Nebraska (4-0) vs. UCLA (5-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Regardless of the loss and the inability to do anything by jack and Anton, I'm confident in saying we are an NIT team at a minimum. Only Indiana I believe can shoot even remotely close to ucla in conference play. Purdue is gonna be a tough matchup and Michigan state is very athletic. But outside of that...nobody scares me. At all

good learning experience, but these end of game judgment meltdowns are a little unnerving.

had a close game in reach, hit the 2;30 mark, and then proceed to dribble away the entire clock and not even get a shot off. And we went downhill from there.

That's two games in a row, with different players doing weird crap.

On a better note, though, this team has a lot of talent and they're going to surprise a few folks this season. heck, they already have.

1 minute ago, jayschool said:

Watson and Webster: 22 of 40 from the field.

Rest of team: 7 of 35.

Post-game Coach Mo: "We gotta get Roby and Jeriah going, get them in there more. They're long and athletic and they can score."

Roby seems to have the 'look' of several of the UCLA players. Real smooth & athletic, too. Would seem to be an upgrade at a spot or two in the NU lineup.

I'm really happy with this team right now. Things aren't prefect but I think we could have closed on a weaker opponent (Alford was clutch plus some).

Reading through the in game comments it seems we need some consistency in the rotation.

The talent/athleticism is the best I've seen since I've really followed the team in the mid 2000's so I'm all for those who have advocated Miles for at least two more years no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Really proud of these guys.

As has been mentioned, if anybody other than TW or GW steps up we make this game very interesting down the stretch.

There were multiple times during the game where we could have wilted but didn't.

JM and AG need to find their shot.

The game changer was when UCLA switched to zone. We just didn't adjust.

38% from the field.

25% from the 3.

Really proud of these guys.
As has been mentioned, if anybody other than TW or GW steps up we make this game very interesting down the stretch.
There were multiple times during the game where we could have wilted but didn't.
JM and AG need to find their shot.
The game changer was when UCLA switched to zone. We just didn't adjust.
38% from the field.
25% from the 3.

I disagree that we didn't adjust, we just took too long. They switched to zone and pulled away but we clawed back while they stayed in zone. I think Webster could have taken a little more initiative to take control after Ucla went to zone instead of having 3 or so minutes of empty possessions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, nustudent said:

Really cant fault the effort.    Morrow, Webster and Watson were all terrific. 

McVeigh doesn't really offer a lot.   Need to get Roby more minutes and exposure.

Didn't like Turner coming in late.

Couldn't agree more.  Have no idea what he was doing on the floor at that point in the game.  Roby needs to start getting some of Jack's minutes and see who wants to play and contribute more.  It was like playing 4 on 5 with Jack on the floor last night.

9 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Couldn't agree more.  Have no idea what he was doing on the floor at that point in the game.  Roby needs to start getting some of Jack's minutes and see who wants to play and contribute more.  It was like playing 4 on 5 with Jack on the floor last night.

I don't recall but who was Turner covering?  To me it seems he would be more effective against a team that is dominated by a few scorers because taking one of those guys away does damage.  Taking away UCLA's best player, assuming he could/was doing that, leaves you 4 guys who still can kill you. 

FWIW he only played 3 minutes the entire second so its' not like he had significant impact either way.  McVeigh was the only starter who didn't play 16+ minutes in the second half and he clocked in at 13

23 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I don't recall but who was Turner covering?  To me it seems he would be more effective against a team that is dominated by a few scorers because taking one of those guys away does damage.  Taking away UCLA's best player, assuming he could/was doing that, leaves you 4 guys who still can kill you. 

FWIW he only played 3 minutes the entire second so its' not like he had significant impact either way.  McVeigh was the only starter who didn't play 16+ minutes in the second half and he clocked in at 13

It wasn't the amount of minutes he played but rather the point in the game he played them that I didn't like.

• 7 years later...