Creighton (8-0) vs Nebraska (5-3) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

You guys kill me. Oh my god can't believe we didn't beat what will probably be one of Creightons best teams, if not THE best, they've ever had. Wah wah wah let's all cry and fire Miles. Get over yourselves. 

We will be alright. We have young, talented players. The 4 sophomores and Tai are proof that this staff can develop players. Hell even Roby and Jordy are starting to look a lot better just over the past couple games.

If this was any of the last two Creightons then I could understand all the negativity. But this is a legit top 10 team. I don't like it and you don't like it, but it's true. 

We have talent but unfortunately we are young and not the deepest. Creighton has talent but lucky for them they have experience and are deep. 

Once again we will be okay. Roby and Jordy are gonna keep getting better. And I have to believe so will Gill. If that happens we are gonna have a fun Big Ten season.

We will be okay.

14 minutes ago, colhusker said:

We held Creighton to their lowest point total of the year?

Our bench outscored their bench.  That's a positive.  We are going to lose a bunch more games if we go 3-22 from 3.  This team needs to make 3's, if we don't, we're going to be in for long season.  I don't know what we have to do to start making 3's.  If our players have to spend 30 hours a week, just shooting, or what we can do to start hitting 3's.

4 minutes ago, khoock said:

You guys kill me. Oh my god can't believe we didn't beat what will probably be one of Creightons best teams, if not THE best, they've ever had. Wah wah wah let's all cry and fire Miles. Get over yourselves. 

We will be alright. We have young, talented players. The 4 sophomores and Tai are proof that this staff can develop players. Hell even Roby and Jordy are starting to look a lot better just over the past couple games.

If this was any of the last two Creightons then I could understand all the negativity. But this is a legit top 10 team. I don't like it and you don't like it, but it's true. 

We have talent but unfortunately we are young and not the deepest. Creighton has talent but lucky for them they have experience and are deep. 

Once again we will be okay. Roby and Jordy are gonna keep getting better. And I have to believe so will Gill. If that happens we are gonna have a fun Big Ten season.

We will be okay.

This is what happened against the last two creightons????? I've tried to block it out too, but the "bad creightons" have also beat us like a redheaded step child.

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

We will be okay.

Hope you're right but at this point it's wishful thinking. We are a piss poor offensive team and unless Roby or Gill grows up in a hurry we will be fortunate to finish above .500. You can forget about the Creighton game....we have issues that im not sure can be solved this year.

2 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Our bench outscored their bench.  That's a positive.  We are going to lose a bunch more games if we go 3-22 from 3.  This team needs to make 3's, if we don't, we're going to be in for long season.  I don't know what we have to do to start making 3's.  If our players have to spend 30 hours a week, just shooting, or what we can do to start hitting 3's.

Well that is TWO positives

My point is that if we got this same result this year but against a Creighton team that had the talent level of the two previous than I could understand all the negativity. But this is not an NIT or a sub .500 Creighton team, they are a legit Top 10 team!!!

We played them tough for 22 min. Tai's 4th foul was the dagger in our hearts. 

4 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Hope you're right but at this point it's wishful thinking. We are a piss poor offensive team and unless Roby or Gill grows up in a hurry we will be fortunate to finish above .500. You can forget about the Creighton game....we have issues that im not sure can be solved this year.

Our struggles on offense aren't new to this season. I mean we only but up 70 against Marys.

Saturday @ Kansas will  be a struggle. But after that it's two games that will be great opportunity to get Gill/Jordy/ Roby minutes and to the next level before big ten play.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

My point is that if we got this same result this year but against a Creighton team that had the talent level of the two previous than I could understand all the negativity. But this is not an NIT or a sub .500 Creighton team, they are a legit Top 10 team!!!

We played them tough for 22 min. Tai's 4th foul was the dagger in our hearts. 

Yeah I'm overly negative because, like I had mentioned, my phone has been blown up by my CU companions. I like Jordy and Roby, but I also liked Fuller and Pitchford and Hawkins - just gets tiring repeating "Just wait until ___________ develops" 

12 minutes ago, khoock said:

We will be okay.

I'm not upset about the loss.   I made money tonight.   I didn't expect to win.   I'm upset about the how.   Creighton is a damn good team this year.   There's no shame in losing to them.   There is in looking unprepared...AGAIN for them.  

Just now, khoock said:

Our struggles on offense aren't new to this season. I mean we only but up 70 against Marys.

Saturday @ Kansas will  be a struggle. But after that it's two games that will be great opportunity to get Gill/Jordy/ Roby minutes and to the next level before big ten play.

Well yeah, it's been a struggle for 15 years. That's why I don't believe it's changing any time soon. Unfortunately we will be talking about the same thing next year. It's clear Miles believes defense is going to get this program to the next level but at some point you have to put the ball in the hole. 

1 minute ago, khoock said:

And this is what frustrates me, IF we want to win big games or more than we lose, Miles has to figure out how to fix this.  A third of the way into year 5 and it doesn't appear this is the year it will occur.

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I'm not upset about the loss.   I made money tonight.   I didn't expect to win.   I'm upset about the how.   Creighton is a damn good team this year.   There's no shame in losing to them.   There is in looking unprepared...AGAIN for them.  

Five years in Miles still believes "we just have to play our game." Five years later he's 0-5 against them. Assuming he's still around next year, maybe just maybe he tweaks the game plan? Probablt not. 

Miles deserves two more years, barring a dreadful 2017-2018. Lets pump the brakes a bit - the last two guys got six years and took us to zero tournaments. He's had five and taken us to one, and this group certainly won't stay together if he's fired after this year. He needs 1-2 more years after this, period.

With that said, we got pistol whipped by CU and its getting freaking old.

21 minutes ago, nustudent said:

What would you specifically change about the game plan?

We held Foster to 10 pts under his average. This was the first game of the season for both Foster and Patton not being in double figures. We held Khyri Thomas to 7 points on 3-9 shooting.

I'd say we executed our game plan perfectly, defensively at least. I'm sure the goal was to make Watson beat us as he hasn't always been a good or consistent scorer in his career. Unfortunately for us he shot .500 and scored 20.

Offense is a different story but I completely disagree if you are saying we weren't well prepared on defense. Creighton is just has a lot of weapons this season.

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

We held Foster to 10 pts under his average. This was the first game of the season for both Foster and Patton not being in double figures. We held Khyri Thomas to 7 points on 3-9 shooting.

I'd say we executed our game plan perfectly, defensively at least. I'm sure the goal was to make Watson beat us as he hasn't always been a good or consistent scorer in his career. Unfortunately for us he shot .500 and scored 20.

Offense is a different story but I completely disagree if you are saying we weren't well prepared on defense. Creighton is just has a lot of weapons this season.

How about not coming out and digging yourself into a major hole 4 minutes into the game again.   For the game we defended well...but we were bad early.   And it gave them the momentum.   Offensively we were a disaster again.  Roster management was a disaster. 

17 minutes ago, khoock said:

I thought the 1st half we played very well on defense.  The 2nd half, we were terrible on defense.  Mo Watson blew by our guys constantly in the 2nd half.  Creighton shot 61 % in the 2nd half.  They shoot 41 %, like the 1st half, and we hold them to 65 points for the game.

22 minutes ago, nustudent said:

How about not coming out and digging yourself into a major hole 4 minutes into the game again.   For the game we defended well...but we were bad early.   And it gave them the momentum.   Offensively we were a disaster again.  Roster management was a disaster. 

I'm not being a jerk when I ask this, but you say "Don't dig yourself a hole"  Give me specifics on what you would do differently?  From my standpoint we had the pace EXACTLY as we needed it.  We had open shots for a good portion of the night.  Bottom line is guys have to make them.   Doc Sadler had one of my favorite quotes after we upset Indiana one year.  Kent asked him "So what did you do differently with your game plan that made you so successful tonight."  Doc said "We made shots Kent.  I didn't wave a magic wand and change our entire game plan.  We made open shots.  You make shots in basketball, you look good."  And its true.  Basketball is a scoring contest.  I bet we missed 10 shots around the rim tonight.  We went 3-22 on 3's.  And I get that he recruited these players, but in my opinion we have some damn good players on this team.  You make 8-22 tonight, we win the game and everybody is calling Miles a genius.  A coach's job is to do the best he can to put guys in position to be successful.  We held CU way below their average and we had pretty good shots all night long.  Now its up to the guys to put the orange ball in the orange rim.

Simmer down fellas. Hate to tell the skeptics, but barring a implosion of epic proportions, Miles isn't going anywhere. Pains me to say this every time I've said it, the school from Omaha has a damn good team this year. There is no shame in losing to high quality opponent. It stings, yes, but are we really in shock? In the second half, you could definitely tell which team had one senior and which team was unbeaten and in the top 10. Don't lose sleep tonight guys. 

7 hours ago, khoock said:

Did we stop Foster or did the 2 quick fouls and the the third early in the second half  take him out of the game?  Patton I will agree with to a degree although he got into foul trouble too and sat.

12 hours ago, BugeaterZ said:

Sitting next to a Creighton fan who is every bit as  annoying as the stereotype sans the sweater vest. He's also about 6'9" so maybe even a former player. He got less vocal as the first half wound down. I hope he's silent in the second half. 

He wasn't silent, I was. Wore rolled up khakis with argyle socks and a blue pullover with the collar sticking up.

8 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Simmer down fellas. Hate to tell the skeptics, but barring a implosion of epic proportions, Miles isn't going anywhere. Pains me to say this every time I've said it, the school from Omaha has a damn good team this year. There is no shame in losing to high quality opponent. It stings, yes, but are we really in shock? In the second half, you could definitely tell which team had one senior and which team was unbeaten and in the top 10. Don't lose sleep tonight guys. 

You may be right...and I'm not saying the answer is to get rid of Miles either. But, if I'm Coach Miles I'm not feeling great about my future here at Nebraska.  Eichorst didn't fail to extend his contract over the offseason just because.  Remember, Eichorst did not hire Miles.  If Eichorst wants his own guy in here after five years I don't think its going to really surprise anybody.  I don't know what was said behind closed doors in regards to the contract extension...and even with another poor year Miles may get that extension back, but I don't think it's a slam dunk he's still around this time next year. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13