uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 9 - Creighton

uneblinstu

13 hours ago, nerdofalltrades said:

Nebraska Men's athletics has a fractured psyche, it spans 15 years, multiple sports, coaches and AD's, no one in the building from the fans up believe that we can win these types of games or expects us to.  You could see it in the players eye's during the game, you can see it in fan's leaving early in the 2nd half, you could see it in Columbus during warm up's before the Ohio St game it was not going to go well for the football team.

I agree, I feel like Dennis Quade's character in Major League II.  Nebraska men's sports is like a ground hog day that never ends.  I didn't watch much of the Creighton game, I checked in, and wasn't surprised by the score when I did.  Maybe I'm just getting older but I used to be locked in on every possession.  Maybe I'm still being effected by the Iowa football game but its been 15-16 years!  Husker men's sports, bring me back, bring me back.  Maybe this basketball team can do it this year, I dunno.

21 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I tend to agree with you, I think very highly of our young talent. But to play devils advocate, 3 years ago I was saying "Just wait until Hammonds, Hawkins, Pitchford, Smith and Fuller develop, then Creighton is in some real trouble." What remains to be seen is if this staff can develop these guys, and put them in a position to be successful. 

Why would you have ever said that about Hammond, Hawkins, Pitchford, Smith, or Fuller?

Seriously.

Let's start with Smith.  Good player for us, but he was a juco transfer.  There's no waiting for him to develop; he only has 2 years of eligibility.  If you're talking about the other Smith, it's hard to develop a player who has Andrew White's disease.

The best I could find to say about Hammond was that he was tall and better than Sergej Vucetic, which isn't saying much.

Never was impressed with or confident in Nathan Hawkins or his ability to develop.  Had some hopes that Fuller would emerge as a situational shooter but never more than a role player.

And Pitchford?  Well, that topic has been beaten to death and then some.

Give me Jordy, Roby, Jeriah, Ed, Glynn, Michael, and Jack over that group any day.