Looking Ahead

Hoops_Legend

I, for one, am not ready to say maybe next year just yet.  That being said we'll win tonight and be faced with the realism that we will need to beat CU or KU to target the bubble, given some sort of conference win expectation below 11.

Best shot is CU.  KU is something like snowballs chance in hell.

So how do we do that?  How do we take back what was once ours?  How do we use CU to erase Clemson/V Tech?

We have home court.  

I've began my study of the matchups and we're going to need to employ a strategy that is unique.  We'll need to out coach them.

Here's what I think Tim needs to do.  Creighton is what we'd dream to be from the field and from three, shouting 46% from downtown.  But, they are not a great FT shooting team, 67%.

This must be exploited.  Specifically we must target Patton, 45% from FT!!!

I suggest that we turn our weaknesses into advantages and play "hack a Shaq" on Patton.  This would add value to the minutes of McVeigh, Gill, Taylor.  We use them to put this guy on the line all night long.  That's 15 fouls to give, enough for both halves, I believe.

I would say this is the edge to really turn this game around and take CU out of their rythem, kill possessions, maybe even force them to bench Patton.

Sometimes you have to employ tactics that aren't obvious, to coach your way to a win.  Exploit their weakness.

I'd say possibly eight each or so if we used this tactic.  Maybe less depends how quickly they foul out.  But I'd be very strategic and obvious about what we're doing.  In other words they bring Patton out of the game, we immediately sub out which ever one is in the game.  They bring him in, we immediately sub in and foul.

Really shake them up.  No minutes for any of the three while Patton is on the bench.

I'd say possibly eight each or so if we used this tactic.  Maybe less depends how quickly they foul out.  But I'd be very strategic and obvious about what we're doing.  In other words they bring Patton out of the game, we immediately sub out which ever one is in the game.  They bring him in, we immediately sub in and foul.

Really shake them up.  No minutes for any of the three while Patton is on the bench.

Damn dude what are you smoking?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

I, for one, am not ready to say maybe next year just yet.  That being said we'll win tonight and be faced with the realism that we will need to beat CU or KU to target the bubble, given some sort of conference win expectation below 11.

So how do we do that?  How do we take back what was once ours?  How do we use CU to erase Clemson/V Tech?

We have home court.  

I've began my study of the matchups and we're going to need to employ a strategy that is unique.  We'll need to out coach them.

Here's what I think Tim needs to do.  Creighton is what we'd dream to be from the field and from three, shouting 46% from downtown.  But, they are not a great FT shooting team, 67%.

I suggest that we turn our weaknesses into advantages and play "hack a Shaq" on Patton.  This would add value to the minutes of McVeigh, Gill, Taylor.  We use them to put this guy on the line all night long.  That's 15 fouls to give, enough for both halves, I believe.

I would say this is the edge to really turn this game around and take CU out of their rythem, kill possessions, maybe even force them to bench Patton.

Sometimes you have to employ tactics that aren't obvious, to coach your way to a win.  Exploit their weakness.

We're only seven games into the season.  A lot of basketball left to play.

The consensus on this strategy is that it rarely works.  Things to consider.  The more we foul, the quicker they come into the double bonus, and then any foul on anyone is a trip to the line.  And while Patton may be a bad FT shooter, the rest of the team is pretty good.  And what do you do if Patton makes most of his FT's?  Also, what if McVeigh, Gill, and/or Evans are playing well?  Do we want them fouling out?  And about messing with CU's rhythm, that goes both ways I would think.  By intentionally putting guys on the foul line, it takes away potential transition offense. 

Hack-a-whoever under a minute?  Yeah, if we need to stop the clock and put a sub-par shooter at the line.  During the course of the game?  Bad idea. 

Good to see you could find the time to start a new thread. 

They crunched the numbers for the NBA. They looked at teams' average points per possession and compared it to the number of points that would be scored if the hackee shot his current FT percentage. There is only one player in the league that the percentages say it is a positive to hack and that's DeAndre Jordan. For the most part that strategy makes for a choppy, ugly game and it rarely pays off for the hackers. Under a minute or end of game in general is a different beast, but it doesn't work as a game strategy. 

If anything the lack of contact drawn by this Creighton team is an advantage to us as defensively we are much more likely to keep it together playing our starting 5 as much as possible and we typically foul without trying to.  You can certainly target Patton to foul in certain situations and/or towards the end but as noted employing this as a primary strategy would be inviting the rest of the team to score more easily from the FT line than they would on the court plus either fouling out the players you want on the court and/or giving up even easier baskets trying to move certain guys into position.  It's somewhat akin to running goal line defense all the time to limit run attempts because winning teams run the ball more.

There is something to being physical with Patton as he's still slight of build and basically making all of his shots. 

Once there lived an astronomer in a town. As we know that astronomers are sky-watchers, he used to go out at night in the open and watch the stars.

One night, he was gazing at the sky closely and the same time moving ahead. He got so much involved in sky-watching that he stumbled against the edge of a dry well and fell into it. He lay there groaning in pain. A man passing by heard his groans and came to the well. He asked the astronomer how he got there. The astronomer told him all that happened.

The man said, "So you were busy looking into the sky without caring where your feet were carrying you on the ground."

"Exactly sir," retorted the astronomer.

"Then you deserve it. Helping you would be a folly." Saying this, the man went away.           

Author Unknown

On 12/3/2016 at 8:40 AM, Hoops_Legend said:

We have home court.  

Worst idea ever!!!  We would get killed if we just put Patton on the line all night.  Give them free points and get most our team in foul trouble.  Brillant

On December 3, 2016 at 11:07 AM, hal9000 said:

The consensus on this strategy is that it rarely works.  Things to consider.  The more we foul, the quicker they come into the double bonus, and then any foul on anyone is a trip to the line.  And while Patton may be a bad FT shooter, the rest of the team is pretty good.  And what do you do if Patton makes most of his FT's?  Also, what if McVeigh, Gill, and/or Evans are playing well?  Do we want them fouling out?  And about messing with CU's rhythm, that goes both ways I would think.  By intentionally putting guys on the foul line, it takes away potential transition offense. 

Hack-a-whoever under a minute?  Yeah, if we need to stop the clock and put a sub-par shooter at the line.  During the course of the game?  Bad idea. 

As I mentioned specifically, 3 designated foul guys, not the whole team.  Force this game into something they don't expect.  Gorilla tactics.  I don't think we can just line up and beat them, unfortunately.

11 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

As I mentioned specifically, 3 designated foul guys, not the whole team.  Force this game into something they don't expect.  Gorilla tactics.  I don't think we can just line up and beat them, unfortunately.

@Silverbacked1 is grumpy that you don't know the proper spelling of guerrilla.

Then again, I suppose it's expected.