Nana Akenten is 'N'

AuroranHusker

• 4 weeks later...

I can't wait to see what we can do with a true 6'6" 2 guard prototype who is a great athlete and a great outside shooter.  

I'm racking my brain right now.  Have we even had one of those at Nebraska?  Serious question.  Pike, maybe?  Though he was probably more of a 3.  Strickland was more of a 1-2 at 6'3".  The 6'6" shooting guard (with actual outside shooting skills and athleticism) is sort of a unicorn.

Actually, Petteway is probably the closest player to that prototype we've ever had.  I totally see Akenten being that kind of player.  

6 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I can't wait to see what we can do with a true 6'6" 2 guard prototype who is a great athlete and a great outside shooter.  

I'm racking my brain right now.  Have we even had one of those at Nebraska?  Serious question.  Pike, maybe?  Though he was probably more of a 3.  Strickland was more of a 1-2 at 6'3".  The 6'6" shooting guard (with actual outside shooting skills and athleticism) is sort of a unicorn.

Actually, Petteway is probably the closest player to that prototype we've ever had.  I totally see Akenten being that kind of player.  

I'll readily admit I've only seen a few minutes of his film.  However, in the bit I have watched, I haven't seen enough ball handling skill to pencil him in as a 2.  I could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, NeeandMe said:

I'll readily admit I've only seen a few minutes of his film.  However, in the bit I have watched, I haven't seen enough ball handling skill to pencil him in as a 2.  I could be wrong.

If I had to gage it, I'd put his handles akin to a Jaron Boone, who was also the 2 prototype body, but never panned out as a shooter.  There are extensive highlights on his hudl page.  Kid is going to see big minutes.  His jumper is gorgeous (though slightly unorthodox)--great elevation, quick and confident release.  I think any ball handling deficiencies he might have are going to completely offset by his outside shooting ability and athleticism.  He's a spot up AND one on one scorer.  Very rare.  

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Boone was a better shooter than Strickland and averaged double figure scoring for his career.  I haven't checked lately but at one time he was in the top 5 or 10 in school history in career scoring.  I believe his 3-point percentage was legit as well.  He was just kind of an asshole.

Kind of?

1 hour ago, jdw said:

He shot it over the backboard from the baseline which is illegal.

And like then, I will argue that any shot within the boundaries should be a legal shot.  It was still sweet.  I believe this is the actual rule/violation:

Section 3. Ball Out of Bounds

Art. 1. A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds.

Art. 2. The ball is out of bounds when any part of the ball passes over the

backboard from any direction.

Edited by huskercwg

2 hours ago, jdw said:

He shot it over the backboard from the baseline which is illegal.

It wasn't really over the backboard. He was far enough towards the corner that he was beyond the backboard  toward the baseline. But the ball never really went over top of the backboard like the rule was intended to prevent. It was a bad call.

Not long after that, another player in another game made a similar shot but even closer to the backboard and it counted and it went in and it was on SportsCenter and it was supposed to be spectacular. Ours got waved off  because it would've given us the win and we were not supposed to win in Oklahoma.

Instead, the game went to a couple of overtimes and we collapsed in the final overtime and lost  by double digits because an Oklahoma point guard went and dunked the ball in the closing seconds as the Nebraska players were walking off the floor. I am still bitter about that one, can you tell? 

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Boone was a better shooter than Strickland and averaged double figure scoring for his career.  I haven't checked lately but at one time he was in the top 5 or 10 in school history in career scoring.  I believe his 3-point percentage was legit as well.  He was just kind of an asshole.

I had to go back and look.  Boone is #7 on the career scoring list.  Finished his career at #5, but got leapfrogged by Shields and Maric.

He's top 10 all-time in career 3 pointers made at DONU (181 made on 501 attempts) with a career 3-pt % of .361, which I would say is a legit shooting percentage.

17 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

And a lockdown defender.

20 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Boone left as the 5th leading scorer (1609 points - 12.7 pg) one spot ahead of Strickland (1586 points 12.5 pg) (according to Husker.com - which I am still checking to see if this is a fake news site).  Looks as if he shot 36.1% from behind the arc while Erik hit at a rate of 34.9% from 3.

2 hours ago, HF_ said:

Anybody remember when Boone came back on that exhibition team and played at Devaney?  Think it was 2003ish.  Embraced a villain role and the crowd booed him a little a bit.  Weird deal.

I do remember that.  Seems like he missed a dunk on one end of the floor and stood there and pouted about it while everyone else ran to the other end of the floor.  I think he got some crap for that.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I do remember that.  Seems like he missed a dunk on one end of the floor and stood there and pouted about it while everyone else ran to the other end of the floor.  I think he got some crap for that.

If that's how he played, he should have scored 92 on us (all but the missing the dunk part).