Expectations for this year (and Next)/State of the program

PimpMario

I think we have a lot of young talent.  I also think our non con and conference schedules are brutal this year.  I expect that we will struggle this year to remain .500.  I also expect this team should get better physically and mentally as the year progresses.  

In terms of the state of the program I see this as the building year and next year as the year Miles needs to make or run at the NCAA tournament and stabilize this program.  I am willing to accept that this year will be growing pains but I also don't want to hear any excuses if Miles can't get it done these next 2 years.

Does anyone else feel similarly?  

This year we will have our ups and downs because we are a very young team. I'm hoping to see some significant improvement throughout the year that will help us build for next season.  I'm not giving up on this year as I'm really hoping we can surprise some people, but I believe next year will be the make or break year for Tim Miles.  I'm a big Tim Miles fan and I truly believe next year Coach Miles makes Nebrasketball history.

Edited by REDZONEDAN

This year will be a great building year for next year... just like last year... and the year before... and before that... and... well...

But let's stay positive. There's a lot of talent out there. We're a young team, but that doesn't mean we're a weak team. You can flip a coin this year, but I'd rather not know what side it lands on. I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

This year will be a great building year for next year... just like last year... and the year before... and before that... and... well...

But let's stay positive. There's a lot of talent out there. We're a young team, but that doesn't mean we're a weak team. You can flip a coin this year, but I'd rather not know what side it lands on. I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

I'm absolutely giddy over the young talent we have. It's going to be fun watching them grow this year.

I think that we can make the NIT.  I have that as our goal every year.  

But I too think we are better than last year just on the fact that we don't seem to stand around we are running an offense and we are also running when we are able too makes us a bit better.  Don't see this group walking it up and waiting until the 6 sec mark to run something and hope like we often have in the past.

I also (hope) feel that we won't have any of our long scoring droughts that have killed us over the last couple of years.  At least not the long long droughts, everybody goes scoreless for a couple of minutes during a game.

And if we can keep the band together and happy and add one more besides Nana we are looking good for a ouple of years to come.

I think if we make the NIT we could win it in a rout -- because with our schedule making .500 with a lineup this young screams late gelling and a VERY good team next year.

I've got a lot of hope for this group.  I think we've got the right players and i think Miles is the right coach for them.  I'm fighting a little of the husker basketball long-term depression right now where it's hard to really believe -- because it's been a LONG time since we've had this much talent.

if we go .500 or better and bring back every key player but tai (who graduates), i think the future will be bright.

we can't afford to keep letting our best player/s transfer at the end of the season.

at some point miles has to take the blame if that continues to happen.

for us to be good this year, our freshman + gill will have to get a lot better real fast.

Edited by TimSmiles

42 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

if we go .500 or better and bring back every key player but tai (who graduates), i think the future will be bright.

we can't afford to keep letting our best player/s transfer at the end of the season.

at some point miles has to take the blame if that continues to happen.

for us to be good this year, our freshman + gill will have to get a lot better real fast.

Did you happen to see the post in another thread that gave some stats on how our recent transfers are doing at their new schools?  Can't believe we let "0-4" Nathan Hawkins transfer.  Did you notice that 4 freshmen from last year didn't transfer?  Probably our top 4 recruits out of high school since Tai Webster or Shavon Shields, who also didn't transfer.

The only transfers that could have helped this year were White & Smith. Both seem to be doing all right, but I'm glad NU has guys that want to be in Lincoln. NU has a solid nucleus of B1G talent that will be developing, especially under the guidance of a Michael Lewis, for instance, for the great young guards on the roster.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*For clarity*

Next year with Glynn, MJ, Jack, and Ed as juniors, Anton with a year under his belt, Palmer eligible, and this freshman crop as Sophs, throw in Nana as a sneaky sparkplug. The pieces are there to make some noise and make a nice lil run. It may also be the make or break for the Miles regime. We will see flashes of the potential throughout this year. The NIT is attainable in my book and we could do well in it. It's going to be fun to grow up with this team.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Did you happen to see the post in another thread that gave some stats on how our recent transfers are doing at their new schools?  Can't believe we let "0-4" Nathan Hawkins transfer.  Did you notice that 4 freshmen from last year didn't transfer?  Probably our top 4 recruits out of high school since Tai Webster or Shavon Shields, who also didn't transfer.

i was referring to fact that we lost our leading scorer a year earlier than expected the last 2 seasons. Can't afford to let that happen after this year because i personally think we're a year away from being really competitive. I hope i'm wrong.

Edited by TimSmiles

8 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i was referring to fact that we lost our leading scorer a year earlier than expected the last 2 seasons. Can't afford to let that happen after this year because i personally think we're a year away from being really competitive. I hope i'm wrong.

I get it, I understand.  But I'm far more focused on what we have.  I don't think there's anything we could have done about those last two who left early.  Generally speaking, the players who have transferred have been replaced by better players, so it isn't a worrisome deal to me.  And I don't think Miles shows kids the door the way some of our prior coaches have done.

I expect us to finish decent...not NCAA decent..hell I'd be happy with NIT decent..but I still expect us to win more than last year...by 1.  I expect Miles to end his dry spell against Creighton and their coach.  On the other end...I expect KU to lay the Mjolnir (Thor's hammer for those that aren't comic book geeks) on the Huskers...and probably show Coach Miles what 100 point's looks like on the scoreboard. That being said..that one game is probably the one I'm looking forward to watching (on TV sadly) more most of the rest of the season.

I don't know it seems a little too early to be throwing dirt on this season and already putting Miles on the hot seat for next season.

Talent-wise this team is trending upward. It may not reflect it in the record, I have read an blurb recently where Nebrasketball has the toughest B1G schedule and that non-con doesn't look like a slouch either. If they survive all that and end up making the NIT I think there's a possibility they can make some noise. As long as they don't get down on themselves they should be pretty battle hardened. 

43 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

I don't know it seems a little too early to be throwing dirt on this season and already putting Miles on the hot seat for next season.

Talent-wise this team is trending upward. It may not reflect it in the record, I have read an blurb recently where Nebrasketball has the toughest B1G schedule and that non-con doesn't look like a slouch either. If they survive all that and end up making the NIT I think there's a possibility they can make some noise. As long as they don't get down on themselves they should be pretty battle hardened. 

very true. plenty of time to get better this season, but right now it seems like we might be a year away. we'll see.

I obviously understand why Nebraska is projected to finish in the bottom half of the league this year. What I don't understand is why everyone was so eager to rank us below teams like Minnesota and Illinois, both of which were beaten handily by the Huskers last year. 

Edited by Hooper

10 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I obviously understand why Nebraska is projected to finish in the bottom half of the league this year. What I don't understand is why everyone was so eager to rank us below teams like Minnesota and Illinois, both of which were beaten handily by the Huskers last year. 

I think the press is pretty much dead set on the Huskers finishing at or near the bottom every year UNTIL they can prove otherwise. I think it's also going to have to be on a somewhat consistent basis. They need to make post season year after year and not just once in a blue moon.  That being said...I'm going to continue going to the games and enjoy spending time with my dad for a long as I can.  We are at our 39th year of going to Husker Men's games together. 

Seems like we'll have a good idea about what kind of team we have here already by the first of December.

Nana seems like he'll be a good piece for the 2017 class and very well may be highly underrated. We also have only one more scholarship to fill for that class so even with that early signing period finished off we still have plenty of time to find a good to great player.  However, it should be sending off some warning bells that the further we get away from that NCAA tournament run the harder it seems to land highly rated recruits.  The class of 2018 is going to be pivotal and we need to continue to fill with highly rated Watson-Morrow types as well as our may or may not have been overlooked by the scouts.

While we have a lot of talent, it is all unknown talent.

We have some size down low that should help past issues. We have a true point guard who could be elite.

The rest are all question marks. My biggest concern is what we have seen the past with inconsistency and guys disappearing for games at a time. I get guys will have cold streaks but we can't get a 20 point game out of mcVeigh and then see him get 6 minutes in the next 5 games.

Find a lineup you can trust and then do a good job of mixing in guys off the bench.

I think we will finish around 9-10 in the Big Ten. I like not having a guy like white because it forces other guys to step up.

Biggest thing is keeping this team together moving forward so we can make a run in a year or two.... keep guys progressing and keep adding muscle to guys like Morrow and Jacobson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk