uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 6 - Virginia Tech

uneblinstu

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

You need more from Roby if you have hopes for anything past the regular season.  Giving him 1 minute in the second half isn't enough

He put up 0 points and two fouls (others stats as well) in 11 minutes in the first half. He didn't exactly look great in during that minute in the second half.  While I agree we need significant minutes from him going forward we're talking about a true freshman coming off an injury who still is learning the ropes.  He really didn't look like he was the answer in this game and there still are a lot of games to play.

20 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

He put up 0 points and two fouls (others stats as well) in 11 minutes in the first half. He didn't exactly look great in during that minute in the second half.  While I agree we need significant minutes from him going forward we're talking about a true freshman coming off an injury who still is learning the ropes.  He really didn't look like he was the answer in this game and there still are a lot of games to play.

He had a couple nice passes and is a nice option.   Clearly Taylor and McVeigh weren't going to be offering much offensive spark.   Really don't understand why you can't find him more than one minute.   The Fuller experiment makes it even more frustrating

1 hour ago, cozrulz said:

I'm not impressed with Dayton.  Nah.  I've seen enough of this to know where this team is headed.  Hoping they can beat Creighton at least.

Why are you not impressed by Dayton?  They are an athletic team.  They are well disciplined.  They have a good coach.  Their recent history is excellent.  Prior to the game, most "experts" predicted them to win.  You may be frustrated, you may even have issues with Nebraska basketball and/or Coach Miles; but it is unreasonable (in my opinion)  to provide an opinion that your are not impressed with that team.  By the way, after we beat them, they beat both Portland and New Mexico.  The three teams we played in this tournament have a collective 16-3 record.  Not bad.  But I guess there is no reason to be impressed, nor is there a reason to believe our team grew up a little as a result of this tournament.

Today might've been the worst game I've seen out of MJ. He was missing shots in close and couldn't even get a board. Jack went to Cali coming off a career high and basically fell off a cliff. Anton looked like he had his groove back against Dayton and then was beyond streaky the rest of the trip. Loved what we saw out of Tai and he definitely reaffirmed his leadership status. Glynn looked damn tough against UCLA and then looked lost today. Today's game was brutal  to watch at many times, but definitely a lot of coachable things. Maybe we spent too much time at DisneyLand while VA Tech didn't go there at all. Excited for Clemson though as we look to improve to 1-1 against the ACC. 

9 hours ago, nustudent said:

The Fuller experiment makes it even more frustrating

Here is the full play by play

http://archive.statbroadcast.com/150184.html

Seems like his 3 minutes was to give Jacobson a breather. During that time I think he gave up an easy dunk and we went from the score being 31-31 to being down 36-33.  I can imagine that Miles was looking to either spark something or give MJ a breather.  I hope Fuller was reeeeealy practicing well because otherwise we're talking about a misguided move that didn't work out.

This tournament did nothing to alleviate my confusion about what to expect for this year. Some of the time we looked like an NCAA tourney bubble team and some of the time we looked like we might not be playing in March again. If we finish the rest of our non-conference schedule at .500 as I expect, we may be face the latter prospect, but if we could win 4 or 5 of these last games we should have a good shot at extending our season in March.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

This tournament did nothing to alleviate my confusion about what to expect for this year. Some of the time we looked like an NCAA tourney bubble team and some of the time we looked like we might not be playing in March again. If we finish the rest of our non-conference schedule at .500 as I expect, we may be face the latter prospect, but if we could win 4 or 5 of these last games we should have a good shot at extending our season in March.

7-5 is still worst-case scenario, right? (I know, Incarnate Word, Samford, yada, yada, yada.)

Here's the remainder of the non-conference schedule for Nebrasketball:

B1G/ACC Challenge game at Clemson (Weds, Nov. 30: 8 pm on ESPNU)

South Dakota at home (Sat., Dec. 3 – BTN Plus)

Creighton at home (Weds, Dec. 7: 8 pm on BTN)

At Kansas (Sat., Dec. 10: 2:15 pm on ESPN)

Gardner-Webb at home (Sun., Dec. 18 on ESPNU)

Southern Univ. at home (Tues., Dec. 20 – BTN Plus)

I think it's just me maybe
but does any 1 have anything to say about this teams passing in and out of the post in the half court offense?
I've seen Tai seemingly struggle with this but definitely Tai is the man on this team.
I've seen Morrow also seemingly struggle but with passing out of the post
I know he's a big strong guy and all but a few times I've seen 3,4, even 5 guys on him with no pass.
Another thing, what's with all the yelling Roby rebound when he's defending around the perimeter ?
And if I hear about coach miles Emmy 1 more time.
Evan turner ummm ok why are you shooting and driving to the rim so much???
This whole game I was extremely frustrated
It seemed like they were just tired too me.
3 games in four days is a lot against that caliber of teams
Glynn shot bad but his overall game was good.
Dumbest thing I heard a broadcaster say??
If your that wide open maybe you shouldn't take that shot (he was talking about jack at that moment tho)
All in all I think it was a decent but definitely a frustrating game
I think we'll regroup though
and beat clemson

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, New huskers fan said:

Dumbest thing I heard a broadcaster say??
If your that wide open maybe you shouldn't take that shot (he was talking about jack at that moment tho)

I believe the point he was trying to make is...if you're that wide open, it's because the opponent doesn't respect your shot, probably for a good reason. Therefore, if you're *that* wide open, maybe you shouldn't take the shot.

The flip side of that argument of course is, shooter's gotta shoot.  When he starts second guessing himself is when he's in real trouble.

I didn't agree 100% with the comment either, but I understand the point he was trying to make.

17 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Today might've been the worst game I've seen out of MJ. He was missing shots in close and couldn't even get a board. Jack went to Cali coming off a career high and basically fell off a cliff. Anton looked like he had his groove back against Dayton and then was beyond streaky the rest of the trip. Loved what we saw out of Tai and he definitely reaffirmed his leadership status. Glynn looked damn tough against UCLA and then looked lost today. Today's game was brutal  to watch at many times, but definitely a lot of coachable things. Maybe we spent too much time at DisneyLand while VA Tech didn't go there at all. Excited for Clemson though as we look to improve to 1-1 against the ACC. 

I do think we are more like 3-2 in the ACC Challenge rather than the 0-1 you suggest.

I thought MJ really had some awful shot selection. He was taking too many 3's and off balance long 2's. At one point he caught the ball at the 3 point line following a press break and he immediately shot up a brick from 3 rather than taking it to the rim. i believe it was 2 on 1 with morrow down by the hoop.