Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

We've never had a roster like we will potentially have next year. We will have talent that goes 12 deep plus Fuller who is a huge hustle and glue guy. So your negativity isn't going to work on me.

Again.  This stuff gets said every year.  Next year there will be an injury and/or unexpected transfer and we'll be making excuses again 

Edited by nustudent

I see signs that this group is close to breaking through, though we may not see the fruit of it until next year (I know, I know...). We've hit the reset button after six years for two guys who never showed any signs of getting the program to the hump, much less over it. Not saying those guys didn't have their good moments, they did, but I believe Miles is close to busting through that glass ceiling. I really do. And, btw, he's taken a team to the NCAA tournament. Here, at Nebraska. He did it. I'm gonna give that guy AT LEAST as long as those other guys got, probably longer. If it's me, I wouldn't be entertaining the idea until this sophomore class are seniors.

Edited by uneblinstu

i'm not going to give him any excuses next year. he has to produce at least an nit team next year, or he's probably gone.

most major conference coaches would probably be fired after 3 losing seasons, but miles has done enough to earn at least 1 extra year IMO.

not to say this will be a losing season, but it is trending that way.

Edited by TimSmiles

Here is basically where I am at. 

I want very badly for Miles to be the guy.   I like him.  I've defended him.   He's brought in talent.   But that talent is not equating to wins on the floor.   I hope he figures this out down the stretch but it looks very very likely that we will have yet another losing season.   3 in a row and 4 in 5.   Despite the added talent, one can not objectively say that the program is headed in the right direction with those types of results.

And yes...there are a lot of pieces in place....that's actually a reason why I'd strongly consider a change.   You'd have a very good foundation for the next coach.  

I don't want us to relive another Sadler situation.   He should have been fired after his 5th season.  But Osborne was stupid.   Gave him a raise and extended him.  Increased our buyout and let our roster further deteriorate.   When we could have had a new coach building the foundation and creating a spark with the new facilities opening up, he kept Sadler around to recruit a bunch of guys who were barely D1 caliber players, let alone P5 caliber.   The scholarship/talent situation we found ourselves in Miles first year impacted us even to last year.   It caused Miles to relay on transfers, piece things together and while it led to a surprising early success in Y2, it was most definitely not the foundation we wanted/needed and it showed up in the following years.  

If things aren't looking good....I don't want to go for one more last ditch effort hoping things remarkably turn around when all signs point otherwise.   Rip the bandaid off and create as good a foundation as possible.   We don't want another dead man walking situation on the recruiting trail.

If the ship is righted and we play .500 ball the rest of the way....I'm all for Miles returning.   But if this ships continues to head down the wrong path and we finish 7-11/6-12 or worse again....then we just may have to come to the realization that the issue isn't the talent.

Edited by nustudent

Just now, hskr4life said:

The Northwestern comparison is a good one I think.

They were supposed to be good... yada yada last year and then had a few good spurts before faltering.

This year... they actually look better than last year.  Same goes for us I bet.

Northwestern won 20 games last year and will be a tourney team this year.

Don't think that is a good comparison.

Just now, nustudent said:

Northwestern won 20 games last year and will be a tourney team this year.

Don't think that is a good comparison.

I don't just look at wins like some people.

We could very easily be 14-5 if we schedule differently and if we schedule differently and do not lose two one pointers we would be 16-3.

So they won 20 games because of an easy schedule.  Whoopdie Doo... 

We will be better next year and should be a tourney team like them.  If last year they played the schedule we did this year, they do not win 20 games.

9 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I don't want us to relive another Sadler situation.   He should have been fired after his 5th season.  But Osborne was stupid.   Gave him a raise and extended him.  Increased our buyout and let our roster further deteriorate.   When we could have had a new coach building the foundation and creating a spark with the new facilities opening up, he kept Sadler around to recruit a bunch of guys who were barely D1 caliber players, let alone P5 caliber.   The scholarship/talent situation we found ourselves in Miles first year impacted us even to last year.   It caused Miles to relay on transfers, piece things together and while it led to a surprising early success in Y2, it was most definitely not the foundation we wanted/needed and it showed up in the following years. 

the difference is that miles got us to the tournament and is recruiting better talent. I'd rather keep miles an extra year than fire him too early.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I don't just look at wins like some people.

We could very easily be 14-5 if we schedule differently and if we schedule differently and do not lose two one pointers we would be 16-3.

So they won 20 games because of an easy schedule.  Whoopdie Doo... 

We will be better next year and should be a tourney team like them.  If last year they played the schedule we did this year, they do not win 20 games.

We played a pretty darn easy schedule last year and Miles still finished under .500. Struggle to win at home, Creighton owns us, offense is stagnant year after year, bad losses.  There are many things not to like. But, considering Miles brought this core in I am okay giving him next year even if we continue to flatline.  Next year should be NCAA or bust.  Who knows what Eichorst is thinking though...I guess we will find out at years end. 

3 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

the difference is that miles got us to the tournament and is recruiting better talent. I'd rather keep miles an extra year than fire him too early.

He did get us tgeee    But again, the supposed improved recruiting isn't paying off.   That's the concern 

Edited by nustudent

6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

We were leading with 0:02 on the clock in both of these losses.  Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem like the time to dust off the pitchforks.

When its to an at best average OSU team at home without one of their top players and a bad Rutgers team, its concerning.  I think he should get next year barring some major collapse (hope that isn't what is happening), because he is bringing in better talent (on paper), but can he coach the better talent is the bigger question?  I think NIT would be important for this team and for Miles, so hope they get back to playing better.

Let's wait until the season is over.  Every game will be a challenge for this team in B1G.  We can compete with every team for a win on a given day except for Purdue.  We just cannot matchup with Purdue.  My hope is the team keeps battling, gets Ed Morrow back, gains some confidence and gets hot at the B1G Tournament!  I am old so I have to be positive and dream a little.

2 hours ago, bigred4 said:

When its to an at best average OSU team at home without one of their top players and a bad Rutgers team, its concerning.  I think he should get next year barring some major collapse (hope that isn't what is happening), because he is bringing in better talent (on paper), but can he coach the better talent is the bigger question?  I think NIT would be important for this team and for Miles, so hope they get back to playing better.

We're also playing without Morrow.  While most people would say Tai is our most irreplaceable player, I actually would say Ed is.  What Tai brings to the table in terms of scoring and slashing can be somewhat replicated by a number of other players on the team.  But Ed, in addition to being that third scorer, is far and away our best rebounder, is the guy who sets the tone defensively, and is one of only two bona fide shot blockers we have.  Put Ed in the paint, and Rutgers doesn't drive the lane with nearly as much success.  And Jordy/Jacobson don't pick up 2 fouls apiece in the first 4 minutes against OSU.  I know it's idle speculation, but with him in the lineup I think we win both by double digits and are sitting at 5-2.  So yeah, even against some of the lesser teams in the B1G, losing by a single point without Morrow is understandable.  If we're in the same position 12 months from now, then I'm OK having the fire Miles debate.

Not implying or alluding to anything. I was just curious to see how we did in "first seven" conference games in prior years. Here's the results:

Year: First Seven Record (Final Conf Record) Final Conf Rank - B1G Tourney Record - NCAA Tourney Record

2012-2013: 1-6 (5-13) 10th - 1-1 in B1G Tourney

2013-2014: 2-5 (11-7) 4th - 0-1 in B1G Tourney - 0-1 in NCAA Tourney

2014-2015: 4-3 (5-13) 12th - 0-1 in B1G Tourney

2015-2016: 4-3 (6-12) 11th - 2-1 in B1G Tourney

2016-2017: 3-4 (TBD)

This means in 2012 we won 4 more games in the final 11, 2013 had 9, 2014 had 1, and 2015 had 2 more wins in the final 11 games.