Jack McVeigh

seaofred92

IMO probably the most important guy on our team to watch over the next few weeks. Jack has done a REALLY nice job so far of playing his role, stretching the floor and making at least 3 pointers a game. This is going to be crucial for us going forward into the meatier part of our schedule. If McVeigh can keep up his outside shooting we have a chance to keep up with the higher scoring and more athletic teams we will be facing. 

McVeigh is also a decently underrated defender and averages 6 rebounds a game so far, tied with Ed Morrow for tops on the team. He's really the ultimate glue guy for us. Stay on the floor and play well and this team's ceiling is much higher than I had anticipated for this season.

This is just a tad off topic. But I'd like to point out the growth of our returning players.

-McVeigh has tripled his scoring and doubled rebounding.

-Morrow has doubled his scoring and rebounding

-Glynn has added a couple points and an assist.

-Jacobson has added a couple rebounds and is averaging almost two assists and blocks per game.

-Tai has added 8 PPG to his scoring average.

I know we haven't played any great competition yet, but these are all the same players who struggled against this level of competition last year (like our current freshmen are this year).

I'd call that solid player development by the coaching staff.

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but it is worth mentioning again.  Jack's offense has been a boost.  But the most significant improvement in Jack is on the defensive end.  He covers well and he is a fantastic communicator on the floor.  He is still not the quickest dude, but he understands positioning and seems to get to the right spot, on time.  If he continues this improvement, we may only see him the remainder of this year and next year.

5 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but it is worth mentioning again.  Jack's offense has been a boost.  But the most significant improvement in Jack is on the defensive end.  He covers well and he is a fantastic communicator on the floor.  He is still not the quickest dude, but he understands positioning and seems to get to the right spot, on time.  If he continues this improvement, we may only see him the remainder of this year and next year.

Good point - it seemed like he spent almost as much time getting chewed out for his defense last season as he did playing. Big turnaround this season.