Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

3 hours ago, bigred4 said:

When its to an at best average OSU team at home without one of their top players and a bad Rutgers team, its concerning.  I think he should get next year barring some major collapse (hope that isn't what is happening), because he is bringing in better talent (on paper), but can he coach the better talent is the bigger question?  I think NIT would be important for this team and for Miles, so hope they get back to playing better.

So from the year 2000 thru 2012 I never remember having the thought that we 'should' win a conference road game.  I may be off and somebody can remind me of a conference roadie that they remember expecting to win but in my recollection those games were all losses before the opening tip. My point is that expectations have changed. That is a good thing. These losses are all still losses, but despite his record, this is how Miles has elevated this program. We have a legitimate roster and an expectation to win. 

You can be frustrated but I'll continue to think anyone wanting the fire Miles discussion to be a real thing is a crazy person. If you think the answer is to fire Miles after this season with a stacked roster and a former 5 star transfer coming in you are flat out crazy.

I think the average conference margin last year was something like 1.6 ppg. This year is going to be about the same. That's on average a basket per game from running the table in conference. 18-0. Now, not gonna happen but my point is that if an incredibly young team can do that then there's plenty of reason to believe that that team can learn to win and collect Ws when the majority of that team is a junior/senior. If you just look with your eyes instead of glaring only at the win-loss column then it makes zero sense to blow all this up now.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

I'm confused... Barry Alvarez?  Madison?  What's going on here?

You must read Ron's post. He believes Barry Alvarez is giving Eichorst orders...I'm assuming to sabatoge Nebraska? Of course....if that was the case I don't know why Pelini was ever fired considering Wisconsin was naming the score against him. 

4 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Nope. Tai has turned out to be a great player. Of course, I'm not delusional enough to believe Barry Alvarez is calling the shots from Madison. Coo coo

True or false Bary counseled Perlman on who to hire as AD? True or false SE has a relationship with BA? True or false SE sought advise from BA on who to hire?

8 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Nope. Tai has turned out to be a great player. Of course, I'm not delusional enough to believe Barry Alvarez is calling the shots from Madison. Coo coo

Yep. I 'member debating this topic with you on numerous occasions and you said he would never amount to anything and that Miles should cut bait after his freshman year and then again after his sophomore year.

'member? I do.

33 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Yep. I 'member debating this topic with you on numerous occasions and you said he would never amount to anything and that Miles should cut bait after his freshman year and then again after his sophomore year.

'member? I do.

I don't know what else you want me to say, I was wrong in saying Tai should transfer.  I'm not the first or the last person to be wrong about a player. Hell, our HC didn't even recruit a lottery pick 50 miles down the road. But since you are dodging your original post...Miles fate is determined by...Barry Alvarez? Again. Coo coo

Edited by huskerbaseball13

While it has taken a few years, Miles has now created a solid foundation of talent, better than we've had in a long time.  I think we can all agree on that.  But let's not make them out to be a top 15 recruiting class.  This core group is young, consisting of 4 sophomores and 3 freshman, and while they are a definite upgrade in talent over past years, I can't expect them to already be on the level of, say, Kentucky's freshman and sophomores.  They need development, training and experience, more so than recruits from higher profile teams.  In short, they need time to get better.  The sophomores have certainly shown growth from freshman to sophomore year.  

And some might also point to the fact that MIles surrounded them with more talented transfers, but keep in mind one four-star transfer left the team, and the other is out for the season with an injury.  Now we have a third four-star recruit who has missed that last three games, and was hobbled in the fourth.  And, oh by the way, we've lost the last four games.  We beat Indiana and Maryland on the road.  Every single conference game we've played has gone down to the last minute.  We're going to win again, multiple times.  And, we're going to lose again.  Such is the way it is with a young roster being asked to step up in the wake of losing talent and experience due to injury or transfer.  

And finally, I know everyone is weary of the next year talk, but damn, we will have a complete starting five of 5 & 4 star recruits, with a 4 star coming off the bench.  And the year after that will be basically the same.  Considering the improvements everyone should make from one year to next, we ought to be pretty good.  So regardless of what happens with the rest of this year, I think it would be wrong to say Miles isn't still on a good trajectory towards more conference wins and post season appearances.  

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don't know what else you want me to say, I was wrong in saying Tai should transfer.  I'm not the first or the last person to be wrong about a player. Hell, our HC didn't even recruit a lottery pick 50 miles down the road. But since you are dodging your original post...Miles fate is determined by...Barry Alvarez? Again. Coo coo

Eichorst connection to Alvarez:

" Eichorst, a 1990 graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, previously served as deputy athletics director at the University of Wisconsin-Madison under director of athletics Barry Alvarez."

How Eichorst ended up at U-M:

"The AP adds that among the creditors listed as those who are owed money by Shapiro's company, Capitol Investments, are "former Wisconsin football coach Barry Alvarez, along with members of his family. Alvarez has a close relationship with Shalala, largely from her time at Wisconsin."

Who is Nebraska's biggest competitor in the BIG? Wisconsin.

Why Eichorst left U-M:

"Eichorst's departure comes at a particularly curious time — with the Hurricanes set to play Notre Dame in the rekindling of a college football rivalry on Saturday, and as the school braces to receive potentially crippling NCAA sanctions in the coming months for compliance violations related to a scandal involving former booster and convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro."

Seems that Eichorst, rather than rise to a challenge, runs away from it, or perhaps he was rescued. Who facilitated all this? Alvarez. He recommends his former protege to HP to be the AD for his schools biggest rival in the BIG. 

How did MR end up at NU?

"By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley, whom Eichorst noticed in 2004 as an associate athletic director at South Carolina while the school searched to replace the retiring Lou Holtz. Steve Spurrier got the job, but Eichorst never forgot the Oregon State coach."

Curios since he didn't make anybody's list of potential high end coaches such as Mark Stoops, Pat Narduzzi, Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Craig Bohl, Scott Frost, Brett Bielema, and Al Golden. All coaches are known quantities and in the cases of Bohl, Frost, Bielema and Golden there was either a connection to NU or Eichorst. What about Pat Narduzzi who has a BIG connection. How about rising stars Fuente and Herman. Instead SE picks MR out of obscurity and mediocrity, and that's being generous, from Oregon State. A coach who was on his last leg at Oregon State. 

Things worked out for Barry Alvarez who was at odds with the head coach Gary Andersen.

"Gary Andersen wanted to bring Wisconsin into the 21st Century by changing both the offense and Defense. At the end of the day, Andersen might have tried too much for his boss's liking."

Andersen is from the west coast and low and behold an opening popped up at Oregon State when MR left to take the head coaching job at Nebraska. Alvarez is just lucky I guess. All of this shows that SE will tow the party line allowing giving him a soft place to land upon his return home in a few years when the MR experiment comes has finally plaid itself out.

Edited by Ron Mexico

4 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Eichorst connection to Alvarez:

" Eichorst, a 1990 graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, previously served as deputy athletics director at the University of Wisconsin-Madison under director of athletics Barry Alvarez."

How Eichorst ended up at U-M:

"The AP adds that among the creditors listed as those who are owed money by Shapiro's company, Capitol Investments, are "former Wisconsin football coach Barry Alvarez, along with members of his family. Alvarez has a close relationship with Shalala, largely from her time at Wisconsin."

Who is Nebraska's biggest competitor in the BIG? Wisconsin.

Why Eichorst left U-M:

"Eichorst's departure comes at a particularly curious time — with the Hurricanes set to play Notre Dame in the rekindling of a college football rivalry on Saturday, and as the school braces to receive potentially crippling NCAA sanctions in the coming months for compliance violations related to a scandal involving former booster and convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro."

Seems that Eichorst, rather than rise to a challenge, runs away from it, or perhaps he was rescued. Who facilitated all this? Alvarez. He recommends his former protege to HP to be the AD for his schools biggest rival in the BIG. 

How did MR end up at NU?

"By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley, whom Eichorst noticed in 2004 as an associate athletic director at South Carolina while the school searched to replace the retiring Lou Holtz. Steve Spurrier got the job, but Eichorst never forgot the Oregon State coach."

Curios since he didn't make anybody's list of potential high end coaches such as Mark Stoops, Pat Narduzzi, Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Craig Bohl, Scott Frost, Brett Bielema, and Al Golden. All coaches are known quantities and in the cases of Bohl, Frost, Bielema and Golden there was either a connection to NU or Eichorst. What about Pat Narduzzi who has a BIG connection. How about rising stars Fuente and Herman. Instead SE picks MR out of obscurity and mediocrity, and that's being generous, from Oregon State. A coach who was on his last leg at Oregon State. 

Things worked out for Barry Alvarez who was at odds with the head coach Gary Andersen.

"Gary Andersen wanted to bring Wisconsin into the 21st Century by changing both the offense and Defense. At the end of the day, Andersen might have tried too much for his boss's liking."

Andersen is from the west coast and low and behold an opening popped up at Oregon State when MR left to take the head coaching job at Nebraska. Alvarez is just lucky I guess. All of this shows that SE will tow the party line allowing giving him a soft place to land upon his return home in a few years when the MR experiment comes has finally plaid itself out.

So...Barry Alvarez and Eichorst are friends? That's what I got out the above.  He also recommended him for the Miami job...is Miami a threat to Wiscy? But, I'm not wearing a tin foil hat. I guess we will see what Barry Alvarez does at the end of the year in regards to Miles!  Apparently if Barry keeps Miles...we can assume he thinks that's what's worst for Nebraska. *rolling eyes*.....FYI I really don't have an opinion on Eichorst one way or the other. But it's seriously out there that you believe Alvarez planted Eichorst at NU to sabotage us.  Thanks for the Diaco hire Barry!

Edited by huskerbaseball13

9 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

So from the year 2000 thru 2012 I never remember having the thought that we 'should' win a conference road game.  I may be off and somebody can remind me of a conference roadie that they remember expecting to win but in my recollection those games were all losses before the opening tip. My point is that expectations have changed. That is a good thing. These losses are all still losses, but despite his record, this is how Miles has elevated this program. We have a legitimate roster and an expectation to win. 

You can be frustrated but I'll continue to think anyone wanting the fire Miles discussion to be a real thing is a crazy person. If you think the answer is to fire Miles after this season with a stacked roster and a former 5 star transfer coming in you are flat out crazy.

I think the average conference margin last year was something like 1.6 ppg. This year is going to be about the same. That's on average a basket per game from running the table in conference. 18-0. Now, not gonna happen but my point is that if an incredibly young team can do that then there's plenty of reason to believe that that team can learn to win and collect Ws when the majority of that team is a junior/senior. If you just look with your eyes instead of glaring only at the win-loss column then it makes zero sense to blow all this up now.

The returning roster is the number one reason why I don't think he should get fired.  We lose our best player though.  I think one thing that needs to change is why we are losing so many games at home.

Barry Alvarez is the Manchurian Athletic Director. He was planted on the 1960s Husker teams as a mole to establish credibility and then destroy us in the 21st Century. Bud Wilkinson was the evil genius who devised the plot, but he wouldn't have bothered if he'd known we would go to the Big Ten. No plan is perfect.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

11 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

There must be a lot of crazy people on this board then, They just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel with those blinders on.

17 hours ago, nustudent said:

We were supposed to be better last year.  We weren't.   We were supposed to be better this year.   We aren't.  Wins and losses are what matters 

I would disagree with this.  I think we are clearly better this year than last year.  Record doesn't show it but schedule is much tougher than last year.  Beyond that just watching the team play I think it is clear and that is true despite the loss of what were clearly our two best players on last year's team.

I agree with you that we definitely waited too long to get rid of Sadler.  But that is because we were trending down as a program during his tenure.  We tried to hide that then by making the non-conference schedules easier and easier during that time -but people watching the team could see it.   I think the opposite is true - there have been peaks and valleys in the process but overall the trend has been positive in Mile's tenure.  We caught fire in his 2nd year and overperformed for a stretch which was very exciting and fun -but I think actually set us back the next season - partly because of the unrealistic expectations it created.   While it has not been a smooth path the trend is upward and in that situation I think it is foolhardy to replace the coach and start over.   Patience is a virtue that is missing all too often in todays fans.

In Sadler's last two years, we were losing a bunch of conference games by 30+ points.  It wasn't just the number of losses, it was the fact that those losses were flat out embarrassing due to our talent deficiencies.  There was no hope for improvement and for that reason Doc clearly needed to go.  That is not the same situation that we find ourselves in today.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

In Sadler's last two years, we were losing a bunch of conference games by 30+ points.  It wasn't just the number of losses, it was the fact that those losses were flat out embarrassing due to our talent deficiencies.  There was no hope for improvement and for that reason Doc clearly needed to go.  That is not the same situation that we find ourselves in today.

Valid point.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

agree and just look at the talent sadler left miles. miles basically 6 scholarship guys to work with his first year.

The frustration is that we are in every game.  The frustration is that we seem to be right on the cusp of something big.  The frustration is with the loss of these close games when everyone can recognize that we are only a few plays each game from being really, really good.  The frustration IS NOT with the talent, effort, coaching or lack of a future.  So as frustrated as I am, for as disappointed I am; I know, I really know that our future is bright. 

I am not trying to show a direct correlation, but in 1989-90 our record sucked(10-18), but you could see the talent.  We then won a school-record 26 games, with only eight losses, in 1990-91.  We are soooo very close this year, can next year be the turn around year???

On 1/21/2017 at 5:28 PM, nustudent said:

We were supposed to be better last year.  We weren't.   We were supposed to be better this year.   We aren't.  Wins and losses are what matters 

I'm not sure who said we were going to be better this year.  Every publication out there picked us 13 or 14 in the league.  The only people that might have thought we'd be better were on this board, aka "sunshine pumpers".  We lost our top two scorers from last season and knew we were going to rely heavily on true freshmen.  In the BIG, that's generally a recipe for disaster or at least a recipe for inconsistent play.  We've played against one of the toughest schedules in the country and have been competitive in every BIG game.  Two of the guys we figured we would need to help carry the load this year are injured but we've still been competitive.  The rest of the season will be tough - we are going into the hardest part of our BIG schedule.  Only time will tell how we do as far as W/L record but I'd say this team is already better than last year's team.

Yes, W's & L's are what matters but sometimes those only come when you have a little patience.  I think Miles has earned that regardless of the outcome of the rest of the season.  Only way I would change my mind is if we lost nearly every remaining game and had a bunch of key players depart at the end of the season.