01/19/13 at Penn State Report Card

hhcscott

OFFENSE: B

Shavon Shields (29 points 10/11 90% from the field 8/8 100% from the line) was 42% of Husker offense.

Gallegos contributed 15, Ubel 12, Talley 8, and Rivers 4. That's all 68 points there and 49 out of the 51 shots taken. Hard to win games with only four guys scoring. Andre has to find his touch. The B1G officials are more tolerant of physical play than all the non-conference crews were and we need that inside presence.

DEFENSE: B+

The team seemed to have a little more energy out there, credit to Ray, Shavon and Benny for their harassment of the Penn State guards which led to some nice breakaways and offset our deficit on the boards. I like the four blocked shots, especially Ubel's block, with emphasis, at the end of the game.

REBOUNDING: C-

Second chance points are something this team cannot afford to give up and yet here we are again giving up 11 offensive rebounds. 

BALL HANDLING: B-

After only two turnovers against Purdue, ten was disappointing  especially with six coming from Shavon.  When you are shooting 10/11, giving the ball away like that is just a crying shame. Nice job distributing the ball, especially getting it out in transition.

COACHING: B

Some issues with end of clock situations but it looked to me like we were motivated and engaged from the beginning, unlike a recent game. We also had strong defensive effort and played with energy. 

I think a little emphasis on not fouling the three point shooter is on the practice agenda this week,

OVERALL GRADE: B+

First B1G win for  Coach Miles and the first for the team this season. Winning on the road anywhere in the B1G is a commendable achievement. Time to take the lessons learned against UW, UM, and MSU and make it two in a row,

One (very long) note on the officiating. I understand that blows to the head are a point of emphasis throughout sports and I commend the NCAA and the B1G for looking to protect the players' health.  I know the referees' hands were tied on the elbowing call.  The part that bothers me is, if you are protecting the players then you make the call when it happens, you don't allow play to continue, award two more foul shots plus the "flagrant" fouls shots plus the ball for a flop. No one looking at the video could question that there was contact, but no one looking at the video could honestly assert that there was intent by Ubel or damage to the PSU player.

So in my mind there are a number of things that need to be done to remedy this:

1. Call the foul when it happens or don't call it.

If a truly flagrant foul occurs out of the sight of the referees then the coach should contact the conference and submit the video just as has been done to Nebraska football players in the BigXII and the player can be suspended or warned as the case may require.

2. When a player has both hands on the ball and arms up and a defender comes into body contact with him under those arms CALL THE FOUL ON THE DEFENDER.

The PSU player that received the elbow had both hands on Ubel. Ubel had no place to bring his arms other than where he did. If the referee calls the defensive foul in that circumstance, then no one gets elbowed and no one gets jobbed.

3. If the refs blow a call and the coach wants it reviewed then that coach has to accept that everything that happened after is reset to the point of the foul/violation that should have been called. What happened in this game was not a matter of a correctable error, it was a play that was not called in the run of play and so should not be reviewable except that it is an arbitrary "point of emphasis." Can we request a review of the push off that was called a defensive foul? How about the three traveling calls in the first half that weren't called? Can Coach Miles have those reviewed? Selective use of replay to call fouls after the fact is irresponsible and nearly decided this game and that is not why people watch college basketball. 

PLAYER OF THE GAME: SHAVON SHIELDS 

2012-2013 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

RAY GALLEGOS - 8

DYLAN TALLEY - 3

BRANDON UBEL - 3

SHAVON SHIELDS - 3

DAVID RIVERS - 2

JORDAN TYRANCE - 1

This post has been promoted to an article

In addition to winning today's HHC Player Of The Game award, Shavon has been recognized on ESPN for winning the Capitol One Impact Player Of The Week award this week.  Nicely done Shavon!

Although, I'm sure if you asked him, he'd say the POTG award here is more important to him!  :)

I have a simple solution.  Unless it is an absolute blatent elbow to the head.  Nothing should be called.  I understand protecting players, but I am watching the WSU/Creighton game, and the same thing happened.  The defensive guy gets RIGHT under the offensive player, and again they call a flagrant foul for the defensive player.  It should have been just play on as you are rewarding the defensive player in an obscene way.  It was a turnover for Creighton plus two free throws.