CU Scout

hhcmatt

23 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Haven't had a chance to watch this yet - The Creighton version of the presser

Honestly as much as I hate Creighton, its hard to dislike McDermott. He seems like a stand-up dude, and I'm sure CU fans probably feel the same about Miles. As far as the game goes, I feel like this series has to revert to the mean eventually. Miles/Nebraska has to get one at some point. I would really like it to be this year. 

tumblr_m37go7mT0Z1r9rjs4.gif

2 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

I agree Norm to a degree.  It's no coincidence, certainly an act of proclaiming their fandom.  However, I don't think it's meant to be an A Hole.  

CU was long treated as the red headed Nebraska step child program as a mid major.  Now they are the better program and want to show it off.

It's more like an ethnic family dressing in their native garb at the supermarket or something.  

It's a unclassy move and you as a CU fan would be pissed off if I wore an NU shirt to one of your CU games. It's one of the most insecure fan bases I have ever been around. They will plead and beg for people to think highly of their program. They so desperately want to be loved and respected. And since they have never gone on a long NCAA run (even though if you talk to their fan base they are Final 4 caliber every year) they always come back by saying "Well we have more NCAA wins than Nebraska!" Yep, so does almost every other team in America so what does that say? Hell, why not compare yourselves to your old conference rival in Wichita State? I will tell you why. Because that makes you look stupid and not very good. Instead, you hang your hat on having more NCAA wins than the school that has zero. Bravo I say. Bravo. 

45 minutes ago, bball23 said:

It's a unclassy move and you as a CU fan would be pissed off if I wore an NU shirt to one of your CU games. It's one of the most insecure fan bases I have ever been around. They will plead and beg for people to think highly of their program. They so desperately want to be loved and respected. And since they have never gone on a long NCAA run (even though if you talk to their fan base they are Final 4 caliber every year) they always come back by saying "Well we have more NCAA wins than Nebraska!" Yep, so does almost every other team in America so what does that say? Hell, why not compare yourselves to your old conference rival in Wichita State? I will tell you why. Because that makes you look stupid and not very good. Instead, you hang your hat on having more NCAA wins than the school that has zero. Bravo I say. Bravo. 

Ok, well, I wouldn't mind the success they've had, would you?

I know that this has probably been said, but I am extremely confident in our ability to slow them down and defend, If we could hang with UCLA, and like McDermott said be only down 3 with 8 minutes left, we can slow these guys down. It's all going to come down to if we can score enough points and make big shots. McDermott said after they played Wisconsin that he "knew Hayes and Koenig were gonna do their thing, so you gotta lock those guys down, and make everyone else beat you." I expect Tai and Glynn to of course be the main focus of their defense, and they're gonna force someone else to step up. Anyone have an idea of who could be the key. MJ, Jack, Anton? Creighton has always been a thorn in our side, so of all this years, this would be a fine year for us to return the favor

4 hours ago, 49r said:

I got to thinking and of course this is just me taking the opportunity to virtue signal, and I guess that's just as annoying as anything.  Apologies to the board for that.

@hhcdimes and @atskooc, you both seem like very well adjusted folks.  We could all learn a thing or two from your example.  I'm not judging at all, sorry if I gave off that impression.  Just expressing my POV.

Now back to your regularly scheduled #RoastBeefSandwiches discussion... :)  

Well, I'll wear a white Husker hat to nearly any/every sporting event. And I'll even go so far as to put on my favorite MLB/NBA/NFL team garb to a game (of the same sport, of course), even when *my* team isn't there. It's called being a "fanatic"; I'd venture to guess there are likely no ulterior motives for many others who do similarly. It seems more like a cultural thing at this point, and I agree with the saying: 'to each their own.'

How about the flip side?  Who on Creighton guards who for us?  Do we have any mismatches that we can use to our advantage?

Can Ed (with in the way the game is called) beat the crap out of Patton?  Or does somebody else guard Ed?  Who has Glynn? Tai? MJ? or McV?

Can we be more Physical than they want to be?  I think how this game is called will make a huge difference.  If we are allowed to grind we can stay close and maybe at the end pull it out.

But if they nickle/dime us on the calls we are in for a long, long, long night.  Or are we?  Help me out here.  All I am hearing is how we have to stop them.  How do they stop us?

14 hours ago, 49r said:

Considering how cheap our season tickets are, it's not a huge outlay.

But yeah, they do it.  There's a couple of Jays fans that have season tickets near me in the 100 level.  They regularly wear their CU gear to Big Ten games.  It's frustrating.

That's not just being a dick, that's being a dick in a blue sweater vest — the worst kind.

(And to clarify, the "Jay" in my handle is for "journalism," as in the UNL College of Journalism. Go Big Red.)

Edited by jayschool

20 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

How about the flip side?  Who on Creighton guards who for us?  Do we have any mismatches that we can use to our advantage?

Can Ed (with in the way the game is called) beat the crap out of Patton?  Or does somebody else guard Ed?  Who has Glynn? Tai? MJ? or McV?

Can we be more Physical than they want to be?  I think how this game is called will make a huge difference.  If we are allowed to grind we can stay close and maybe at the end pull it out.

But if they nickle/dime us on the calls we are in for a long, long, long night.  Or are we?  Help me out here.  All I am hearing is how we have to stop them.  How do they stop us?

I honestly don't think they're too concerned with stopping us because their main initiative is to outscore you. Plus with the way we've shot lately I think they're going to play defense on us the same way they did against Wisconsin earlier in the year. Take away the lanes and make us shoot. For matchups tho this is who Creighton will have on us in my opinion...

Mo Watson - Watson

Foster - McVeigh

Thomas (their best defender) - Tai

Huff - Morrow

Patton - Jacobson

The mismatch would be Huff guarding Morrow, but against Wisconsin Creighton doubled the post when they got it down low, which means Ed more than likely kick it out for an open look while they recover. This is the defense I think they'll run. All in all I don't think stopping them is our main concern. Our main concern is if they're giving us wide open looks do we make them? and consistently?

When I say stopping them isn't our main concern I say that because I already know our defense will put pressure on them. Obviously defense is big in this game.

Edited by OmahaHusker

7 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

First of all, we'll see more zone than man. McDermott is a good coach and anyone that has scouted us will see that.  The matchups for them defensively are a moot point.

Comes down to will we hit the three ball or not if we're going to win.  We'll need 48% from field and 40% from three.

Are we capable?  Can Tim coach offense effectively vs. zone?

11 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Honestly as much as I hate Creighton, its hard to dislike McDermott. He seems like a stand-up dude, and I'm sure CU fans probably feel the same about Miles. As far as the game goes, I feel like this series has to revert to the mean eventually. Miles/Nebraska has to get one at some point. I would really like it to be this year. 

Three thoughts:

1. I can see why Mac sent out Watson and Thomas for this week's presser because those guys are two cool customers.

2. Patton is a freshman and this game means a lot to him.  There is something to exploit there.

3. Glad that I don't get the Omaha version of ABC because my goodness is Andy Kendeigh THE WORST.

59 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

First of all, we'll see more zone than man. McDermott is a good coach and anyone that has scouted us will see that.  The matchups for them defensively are a moot point.

Comes down to will we hit the three ball or not if we're going to win.  We'll need 48% from field and 40% from three.

Are we capable?  Can Tim coach offense effectively vs. zone?

Let me correct this for you "McDermott is the greatest coach since John Wooden"

"Tim is the worst coach in America." 

There you go! 

Go back to the Bluejay Board whenever you feel like it.  Now, I know you will come back after this game (IF CU wins) and I know you will bring up the CU game 15 games down the road too. 

Sad life man, sad life.

1 hour ago, Hoops_Legend said:

The only argument I have for this is Creighton hasn't run a zone all year from what I've watched, and they don't specialize in it. I don't know if they'll change their entire defensive scheme just for us.

11 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

The only argument I have for this is Creighton hasn't run a zone all year from what I've watched, and they don't specialize in it. I don't know if they'll change their entire defensive scheme just for us.

They're not going to run this a ton.  However, when they want to try and get stops it's going to come. They'll do the same thing with some non-aggressive pressing.

We ran some pretty good zone offense earlier in the year though I don't recall who it was against. I'd suspect the biggest issue with South Dakota is that we didn't prepare at all before that game for zone and SD exploited us big time on it.  We obviously know we can rotate around for a 3 pt shot so we'll spend a little time re-emphasizing the work it down into the paint part of that offense.  Obviously it made the game close for comfort at one point but Craig Smith did us a big time favor there.

10 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

We can't be afraid to expect wins.  

That's the secret, just expect a win.  If our fans expect a win, we'll beat Kansas in Lawrence Saturday.  I figured it was about players.  Turns out all it's about is the fan base overcoming fear and ratcheting up expectations.   Talent on the floor doesn't matter, it's about intangible psycho-babble concepts.   Drivel, if you will. 

2 minutes ago, HB said:

That's the secret, just expect a win.  If our fans expect a win, we'll beat Kansas in Lawrence Saturday.  I figured it was about players.  Turns out all it's about is the fan base overcoming fear and ratcheting up expectations.   Talent on the floor doesn't matter, it's about intangible psycho-babble concepts.   Drivel, if you will. 

Manifest confidence by preaching that any failure is unacceptable is about as passable for a viable winning mantra as regurgitating a box score and calling it insight. 

5 minutes ago, HB said:

I think @Hoops_Legend would be much happier posting over at HuskerMax (or whatever it's called now), because it seems like there's a lot of his type of folks posting over there.  I have only gone over there a time or two myself but their basketball discussions seem to be pretty base and lack any kind of insight as far as I can tell.  He'd fit in pretty well over there I think.

45 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

They don't have to specialize in it, because we don't specialize in running a zone offense.