at least pop in their heads if they lose their entire coaching staff.  Maybe it would be a quick, "No, I'm staying no matter what!", or maybe it would be, "Well, if I did have to sit out a year, who would be interested and what position could I put myself in?"

2 minutes ago, SkersHoops said:

Assuming, yes.  I just don't want that to even be a possibility.  Odds are they probably would stay. I have no clue?  I just know the thought would have to at least pop in their heads if they lose their entire coaching staff.  Maybe it would be a quick, "No, I'm staying no matter what!", or maybe it would be, "Well, if I did have to sit out a year, who would be interested and what position could I put myself in?"

It would definitely suck to lose Morrow/Watson if Miles is fired...hopefully if a decision is made one way or the other they do so with that in mind.  I really don't want to see the roster blown up and have to start from scratch. 

Will let's see if miles can win next year. At some point you have to win. And I think our standard should be higher than one tournament run for every 3 or 4 losing seasons.

People are saying we need to win. Of course we do. A lot of people are also saying Miles should have next year. I believe this too. I'm in the boat that we should be (more) patient. I don't want this team to be blown up because despite what the record says we are, the team plays hard and has been 'close'. At the fault of Miles, he had to basically do a second build for this program. This is year 2 of that second build in my mind. It's a build in my opinion that started with a core of freshman (Ed/Glynn/Jack/Jacobson group) that are lineup up to have a successful team in their junior and senior seasons. That group anchors a slower build approach that Miles didn't use for his first build when he first arrived. We made the tournament with his piecemeal first bunch of Doc leftovers and transfers. When that blew up after Petteway and Pitchford left he reloaded with freshmen. 

I have a hard time with the thought that Eichorst could blow this up after this season. I think a lot of people who are really questioning Miles, still think he should be given next season.  I hope Eichorst doesn't do anything after this season because I have a hard time believing that the next guy won't have the exact same struggles here.  And while the record points to who we are and who Miles is, I personally see a team that's as close as it's ever been. 

8 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

People are saying we need to win. Of course we do. A lot of people are also saying Miles should have next year. I believe this too. I'm in the boat that we should be (more) patient. I don't want this team to be blown up because despite what the record says we are, the team plays hard and has been 'close'. At the fault of Miles, he had to basically do a second build for this program. This is year 2 of that second build in my mind. It's a build in my opinion that started with a core of freshman (Ed/Glynn/Jack/Jacobson group) that are lineup up to have a successful team in their junior and senior seasons. That group anchors a slower build approach that Miles didn't use for his first build when he first arrived. We made the tournament with his piecemeal first bunch of Doc leftovers and transfers. When that blew up after Petteway and Pitchford left he reloaded with freshmen. 

I have a hard time with the thought that Eichorst could blow this up after this season. I think a lot of people who are really questioning Miles, still think he should be given next season.  I hope Eichorst doesn't do anything after this season because I have a hard time believing that the next guy won't have the exact same struggles here.  And while the record points to who we are and who Miles is, I personally see a team that's as close as it's ever been. 

Great post ajb. I might add that this season reminds a lot of the before Danny took the  team to  26 wins.

26 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Will let's see if miles can win next year. At some point you have to win. And I think our standard should be higher than one tournament run for every 3 or 4 losing seasons.

Maybe.  But...... Do you know how many winning conference seasons we've had this century?  1!!!! 1 winning conference season!!!  Of course that was 2013-14.  So..... Maybe I'm selling my soul here, but if we were competitive and played hard in our non-dancing years, I would take 3 Dances every 10 years.  Maybe even every 12.  Call me crazy.  It's a hell of an improvement over the beginning of this century.  That 2013-14 run was so exciting, I could wait 4 years for another run like that.  Speaking of that...... What year is it?

Just make one of those 3 dances a minimum sweet 16 please. 

22 minutes ago, SkersHoops said:

Could not disagree with this more!!!  I'm sorry but when we spend the money to build PBA and new practice facility, my expectations went up as well.  There are no more excuses for the University of Nebraska to not have a competitive basketball program. As a long time season ticket holder, I would not be thrilled to just make the tournament every 3-4 years.  My expectation is to make it more often than that and to compete for conference championships.  Just because the bar has been set low in the past doesn't mean it shouldn't be raised.  Everything is in place for us to compete for conference championships and NCAA tournament wins so why not make that the expectation!!!  I'm tired of people who think we should be happy if we just make the tournament every so often.  There was a day and time for an expectation like that but those days are gone.  The bar needs to be raised!!!

20 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Could not disagree with this more!!!  I'm sorry but when we spend the money to build PBA and new practice facility, my expectations went up as well.  There are no more excuses for the University of Nebraska to not have a competitive basketball program. As a long time season ticket holder, I would not be thrilled to just make the tournament every 3-4 years.  My expectation is to make it more often than that and to compete for conference championships.  Just because the bar has been set low in the past doesn't mean it shouldn't be raised.  Everything is in place for us to compete for conference championships and NCAA tournament wins so why not make that the expectation!!!  I'm tired of people who think we should be happy if we just make the tournament every so often.  There was a day and time for an expectation like that but those days are gone.  The bar needs to be raised!!!

Here are the number of NCAA appearances since 2000. I would have been pleased if we would have had the outcomes of Michigan (about 1 appearance every 3 years (2.8) with a finals appearance.  Not bad.  If you won't be happy until the Maryland-Ohio.st range (making Dance more times than not), then you're more strict then me.  More power to ya.  I hope we can get there. 

Michigan St.:17

Wisconsin: 17

Ohio St: 12

Indiana: 11

Illinois: 11

Purdue: 10

Maryland: 10

Michigan: 6

Iowa: 6

Minnesota: 4

Penn St.: 2

Nebraska: 1

Northwestern: 0

Rutgers: 0

@SkersHoops as an aside here, those 17 appearances for Wisconsin account for over 77% of their NCAA tourney apparences ALL TIME!  If you extend the timeline to 20 years, it goes up to a whopping 86%

NCAA Tournament appearances
1941, 1947, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Point is, they may have an impressive looking number of tourney appearances under their belt, but they are MOST DEFINITELY new money hoops royalty.  Before that, they were a bad, BAD basketball program.