Nebraska (4-2) vs. Clemson (3-2) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Just now, Hoops_Legend said:

We really can't afford to wait that long.  Any hopes of tourney and we'll have to beat CU or KU.  We've let 2 go in a row now.  No room to wiggle now.  Unless, you plan on running 11 wins out in conf., we're cooked.

If that's what you're expecting, then you're right. I'm not. I'm seeing a team whose likely ceiling is a borderline NIT bid--not because they can't play better, but because they'll be too inconsistent to beat enough teams in a tough conference.

I tend to focus on what makes a team better in terms other than wins-losses and postseason bids. Those are good, but these guys have more fundamental issues to address first.

4 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Okay you are saying don't play Jack, Gill or Taylor correct?

So then we play Freshman correct?

Which at this time of the year would be like playing 3 on 5 correct?

So I guess it is better to lose by 20 correct?

I maybe be mad we lost but we played hard I like that but that is a moral victory so tht is wrong correct?

Just trying to understand.

No that would be 5 on 5 with more minutes for Jordy-Roby-Horne and less bricks, fouls, and critical travels from Gill-McVeigh-Taylor.  Do me (and you) a favor and take a peak at the shooting percentage of the guys I've been calling for to be benched and what if we had a guy just make a couple more shots instead?

5 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

We really can't afford to wait that long.  Any hopes of tourney and we'll have to beat CU or KU.  We've let 2 go in a row now.  No room to wiggle now.  Unless, you plan on running 11 wins out in conf., we're cooked.

You do understand Jordy has missed multiple bunnies this year and that while I think Roby is going to be a stud, that he is swimming right now right?

1 minute ago, Hoops_Legend said:

No that would be 5 on 5 with more minutes for Jordy-Roby-Horne and less bricks, fouls, and critical travels from Gill-McVeigh-Taylor.  Do me (and you) a favor and take a peak at the shooting percentage of the guys I've been calling for to be benched and what if we had a guy just make a couple more shots instead?

Do you really think that at this point in their careers Jordy, Roby, and Horne aren't going to have bricks, fouls, and turnovers?

19 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

I've been trying to explain that for the past week!  Only to get hammered!

So legit question.  If Miles decides, starting the next game, to start Roby, and have Horne and  Jordy off the bench for a 7 man rotation, with an *occasional* sub of Evan Taylor for the rest of the season.  Gill & McVeigh are garbage time only.  If the three freshman perform as poorly or worse, then what do you suggest?

2 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

um so how does one see into the future and know these things will be true? Just guessing the guys who watch practice know better. 

1 minute ago, hal9000 said:

So legit question.  If Miles decides, starting the next game, to start Roby, and have Horne and  Jordy off the bench for a 7 man rotation, with an *occasional* sub of Evan Taylor for the rest of the season.  Gill & McVeigh are garbage time only.  If the three freshman perform as poorly or worse, then what do you suggest?

If they shoot worse than 2-22 in 3 games, I will eat my words.  

1 minute ago, hal9000 said:

The only important question hoops legend has is if Patton goes pro after this year

9 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

First off let me say that I think Jordy-Roby-Horne are going to be very good for us.  With that said, they get lost on defense quite a bit right now.  As they continue to get better on the defensive end they will get more playing time. 

If I had to guess Hoops Legend, you are the guy at the YMCA that shoots 40 times a game, maybe makes 6-7, but the 7th shot you make is the game winner and you pound your chest about the one make you made, and not about the 30 misses.  On top of that, you never cross half court to play defense and you blame everybody else on your team when you lose.

Am I close?

Bring On the managers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, hal9000 said:

I by no means am saying Gill and McVeigh should get garbage time only but as long as this is the McVeigh we are going to get against good teams I don't see the hurt in giving someone like Horne more minutes.  McVeigh has three made baskets in his last 103 minutes of play....and he is pretty much out there to get buckets and spread the defense.  If Horne and Roby do get more minutes and perform poorly or worse then I think we need to accept this year will be another sub .500 year.  I think Jack will eventually come around though.  Hopefully South Dakota is just what the doctor ordered to get some of his confidence back.   

34 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I by no means am saying Gill and McVeigh should get garbage time only but as long as this is the McVeigh we are going to get against good teams I don't see the hurt in giving someone like Horne more minutes.  McVeigh has three made baskets in his last 103 minutes of play....and he is pretty much out there to get buckets and spread the defense.  If Horne and Roby do get more minutes and perform poorly or worse then I think we need to accept this year will be another sub .500 year.  I think Jack will eventually come around though.  Hopefully South Dakota is just what the doctor ordered to get some of his confidence back.   

I think that's well stated and I can't disagree with any of that.  It seems to come down to a coaching philosophy with Miles.  Note how the freshman get all of their minutes in the first half of games, and barely any in the 2nd.  It seems clear that Miles wants the veterans in at crunch time, and I can certainly see that.  But what do you do when one or more of your starters have been struggling all game, and in fact over multiple games?  For now at least, my interpretation is that Miles feels like even though McVeigh & Gill are struggling, their potential for shooting their way out of their slump is still the safer play vs. the significant inexperience of the freshman.  He also has to consider things like defense, assignments, ball security, being in the right positions on the floor, etc.  I'm not taking a stand either way, just offering my read on the situation. 

There are reasons why the freshmen are not getting more playing time.  I am not sitting on the coaches seat, so I am not privy to the exact reasoning.  But I suggest that the coaches are attempting to do the right thing for the individual players and the team.  Once playing time is warranted and/or earned, we will see much more from them.  Or...the coaches are attempting to force the Huskers to lose by playing the wrong players or the right players at the wrong time.  Hmm.

We have a decision to make with McVeigh.   He's the supposed shooter this team needs.   Either start running some more sets for him, despite his cold streak, to try to get him in rhythm or get Roby more time.   McVeigh doesn't offer a whole lot more than the ability to shoot right now...so if that's why you play him....then do something to try to accent it.

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

We have a decision to make with McVeigh.   He's the supposed shooter this team needs.   Either start running some more sets for him, despite his cold streak, to try to get him in rhythm or get Roby more time.   McVeigh doesn't offer a whole lot more than the ability to shoot right now...so if that's why you play him....then do something to try to accent it.

I agree 100%.  That said, in the first half they ran three sets for him, each time he broke open and he did not shoot the ball.  It is in his head right now and quite frankly, we need him to bust out in the South Dakota game.

By they way, I did get a kick out of one of the announcers last night commenting on his reasoning of why there was a foul disparity.  He said that Clemson was taking it more aggressively off of the dribble.  Are you kidding me?  Was he watching the same game as I was?  When comparing the two teams (and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) we were much more aggressive with the dribble.

Just now, huskercwg said:

By they way, I did get a kick out of one of the announcers last night commenting on his reasoning of why there was a foul disparity.  He said that Clemson was taking it more aggressively off of the dribble.  Are you kidding me?  Was he watching the same game as I was?  When comparing the two teams (and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) we were much more aggressive with the dribble.

I chuckled at that as well.

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

I mentioned that out loud at home and elsewhere last night.