Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

It's a good effort, @Buglem but probably worthless trying to talk any sense into @nustudent.  He gets this way...has been for many many years and I don't think he will ever change.  It's just a cycle with him.

- whines and cries about replacing a coach at right about the 5 year mark, gets really pissy and defensive when anyone replies

- gets all excited about potential replacement coaches, whines and pisses and moans when none of them are chosen

- finally gets on board with new coach and seems actually positive about the program for a few months

- disappears for 4 years from the message board

Rinse...repeat.  It's really just a cycle of negativity with him, despite his promises of being positive "when there's something to be positive about"....here's a hint, with him, there never is.  He'll ONLY make the effort to post when the team is down.

Now, having said this, I'm not casting judgement here...he is what he is, and it's his life and this is a free forum where one can freely express one's opinion.  But yeah, there's only two things that can happen to shut him up in this phase of the cycle.  Winning games, or replacing the coaching staff.  Preferably the latter.

I 100% think Miles should be given next year. I think that will be the year where all of our patience as fans pays off (not saying this year is over but next year could really be huge if the right things such as offseason turnover and injuries go our way).

If Miles fails to produce next year then he's got to go. That's just how big boy athletics work.

10 minutes ago, khoock said:

I 100% think Miles should be given next year. I think that will be the year where all of our patience as fans pays off (not saying this year is over but next year could really be huge if the right things such as offseason turnover and injuries go our way).

If Miles fails to produce next year then he's got to go. That's just how big boy athletics work.

giphy.gif

Amazing what a couple close losses/wins can do for a program.  National media is talking about NW being on the "up and up" (rightfully so) and here we are trending the wrong way.  Had we just pulled out the two heart break losses, we would be 5-2 and in 2nd place in the B10 and we may be the team getting some pub.  NW has won their close games and it makes Collins a "genius".  We have lost our close games and Miles is clueless. 

At the end of the day we need to win and unfortunately we haven't these last couple games.  I honestly believe we would be 5-2 or even 6-1 with Morrow.  Now, injuries are part of the game and I get that, it just stinks. 

Its a fine line with coaching.  Had Tai taken care of the ball late vs Rutgers and had we hit some FT's vs OSU we would all be dancing in the streets.  Instead, we lost them both in heart break fashion and frustration sets in.

I for one hope Miles gets at least another year.  As mentioned above, it would be one thing if I never felt we had a chance in games.  This year more than any other I always think this team can win on any given night. 

In my 20 years of having season tickets this has been one of the tougher years because of how we have found ways to lose close games (Clemson, OSU, Rutgers).  Just a shame we didn't find a way to win 2 of those and our outlook would be completely different. 

10 minutes ago, bball23 said:

Amazing what a couple close losses/wins can do for a program.  National media is talking about NW being on the "up and up" (rightfully so) and here we are trending the wrong way.  Had we just pulled out the two heart break losses, we would be 5-2 and in 2nd place in the B10 and we may be the team getting some pub.  NW has won their close games and it makes Collins a "genius".  We have lost our close games and Miles is clueless. 

At the end of the day we need to win and unfortunately we haven't these last couple games.  I honestly believe we would be 5-2 or even 6-1 with Morrow.  Now, injuries are part of the game and I get that, it just stinks. 

Its a fine line with coaching.  Had Tai taken care of the ball late vs Rutgers and had we hit some FT's vs OSU we would all be dancing in the streets.  Instead, we lost them both in heart break fashion and frustration sets in.

I for one hope Miles gets at least another year.  As mentioned above, it would be one thing if I never felt we had a chance in games.  This year more than any other I always think this team can win on any given night. 

In my 20 years of having season tickets this has been one of the tougher years because of how we have found ways to lose close games (Clemson, OSU, Rutgers).  Just a shame we didn't find a way to win 2 of those and our outlook would be completely different. 

All the credit in the world for NW/Collins for what they've done, especially because they gave us the business at home when we had Morrow. They'll be in decent position to win a tournament game this year, which would leave us all by our lonesome.

As for the Miles being fired talk going on above. I think he should be given next year. That team will be his most talented and Nebraska's most talented team in quite some time. That being said, if by next March we aren't at least on the bubble, it will be time to cut him loose. Don't think you're gonna get much more talent than that at Nebraska. 

On 1/22/2017 at 1:23 PM, aphilso1 said:

In Sadler's last two years, we were losing a bunch of conference games by 30+ points.  It wasn't just the number of losses, it was the fact that those losses were flat out embarrassing due to our talent deficiencies.  There was no hope for improvement and for that reason Doc clearly needed to go.  That is not the same situation that we find ourselves in today.

I keep coming back to this in my head.

I'm one of those people who won't give credit for close losses without accounting for the close wins as well. So here are the games that were within 10 points:

Win  vs Dayton, 80-78 (+2pts)

Loss at Clemson, 58-60 (-2pts)

Loss vs Gardner-Webb, 62-70 (-8pts)

Win  vs Southern, 81-76 (+5pts)

Win  at Indiana, 87-83 (+4pts)

Win  at Maryland, 67-65 (+2pts)

Win  vs Iowa, 93-90 2OT (+3pts)

Loss vs Northwestern, 66-74 (-8pts)

Loss at Michigan, 85-91 (-6pts)

Loss vs Ohio State, 66-67 (-1pts)

Loss at Rutgers, 64-65 (-1pts)

Record for games within 10: 5-6 (Avg margin of victory: 3.2; Avg margin of loss: 4.3)

Record for games within 5: 5-3 (Avg margin of victory: 3.2; Avg margin of loss: 1.3)

Record for games outside of 10: 4-4 (Avg margin of victory: 19.25; Avg margin of loss: 14)

Record for games outside of 10 during Big Ten play: 0-0

Top 4 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech)

Top 4 largest defeats: 17 (Kansas), 15 (Creighton), 13 (Virginia Tech), 11 (UCLA)

The fact that we haven't lost a double-digit game to a Big Ten team (yet) is pretty fascinating. Sure, we're losing some close heartbreaking games, but that's the tightrope you're going to walk when you're being competitive (or some could argue at times, "playing to the level of your competition"). You're going to win some you should and some you shouldn't and you're going to lose some you should and some you shouldn't. We're standing at 5-6 in those close games (within 10) and 5-3 in really close games (within 5). I suppose that's what separates us from a bottom half team and a top half team.

Edited by HuskerFever

17 hours ago, TomEadesSucks said:

If you're the AD, and you decide to keep Miles another year, do you extend his contract? Pay him more and reduce his buyout? 

If I was AD, I wouldn't do either.  He was signed to a 7 year contract when hired so I leave his contract as is and if he doesn't reach the NCAA tournament next year, I fired him with only 1 left on contract.   

8 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

If I was AD, I wouldn't do either.  He was signed to a 7 year contract when hired so I leave his contract as is and if he doesn't reach the NCAA tournament next year, I fired him with only 1 left on contract.   

This is pretty much what Maryland did with Turgeon and I'd agree with it as well.  This whole "unless you have an X year contract you will get negative recruited against" thing is basically an unwritten rule bogeyman churned up by sports agents and by AD's as an excuse to extend a guy and reported as gospel. I'll bet dollars to donuts that guys with 5 years on their contracts get fired as much as guys with 2 years on their contracts.

Pry more guys with 5 years left on their contracts get fired than ones with 2 years left if you think about it, simply because there are so few that actually get that close to the end of the contract.

But yeah, Turgeon was on the verge of getting axed, then Melo showed up.

Same goes for Groce probably.  He may just squeak by with his job intact next year when his 5 star recruit Tilmon gets on the team, that should be his saving grace.

20 hours ago, TomEadesSucks said:

If you're the AD, and you decide to keep Miles another year, do you extend his contract? Pay him more and reduce his buyout? 

Honestly, I think this is a big reason as to why Miles future has been discussed.  I have not read this whole thread but I don't think many(or any) are saying Miles will be or should be fired at the end of this year.  I get that people should let the season play out, but I don't get that some seem up in arms thinking it's crazy talk that Miles job may be in jeopardy?  I can see valid viewpoints for both retaining him and going in a different direction(assuming we don't kick ass the rest of the season). 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, 49r said:

It's a good effort, @Buglem but probably worthless trying to talk any sense into @nustudent.  He gets this way...has been for many many years and I don't think he will ever change.  It's just a cycle with him.

- whines and cries about replacing a coach at right about the 5 year mark, gets really pissy and defensive when anyone replies

- gets all excited about potential replacement coaches, whines and pisses and moans when none of them are chosen

- finally gets on board with new coach and seems actually positive about the program for a few months

- disappears for 4 years from the message board

Rinse...repeat.  It's really just a cycle of negativity with him, despite his promises of being positive "when there's something to be positive about"....here's a hint, with him, there never is.  He'll ONLY make the effort to post when the team is down.

Now, having said this, I'm not casting judgement here...he is what he is, and it's his life and this is a free forum where one can freely express one's opinion.  But yeah, there's only two things that can happen to shut him up in this phase of the cycle.  Winning games, or replacing the coaching staff.  Preferably the latter.

You realize I was a Miles guy and was pretty darn defensive of him until Gardner Webb this year, right?

Edited by nustudent

Depending on how we finish out the year this could be a tough call. I do think he will get one more year after this year though mostly due to the talent he has brought in overall and the general youth of the team. The excuses are running out, however this team keeps battling and hasn't been losing faith it seems. It will be interesting to see how we finish out the year. If we remain competitive and win a few more conference games I think he's safe, but if we look defeated emotionally and we finish poorly I wouldn't feel too comfortable if I were Miles. I have the feeling Eichorst is itching to hire his own guy and I'm not sure he believes Miles is the guy to coach this talent optimally. I don't know if I think Miles can lead these guys to success either. Miles's record is scarily worse than Collier and Sadler (yes, I know they coached in an easier conference) and if you take out our run to the NCAAs it looks especially scary.

33 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Meh, Dirk gonna Dirk.  SE didn't hire Miles, but he's exactly the kind of guy SE likes with all that positive energy stuff. The core sophomore guys, roby and jordy will hang around and Miles will get next year.  Unless he somehow manages to ruin the team, they'll be improved and in bubble talk all season at minimum.  It just sucks we have to endure another month of this season. 

Meh, Dirk gonna Dirk.  SE didn't hire Miles, but he's exactly the kind of guy SE likes with all that positive energy stuff. The core sophomore guys, roby and jordy will hang around and Miles will get next year.  Unless he somehow manages to ruin the team, they'll be improved and in bubble talk all season at minimum.  It just sucks we have to endure another month of this season. 

Why would we be better next year?

We lose our best player and our young guys don't seem to be getting quality minutes.

1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

Why would we be better next year?
We lose our best player and our young guys don't seem to be getting quality minutes.

Roby in his last four games, has played 29, 29, 8, and 20 minutes.  He has scored 7, 2, 0, and 0 points in those games.  He is getting minutes just not producing.  Jordy has gotten some quality minutes.  In his last 5 games, he has gotten 14, 7, 12, 11, and 9 minutes.  Jordy just has to stop fouling, which takes time.  Horne can score, but in his last 7 games, he is 4 for 17 (23.5%) from 3, while during that same time, Jack is 10 for 23 (43.5%) from 3.  The freshmen will get better.  Look at Morrow last year.  He played 15 minutes per game, averaged 4.1 PPG and 3.3 RPG.  This year, he has played 25 minutes per game, and averages 10.1 PPG, and 7.9 RPG.  Even if you look at his increase minutes, he would only average 7.5 PPG and 6.1 RPG if you go by last year's average.

I am a huge fan of Webster, but is he really our best player, or is he the guy everyone looks to make something happen?  It seems to me he takes a lot of shots for how much he scores.  Having said that, he is going to be difficult to replace, especially in the leadership area.

Roby in his last four games, has played 29, 29, 8, and 20 minutes.  He has scored 7, 2, 0, and 0 points in those games.  He is getting minutes just not producing.  Jordy has gotten some quality minutes.  In his last 5 games, he has gotten 14, 7, 12, 11, and 9 minutes.  Jordy just has to stop fouling, which takes time.  Horne can score, but in his last 7 games, he is 4 for 17 (23.5%) from 3, while during that same time, Jack is 10 for 23 (43.5%) from 3.  The freshmen will get better.  Look at Morrow last year.  He played 15 minutes per game, averaged 4.1 PPG and 3.3 RPG.  This year, he has played 25 minutes per game, and averages 10.1 PPG, and 7.9 RPG.  Even if you look at his increase minutes, he would only average 7.5 PPG and 6.1 RPG if you go by last year's average.

I am a huge fan of Webster, but is he really our best player, or is he the guy everyone looks to make something happen?  It seems to me he takes a lot of shots for how much he scores.  Having said that, he is going to be difficult to replace, especially in the leadership area.

I will entertain the argument that we could be as good next year as this. Hopefully our frontcourt makes huge strides.

But no one seems to be stepping up from a scoring standpoint. Roby Horne Jacobsen Evelyn either miss shots or just don't take them when they are open. Tai, and shields and petteway have taken a lot of shots their last seasons but it's not like anyone else stepped up. And it doesn't seem like we have an offensive identity.