Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I remember you being a big proponent of Bradley.  And I know you've touted Wingett.  I don't remember you expressing your support of offering Thomas, however.  Not saying you didn't; I just don't remember that, though I remember distinctly reading your support for the other two.

That is true. I may not have posted it on the board, and I don't really care enough to go look it up.

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

David Wingett -- Quietly had 40 points last night. Haven't heard anything recently about his grades/transcripts/eligibility/recruiting. Can't make up my mind on this kid. Part of me wants to go all in and say that people should throw their hand in and gamble on him, but who knows. He reminds me so much of Connor Beranek from Ravenna/UNK. Game wise anyways - what I don't know is if the intangibles match with Connor. And that is not an indictment on David, I just literally do not know how they compare from a mental make-up standpoint. But he's got a nice game, and is all of 6'7" with room to grow and add onto his frame. Has tools to use from the rim to the NBA 3pt line. Lefty, too. He doesn't look like he's ever touched a weight in his life - which I do not like, because it really worries me what happens when he's got S&C coaches breathing down his neck all off-season (makes or breaks a lot of kids at the high D1 level).

I'm obviously all-in on Wingett. I think he's a player you could redshirt for a year and maybe he doesn't play much for his freshman year either, but you get him in that nutrition and strength program and I think you'll see a kid that will be a real gem. If he's gotten all the off the court stuff in order, I think NU should be in on this kid. Not like they don't have the space on the roster.

43 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I'm obviously all-in on Wingett. I think he's a player you could redshirt for a year and maybe he doesn't play much for his freshman year either, but you get him in that nutrition and strength program and I think you'll see a kid that will be a real gem. If he's gotten all the off the court stuff in order, I think NU should be in on this kid. Not like they don't have the space on the roster.

I would work as hard as I could to "Khyri Thomas" him. But, then again, this board would lose their minds and say we'll never be able to recruit a rez kid again ;) 

13 scholarships available...I would think that allocating a couple of scholarships for Nebraska kids would help the program...Now, you have to do your homework and find the kids that will be able to play Division 1...but there are kids almost every year that end up having decent careers at the D1 Level....

Talent evaluaton will be key, but I think you need a local kid to help spur the passion...Can it be done without local kids, sure...but I think it helps your program if you can find those local gems.

And if you are going to only utilize 12 scholarships...there is basically no risk...you aren't using all your scholarships anyway.

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Chuck, respectfully, I think you missed my point.

I do NOT accept the premise that you get to throw out names of recruits after the fact and wag your finger and say "Why didn't Miles offer?"

If you want to play that game, then show me where you or anyone else identified those players as potentially scholarship worthy before they went off to somewhere else and had a good career there.

Norm, respectfully, I think you missed my point. I don't want to throw out individual players and give a thumbs up or thumbs down. People with legitimate talent evaluation skills are not anonymous message board posters.

I'm saying we've gone more than a decade without signing a Nebraska kid out of high school. I'm saying there are a number of Nebraska kids during that who have proven they were good enough to play here, and we didn't sign one of them. That is systemic.

So I'm not saying we should sign Brady Heiman or David Wingett. I'm asking if we are really putting in the effort to evaluate them and other kids around the area. Who's our lead recruiter in this area and do coaches know him? With the OVERALL record of guys from around here who have succeeded and with our signing none of them, I think it's worth questioning what we're doing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2016 at 11:27 PM, Donkey said:

If Miles had another class like 2015 or 2016 coming in for 201), the seat would be a lot cooler. I remember reading articles about Roby, Morrow, and Watson as sophomores. We knew about Horne before his senior year (summer 2015) and had been following Jordy back in the summer of 2014. Akenten, I really don't know much about (which is a bad sign). From what little I know, Akenten strikes me as a spring signee who is a project and can help with depth. There does not seem to be any real targets to round out the 2017 class, and I have no clue who are the realistic  key targets for the 2018 and 2019 classes. Heck, the 2013 and 2014 classes had more buzz than the 2017 class. 

I admit I was very wrong here last month.  Congrats Akenten!

• 2 weeks later...

1.  4-0 with a win over Dayton!  We look good!  Miles done a nice job of recruiting

2.  5-6 with a loss to Gardner Webb... Miles is a terrible coach.  Should we fire the guy?  Losses like this cannot happen!

3.  9-6 with wins over @Maryland, @Indiana, and Iowa.  I knew these guys had it in em.  We have a chance this year guys!

4.  9-10 with losses to Northwestern, @Michigan, Ohio State, and @Northwestern.  I knew it was too good to be true... fire Miles!  Get someone in here that can coach!

If we are sticking with a trend... this thread will die in a few weeks when we put together another helluva run.  (I Hope)

Let me first say that I DON'T think Miles should be fired. Our two best players have either fell or lost the ball in the last 30 seconds on critical plays that both end up costing us. Having said that, what a roller coaster for Miles. Hot seat after Gardner Webb, 3 game win streak to get us and the National media excited, now potential hot seat talk will pry be back in full swing. All I know is that there can't be many fan bases left that have to endure the F'N agony that is Nebrasketball. This f'N sucks so much.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Won't say fire him now

Will say if the season finishes like it looks...that it should be very real conversation.

Troll!!!!!!  In all serious, this is not trending in a good direction for Miles. He may be safe this year but next year is very likely do or die. Most agree we have the talent....the wins need to come soon. Really no reason for this team/program to have multiple seasons under .500. 

4 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Troll!!!!!!  In all serious, this is not trending in a good direction for Miles. He may be safe this year but next year is very likely do or die. Most agree we have the talent....the wins need to come soon. Really no reason for this team/program to have multiple seasons under .500. 

Not saying an under .500 record isn't possible as we do play in the Big 10.  However... we have 9 wins and when a 20 win season is also still possible, there is too much time left to say we will be under .500.

The problem I have with all of this is that would it be automatic that a different coach would have won these last two games if placed in a similar situation?  We are down 2 scholarship guys from where we started this year. Excuse? Sure. The truth? Yes. Is Miles out of excuses? Maybe. The way I see it, the expectations have increased. Which they should, but I don't think there's any way a team in any of our previous regimes would be expected to win two league games down 2 guys. We weren't in the winning conversation before even at full strength. A league game was just a loss going in most of the time. I don't believe in moral victories because they don't count in the W column, but we've now played every single one of our league games within 8 points. It's hard to ignore the competitive nature of this team, look at the makeup of the roster, and be eager to get rid of Miles. That's just me.  Wouldn't make any sense in my opinion. I've watched to much Nebrasketball to just assume that they next guy isn't going to have the same struggles. Some people just assume the next guy is the right answer. 

These last two two games are making things difficult to swallow. Ohio State. Rutgers. Two everyone thinks we should've had. 

Maybe it would be easier to just go back to being blown out.

7 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

The problem I have with all of this is that would it be automatic that a different coach would have won these last two games if placed in a similar situation?  We are down 2 scholarship guys from where we started this year. Excuse? Sure. The truth? Yes. Is Miles out of excuses? Maybe. The way I see it, the expectations have increased. Which they should, but I don't think there's any way a team in any of our previous regimes would be expected to win two league games down 2 guys. We weren't in the winning conversation before even at full strength. A league game was just a loss going in most of the time. I don't believe in moral victories because they don't count in the W column, but we've now played every single one of our league games within 8 points. It's hard to ignore the competitive nature of this team, look at the makeup of the roster, and be eager to get rid of Miles. That's just me.  Wouldn't make any sense in my opinion. I've watched to much Nebrasketball to just assume that they next guy isn't going to have the same struggles. Some people just assume the next guy is the right answer. 

These last two two games are making things difficult to swallow. Ohio State. Rutgers. Two everyone thinks we should've had. 

Very well written.

17 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

I agree with that.  I told myself I wasn't going to watch anymore basketball until Thursday night.  I flipped through the channels and saw Creighton getting blown out at home by Marquette, and decided it would be alright to watch that happen.  Creighton is going to struggle without Mo.  I could see them going in a tailspin for the rest of the season. 

Fire Miles talk is dumb...

We are what we are, and always have been (minus the 90's I guess, still didn't win a tourney game though).  I'm starting to think there isn't a coach on this planet that is going to come in and change the stars of this program.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  The BIG pecking order seems tough to change.

We're lucky to have Tim Miles.  We have a young, athletic roster which, given time, might be the group that wins our first NCAA tourney game. We have a good group of assistant coaches.  If we change coaches again, kids will transfer, roster is gutted, and we start over.  Might as well keep rolling with Miles.  At least he has gotten us to the Tourney already.

As long as Miles doesn't lose the locker room, i.e. Sadler's last team, I just don't see the advantage of changing coaches.

Glad to get that off my chest, thanks HHC.  Good therapy :)

I heard a talk show radio guy talk about Big 10 basketball.  He said that you can win in the conference, but it takes experience and talent.  We have the talent, just need to give them time for the experience to kick in.  It has to turn around sometime, just look at Northwestern this year.  We have probably better talent than them, but they have more experience.  It's why they are doing so well this year.  Just a little more waiting from us die hards should be all we need. 

Yeah, I thought the seat was warmed up after the GW loss, but I don't really feel that way now.  

Having said this, the talent upgrade on the roster (one that will continue to upgrade next season with some very impressive newcomers) means there are absolutely no excuses to not get next year's team to the tournament.  If Miles can't do that, I think he has to go, but I'm seriously pulling for the guy because his recruiting efforts have been incredible during his tenure here.  

I'm looking at the losses with a realistic viewpoint--that they have happened without our all-conference forward in Morrow.  That matters a lot to me.  He's been the difference in several wins this season, and is often our best player on the court--almost always our most intimidating.  

Also, we are now fielding too talented of a roster to really get blown out by anyone, and I don't take that lightly at all.  

Let's see how it shakes out, but man it'd be nice to get to the postseason this year.  It would really, really, help move things in the right direction.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Miles cannot catch a break. Injuries to Gill and Ed are hurting us. Ed is a grown man and we clearly don't have anyone who can replace him. Tai and Glynn look fatigued at the end of games and I gotta belive they'd be playing a few less minutes if Gill was healthy.

Hopefully he gets another year. We'll have a deep talented roster that will be able to withstand injuries next year.