South Dakota Scout

MichHusker

Offensively, prepare to see them run a lot of what we do. They will run some continuity ball screen stuff and they will run some dribble weave with occasional ball screens to create driving lanes. They do run a fair amount of sets and on them they are looking to get open looks from 3. So far in their 9 games, they are shooting about 21 3's a game. That is good for a third of their overall shots. On their attempts so far, they are shooting a measly 30.8% with nobody in particular shooting at a good percentage. With that said, their leading scorer Matt Mooney(14ppg) has taken just about half of his 106 shots from behind the arc. If given space he knock down 3's all day on us. A player almost equally important to their offense is 6'7" forward Tyler Flack. He can score from all three levels and loves using his athleticism to get to the rim or pull up from 15ft and in. He is currently shooting 6/12 from downtown and 24/28 from the FT line. The only other player to sort of key on will be PG Trey Dickerson, but as long as we keep him from penetrating he wont kill us from behind the arc. To date, he is shooting 28% from downtown

Defensively, they are gonna sit back and almost dare you to shoot 3's. They will pack it in a bit to negate their lack of athleticism but outside of that they do nothing unique.

Final Thoughts: This is a game we should win rather handily. We are bigger, faster, stronger, and more skilled than they are at every position. As long as we can protect the paint from drives and contest 3's without getting blown by then South Dakota will have a tough time scoring as they don't really do a ton in transition. On the other side of the ball, Even though they pack it in defensively a touch I still believe our guards can have a lot of success driving against these guys. South Dakota's bigs will hedge very softly which will allow Tai and Glynn the ability to attack the big going downhill while the guard is still trying to get over the screen. Outside of that, I would expect our forwards to have a big game too. Ed will be much more physical than anyone that will guard him and Jordy will absolutely have a size advantage when he's in the game. As long as we don't settle for 3's I think we will be very successful.

Makes a lot of sense that Craig would run a similar sort of scheme as Miles and that's what I saw when I looked at the numbers. You can see the lack of assists and the tons of FTs taken that scream dribble drive plus you can see how much better their 2pt defense is vs 3pt defense that screams pack.

At points when we have Jordy in I'd love to see a zone.  I'm not sure how much they bring Jordy in as we might only roll out 1 post player at a time.

As long as we minimize putting them on the line we should win fairly easily as we're essentially playing what we might in practice against less talented players. Would love to get minutes to our current role players so we're ready for those next two games.

28 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Makes a lot of sense that Craig would run a similar sort of scheme as Miles and that's what I saw when I looked at the numbers. You can see the lack of assists and the tons of FTs taken that scream dribble drive plus you can see how much better their 2pt defense is vs 3pt defense that screams pack.

At points when we have Jordy in I'd love to see a zone.  I'm not sure how much they bring Jordy in as we might only roll out 1 post player at a time.

As long as we minimize putting them on the line we should win fairly easily as we're essentially playing what we might in practice against less talented players. Would love to get minutes to our current role players so we're ready for those next two games.

I totally agree Dimes.  This is a good game to start feeding minutes to guys we've decided not to over the past 4 games.  Get the kids we need on Wed experience now.  As much as I hate cupcakes.  We need one right now.  The time has come to figure out the winning rotation.

The other thing here is the sort of nuances I'm not exactly sure that KenPom looks at.

Thus when I look at the teams that beat South Dakota, especially a good Houston team who killed them, I see a bunch of teams who are good 3pt shooting teams.  All of their wins are against teams that don't shoot the 3 well, which currently describes us. With Creighton and Kansas coming up, this actually might be the most likely "oh crap" game of the season.

The more I think about it, the less we see Jordy unless it's a laugher because we don't want to give a team like this FT attempts.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

The other thing here is the sort of nuances I'm not exactly sure that KenPom looks at.

Thus when I look at the teams that beat South Dakota, especially a good Houston team who killed them, I see a bunch of teams who are good 3pt shooting teams.  All of their wins are against teams that don't shoot the 3 well, which currently describes us. With Creighton and Kansas coming up, this actually might be the most likely "oh crap" game of the season.

The more I think about it, the less we see Jordy unless it's a laugher because we don't want to give a team like this FT attempts.

I agree. This a losable game and the priority is to win, not build depth. Play the young guys against Southern and Gardner-Webb, unless they prove they deserve more PT in practice.