Adjustments

Hoops_Legend

I have been impressed with our efforts against Dayton and UCLA.  Lots to be excited about.  Important to recognize the good with the not so good.  We can learn a lot playing good teams, if we're willing to learn.

Here's what we know:

We have a nice guard combo, nice PF and some nice upside with Roby and Jordy.

We have some major holes.  Miles is still playing too many guys to beat teams of UCLA caliber.  We need to get down to 7-8 guys who can score.

By conference time we shouldn't be seeing much McVeigh, Evans, or Gill.  I think that Tim will slowly figure that part out.  You just can't have those type of offensive holes against top competition.

He needs to quickly increase Roby's playing time, get him ready.  

Got s tough stretch coming up.  Let's start the process now.

He needs to get guys minutes period.  I understand getting your numbers down but you can't figure out who they are without them playing. You have so many young guys with little to no experience and a couple transfers that haven't played a D1 game in 2 seasons.  You have to figure out every single situation that works best right now, who can step up, who can play in pressure etc.  

I do think Roby or Horne supplants McVeigh in the starting lineup but he will still get some minutes as he still is one of the best outside shooters on the team.

34 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

We have some major holes.  Miles is still playing too many guys to beat teams of UCLA caliber.  We need to get down to 7-8 guys who can score.

By conference time we shouldn't be seeing much McVeigh, Evans, or Gill.  I think that Tim will slowly figure that part out.  You just can't have those type of offensive holes against top competition.

We have 11 scholarship players. Unless you're advocating for Nick Fuller to be a scorer, you're talking about a seven man rotation as you've eliminated McVeigh, Evan "Evans" Taylor, and Gill. That leaves

Webster

Watson

Morrow

Jacobson

Tshimanga

Roby

Horne

1 hour ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Jack is going to continue to start, he is a good shooter and we need him. Hopefully Horne and Roby get to the point they can step up when Jack is having an off night and provide shooting. Gill is and will probably be hit and miss but can provide instant offense if needed and he is on. Those three have to get more consistent because we need them. Evan has a role when we need defense. Fuller probably is out man out but the rest have roles and hopefully a couple step up so we can have confidence in 8-9 each game

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Jack is going to continue to start, he is a good shooter and we need him. Hopefully Horne and Roby get to the point they can step up when Jack is having an off night and provide shooting. Gill is and will probably be hit and miss but can provide instant offense if needed and he is on. Those three have to get more consistent because we need them. Evan has a role when we need defense. Fuller probably is out man out but the rest have roles and hopefully a couple step up so we can have confidence in 8-9 each game

Hate to say it but I've seen enough of Jack, Gill, Evan to know that they all have too many flaws to see 10+ min in games against quality competition.  Gotta limit lapses of offensive production if we're gonna win.

Hate to say it but I've seen enough of Jack, Gill, Evan to know that they all have too many flaws to see 10+ min in games against quality competition.  Gotta limit lapses of offensive production if we're gonna win.

I think we'll be thankful for each of these guys before the season is over.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

I've read enough from you to know that you have too many flaws in your logic to have a quality discussion. Gotta limit your posts if we want to eliminate lapses in intelegent discourse. 

Sorry about the sarcasm but it's a weakness of mine. I do question your ability to judge talent based on your very limited sample size. If you only watched the first three games, you would think Jack has a chance to be one of the team's top scorers. I'm going to let the guys who schedule the practices continue to make the personnel decisions without second guessing them even before the first month of the season is over. 

48 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I've read enough from you to know that you have too many flaws in your logic to have a quality discussion. Gotta limit your posts if we want to eliminate lapses in intelegent discourse. 

Sorry about the sarcasm but it's a weakness of mine. I do question your ability to judge talent based on your very limited sample size. If you only watched the first three games, you would think Jack has a chance to be one of the team's top scorers. I'm going to let the guys who schedule the practices continue to make the personnel decisions without second guessing them even before the first month of the season is over. 

Its hard for him to watch too many NU games from the Century Link Center. 

Jack McVeigh will be fine.  Jack will have some games where he lights it up for us.  Shooters can be streaky.  Shooters are going to have good games, and bad.  That's who he is.  He may be a tad slow on the defensive end, but usually makes up for it with a high basketball IQ.

Jack's had a rough two-game stretch for sure, but, as others in this thread already said, shooters can be streaky. Jack's better than he's shown in the Wooden. He deserves a chance to break out of his slump.

To highlight this point, "Retirement Plan III" was 1-of-5 on 3-pointers in a Syracuse loss today.

2 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Why start out "hate to say it"...?.    You don't hate it all all.  You love posting that kind of crap.  No need for a phony dilution of what you do on here.  

7 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

I have been impressed with our efforts against Dayton and UCLA.  Lots to be excited about.  Important to recognize the good with the not so good.  We can learn a lot playing good teams, if we're willing to learn.

Here's what we know:

We have a nice guard combo, nice PF and some nice upside with Roby and Jordy.

He needs to quickly increase Roby's playing time, get him ready.  

Got s tough stretch coming up.  Let's start the process now.

A memory stirs ...

Say, Hoops Legend, you wouldn't happen to be a legendary junior high girls hoops coach, would you?

Well, I'd say we've provided a good scouting report to opponents.  Get ready to see zone from here on out.

We are playing way too many guys that are dead weight.  Miles needs to get this straightened out and fast.

McVeigh shouldn't pull another trigger from 3 again until we see the cupcakes.  Gill-Taylor-McVeigh are costing us possessions big time.

well, we've pretty much concluded that this team right now is a whopping 3 deep. Until we find that other two--and also don't take critical games off because our heads are still at Disneyland--we're going to have some problems with solid teams.

Disappointing showing today, which is a shame. This tourney held much more potential. Oh well, the rpi leaves fairly okay, and that's at least a decent consolation prize.

5 minutes ago, tcp said:

well, we've pretty much concluded that this team right now is a whopping 3 deep. Until we find that other two--and also don't take critical games off because our heads are still at Disneyland--we're going to have some problems with solid teams.

Disappointing showing today, which is a shame. This tourney held much more potential. Oh well, the rpi leaves fairly okay, and that's at least a decent consolation prize.

Let's at least get the guys with upside some minutes right now, let them grow.  Continuing to let McVeigh, Taylor, Fuller chew up minutes in lieu of guys like Roby and Jordy just makes no sense to me.  I've seen Tim fall into this trap too many times.  We aren't 10 deep.  We're 7 deep tops.

31 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Let's at least get the guys with upside some minutes right now, let them grow.  Continuing to let McVeigh, Taylor, Fuller chew up minutes in lieu of guys like Roby and Jordy just makes no sense to me.  I've seen Tim fall into this trap too many times.  We aren't 10 deep.  We're 7 deep tops.

No argument  from me. for sure. And I think 7 deep is a bit generous at the moment. I hope we get to that point by the time conference starts, or we're going to have one very exhausted starting rotation.

But if this is going to be a close but no cigar kind of year--which is basically what people were expecting from us going in--then yeah, let's work on the highest upside guys first.

I still have hope for this team as far as competing for an NIT spot. I think they have the talent to do it. But they're going to have to learn fast. And this schedule is not favorable to a young, learning team.