uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 8 - South Dakota

uneblinstu

- I'd start by saying that effort isn't gonna get it done starting on Wednesday. They'll get beat by 15 or more. I know at least one coach was pretty upset by that effort. I think they'll start out playing well on Wednesday, they need to do it beyond the under 8 time out of the first half, though. Part of the learning curve for a young team.

- Liked seeing Tai step up to end the USD charge.

- Didn't like that they let them back in the game.

- Didn't like that they matched us in the rebounding column. The 12 Yotes Offensive boards isn't good either.

- Jack is much more comfortable shooting in Pinnacle Bank Arena.

- This was probably the best game we saw from both Jordy and Roby.

- Another solid game from Jacobson, too.

- Good to see the scoring dispersed like it was.

- The whole Coach Miles/Coach Smith thing made for a bit of weird game.

- Hey, UCLA won at Kentucky! That's cool.

- And UNO beat Iowa! That's cooler! Also, illustrates the reason that NU needs not waste their time playing the Mavs.

Edited by uneblinstu

tough but typical filler game. just take the W, be glad McVeigh finally did something, and get ready for the last tough stretch here.

We've lost our share of these games the last few years, so I'll just take the win and move forward.

But if we don't play anything but our absolute best, the Jays are going to obliterate this team.

First five minutes of this game was exceptional.  The last five minutes of the game were okay.  The minutes in between were, at best, helter skelter.  It looks like we were experimenting with something, and the experiment was not very successful.  The starters did okay.  All five in double figures.  MJ had a double-double, Tai was one assist from a double-double.  This was a trap game and we played well enough to win.  SD packed the paint and so our guards meandered around a tad too much on the exterior.  That all said:

* Tai played a nice game.  Distributed the ball as well as he ever has.  Hit some timely shots.  Played decent defense.  MEH

* Glynn had some good moves.  Played defense in streaks.  MEH

* Ed had a monster dunk.  Struggled a bit on the boards.  Hit a couple other nice shots.  MEH

* MJ hit two early three's...but I guess he can't shoot three's, so that must have been a mirage.  MJ had a good game.  Nice double-double.  Good hustle.

* Jack was okay.  Hit a couple three's.  Made one nice move to the rim.  Better, but we need him to be consistent.

* Roby did okay.  Great move to the rim with a monster dunk.  Played better defense.  Looking a bit better but rust is still present.

* Jordy didn't have many minutes, but I thought he did well when he was in.

* Anton, Evan and Jeriah had limited minutes and brought little to the game.

So...a few spectacular plays.  A good start and a necessary win.  In past years we may have lost this game.  When SD brought it to two, we woke up and finished well.  That said, with that start, I was anticipating we would see Nick and the walk-ons in the last five minutes.  Sad thing is, I believe the players may have thought the same thing, and then reality smacked everyone in the face. 

Edited by huskercwg

On fire out of the gate.  Think we were up 24-4 with over 12 minutes left in the first half.  Seems like we coasted the rest of the half.  Kind of sloppy coming out in the second half.   Lots of turnovers and bad shots in the second half which let SD right back in the game.  Made free throws and couple big shots when it mattered.  I absolutely love the progress Morrow and Watson have made since last season.  I feel like Watson could create his own shot every possession.  Jordy was a strong defensive presence once again.  Obviously needs to work on his footwork and coordination.  Solid games from Roby, McVeigh and Jacobson.  Roby's athleticism is ridiculous.  Anton looks lost in the system.  Hope he finds his shot.  

Really need to get contributions from the bench.  The bench was 5-14 from the floor, 0-3 from 3, and 4-4 from the free throw line.  14 pts, 6 reb, 2 ast, 5 to's.  Need much more production from these guys.  Hopefully, the more they play, the comfortable they get.  Roby had a good stat line.  17 min, 8 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast, 1 blk, 1 ste. 

All starters finished in double figures.  9-23 from 3 for 39% is good. 

Defense is still going to carry this team. 

19 assists on 25 makes is fantastic.

15 turnovers against USD is not so good.  Although we did force 18 turnovers.  Have struggled to take care of the ball the last 2 games.

Whether it is the level of competition, or the home court, we seem to shoot better at home. 

2 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

On fire out of the gate.  Think we were up 24-4 with over 12 minutes left in the first half.  Seems like we coasted the rest of the half.  Kind of sloppy coming out in the second half.   Lots of turnovers and bad shots in the second half which let SD right back in the game.

Let me preface by saying I wasn't able to catch this game, but... Isn't this our identity in the nonconference? I can't tell you how many game (actually, yes I can... Dayton, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and apparently this one) where we started off strong but then tapered off and let the opponent get back into the game. I'm not sure if that's just nerves to maintain a lead, but we need to shake those cobwebs out and get some confidence to run the table for a full 40 minute game.

Tai had 7 assists in the first half and 9 for the game.  He should have had probably about 15.  Can't believe the number of guys who wiffed after being set up to score by Tai in the 2nd half.  We should have had 2 guys with double-doubles:  Jacobson on points and boards and Tai on points and assists.

14 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Let me preface by saying I wasn't able to catch this game, but... Isn't this our identity in the nonconference? I can't tell you how many game (actually, yes I can... Dayton, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and apparently this one) where we started off strong but then tapered off and let the opponent get back into the game. I'm not sure if that's just nerves to maintain a lead, but we need to shake those cobwebs out and get some confidence to run the table for a full 40 minute game.

I think it has to do with lack of bench production, then trying to find the early rhythm again later after starters are back and the opponent has adjusted. I don't think it's a mental thing, like nerves, overconfidence or laziness. 

On the bright side, at least Jack made a few shots.  The other 2, Gill and Tayor, no signs of life.  If you can't play well against South Dakota, you can't play well against B10, that's for sure.  It really is time to move on and not lose their minutes to someone else.

I think back to guys on this board like Norm who hyped up Gill as our AW III replacement.  Shook my head then, but now really shaking my head at this misfire.

We need zero wasted minutes on Wed.  First sign the Jack is rattled, need to get the hook out.

2 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

On the bright side, at least Jack made a few shots.  The other 2, Gill and Tayor, no signs of life.  If you can't play well against South Dakota, you can't play well against B10, that's for sure.  It really is time to move on and not lose their minutes to someone else.

I think back to guys on this board like Norm who hyped up Gill as our AW III replacement.  Shook my head then, but now really shaking my head at this misfire.

We need zero wasted minutes on Wed.  First sign the Jack is rattled, need to get the hook out.

How could Jack have scored 16 points in a game we won by 12 unless we played him?

I saw something at the 2:09 mark in the second half of the SD game that I thought I would comment on. SD made a shot and there was an immediate time out.  The time out was whistled by the official who was standing directly in front of Coach Smith.  Coach Smith appeared to be vehemently signaling for that time out.  Normally I would say big whoop.  BUT, given the fact that we know that coaches cannot call time outs (note the Clemson game), how pray tell was that time out called? 

The guy next to me at the game was hating on Jack big time. Begging him NOT to shoot. "Can't make a three if his life depends on it." Shooters shoot. Against Clemson when his confidence was so low he wouldn't shoot was the time to sit him. We are not going to have a successful season if Jack doesn't shoot. I trust he will have some big games for us. At the end of the game I bit my tongue but I wanted to ask the guy next to me, "What's 4 divided by 9?" The answer is 44% and I would love  for Jack to shoot that percentage on the year. 

25 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I saw something at the 2:09 mark in the second half of the SD game that I thought I would comment on. SD made a shot and there was an immediate time out.  The time out was whistled by the official who was standing directly in front of Coach Smith.  Coach Smith appeared to be vehemently signaling for that time out.  Normally I would say big whoop.  BUT, given the fact that we know that coaches cannot call time outs (note the Clemson game), how pray tell was that time out called? 

Rule isn't that coaches can never call timeouts.  Just that coaches can't call timeouts while the ball is in play.

5 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Y'know, I'm perfectly capable of speaking for myself and I don't need you sticking words in my mouth.

You can make your point without making me a part of it.  ...  Or can you?

2 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

Rule isn't that coaches can never call timeouts.  Just that coaches can't call timeouts while the ball is in play.

Okay, I am still a bit confused.  This wasn't a dead ball, the ball was in play, simply in transition from a made basket.  I guess I have to research what "ball in play" means.  To me it if the referee does not have the ball in his hands and the ball isn't "dead" it would be in play.  Hmm.

14 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Okay, I am still a bit confused.  This wasn't a dead ball, the ball was in play, simply in transition from a made basket.  I guess I have to research what "ball in play" means.  To me it if the referee does not have the ball in his hands and the ball isn't "dead" it would be in play.  Hmm.

Okay, I found this and it now makes better sense:

The NCAA altered its timeout rules before the 2015-16 season, making it so coaches could no longer call one in live-ball situations.

The rule was designed to help speed up play and shift the emphasis of the game to the players.

This season, the NCAA has tweaked the rule, allowing coaches to call timeouts in live-ball situations, but only when the team is inbounding the ball.

7 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Maybe Gill would have been up to be AW III's replacement, except he had surgery on his knee and was out for 3 months.  I think it took him until the 3rd week of practice for him to get back to practice.  It could have a little effect.  According to coaches and players, Gill was one of the best players in practice last year. 

I think most people on this board were expecting some struggles from players from time to time.  Some like Jack, struggled to shoot in the Wooden Classic.  Prior to that, he was shooting near 50 %, if not above, from 3 point range.  He was freaked out from shooting against Clemson.  How come you never talk about Glynn getting 2 points against La Tech and Va Tech?