Rotation

kldm64

I'm curious to see what people think will happen with Nick Fuller once his is healthy again.  It sounds like he was ahead of Jeriah Horne in the rotation prior to getting hurt.  I'll be interested to see if he stays behind Horne after he is healthy again or goes with Horne and Fuller only sees the floor during mop up duty the rest of the season?

Nick's problem is that the justification for having him out there diminishes each year. I see him as the 11th man right now. Any minutes that go to Nick are minutes that could be going to McVeigh, Roby, Horne, Jacobson, etc. I can't imagine that Fuller would be ahead of Horne in the rotation. I'll be surprised if Jeriah isn't in the top two on the team in 3-pt% at the end of the season. 

Fuller's value this season is as a practice player. Just my opinion. 

If you noticed, Jeriah came in at the 4 last night in the 2nd half.  First off the bench, in fact.  Came in for Ed Morrow, I believe.  Was guarding their PF and was playing the 4-man screener role on offense.  He also played some 3.  He's a versatile kid if he can learn what to do in both roles. 

If the rotation shrinks, while I'd love to have a shooting guard off the bench the kind of player I thought Anton Gill was going to be, I don't think he'll be in it.  Instead, right now, put a gun to my head, the next three guys are Evan, Isaiah, and Jeriah (I'm going to call them "Evan and the Old Testament.") 

Nick will have trouble finding minutes.  Good kid, has improved as a player, but there's just too much depth at his spot.  He doesn't have the length and shooting stroke of McVeigh or Roby or Horne, and he doesn't have the athleticism of Ed Morrow or the size of Michael Jacobson. 

Nick is an interesting piece of the puzzle who I believe will definitely play some minutes, especially if ED and MJ get in foul trouble.

I look for him to play at the end of first halves and give fouls when needed. His minutes will be limited but they will be effective. He will be a shot in the arm energy boost off of the bench at times. Som games he might play 10min and so games only 2minutes. His role will be important if we are to have any success this season. His veteran leadership along with that of Tai's will be important this season.

Nick is "That Guy"  all teams have one who works hard in practice, the classroom, is a great team mate and leader even if he isn't getting many minutes.  

Isn't a cancer but enjoys his time here, and is very well repected by everybody involved with the program.  Will get a degree and be a positive influnce in his life. 

He is ready when called to play as needed.  

I will always like and respect and cheer for these type of guys on our team just a bit harder because they are a coaches dream.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If you noticed, Jeriah came in at the 4 last night in the 2nd half.  First off the bench, in fact.  Came in for Ed Morrow, I believe.  Was guarding their PF and was playing the 4-man screener role on offense.  He also played some 3.  He's a versatile kid if he can learn what to do in both roles. 

If the rotation shrinks, while I'd love to have a shooting guard off the bench the kind of player I thought Anton Gill was going to be, I don't think he'll be in it.  Instead, right now, put a gun to my head, the next three guys are Evan, Isaiah, and Jeriah (I'm going to call them "Evan and the Old Testament.") 

Nick will have trouble finding minutes.  Good kid, has improved as a player, but there's just too much depth at his spot.  He doesn't have the length and shooting stroke of McVeigh or Roby or Horne, and he doesn't have the athleticism of Ed Morrow or the size of Michael Jacobson. 

I did notice that and I think, him, Roby, and Jack can effectively play the 4 against most teams on our schedule. I think Roby will be first off the bench, then JH and I hope Gill gets going and is the third guard. I think Jordy gets some minutes as well just to keep improving and depending on match ups.

I like Evan but do not think he brings enough Off or ball handling. I hope he just comes in for Def or give small breathers occasionally if Tai or GW is in foul trouble. However I think you are right and he will be the third guard and Gill gets limited time until/if he gets back in a groove.

32 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Nick is "That Guy"  all teams have one who works hard in practice, the classroom, is a great team mate and leader even if he isn't getting many minutes.  

Isn't a cancer but enjoys his time here, and is very well repected by everybody involved with the program.  Will get a degree and be a positive influnce in his life. 

He is ready when called to play as needed.  

I will always like and respect and cheer for these type of guys on our team just a bit harder because they are a coaches dream.

AMEN!

Coming into the year...I struggled to see Horne getting minutes.   Completely surprised with his skills.   Great shooter.   Good ball handler for a stretch 4.  Not sure I like him a ton on the wing as ball handling and defense could be an issue in big 10 play...but love him in the frontcourt.    He'll get some looks away from the basket against other 4 and 5 men

15 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Understanding that Fuller is the good worker and team player but this is big boy college basketball.   He shouldn't be on the floor unless there is severe foul trouble.

That is what I am saying.  Play him as/if needed.

Edited by Silverbacked1

I thought Jeriah was going to be a PF when he signed.  Nope, the dude reshaped his body and has a good outside game that should get better. 

I am not sure what to think about Nick.  I believe NU hit the nail on the head though, this is Division I basketball.  Playing time must be earned.  I will not be so bold to say Nick cannot earn his playing time, but it won't be gifted to him.  But, a few extra minutes may be gifted to freshmen.  I don't believe I need to explain the difference, but in short you are looking at players who are beginning the journey versus a player who has had a number of opportunities provided to him in past years.

Edited by huskercwg

37 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

The 'Old Testament' on Nebrasketball shall always be Moses Abraham.

Moses was here for one season and averaged 10 min/game in 22 total games.  His contributions were largely forgettable so I'm not sure he gets to have his nickname retired.

Isaiah and Jer(em)iah arrived as freshmen and show the kind of ability that might make for pretty memorable careers here.

They might warrant some nicknames.  Like our current sophomores Mr. Ed and Dr. Watson.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Moses was here for one season and averaged 10 min/game in 22 total games.  His contributions were largely forgettable so I'm not sure he gets to have his nickname retired.

Isaiah and Jer(em)iah arrived as freshmen and show the kind of ability that might make for pretty memorable careers here.

They might warrant some nicknames.  Like our current sophomores Mr. Ed and Dr. Watson.

We'll need to come up with new nicknames for Zay & Jeriah, then.

Moses Abraham is 'Old Testament'; It really doesn't matter if he was a star or a scrub.