CUBS WIN - CUBS WIN - CUBS FLIPPIN WIN

Huskerpapa

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest :D

That said, now one of the last sports bucket list items remaining for me relates to a certain Husker basketball team learning to win in the NCAA tournament!!!!

Oh, and did I mention, THE CUBS just won the World Series IN MY LIFETIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to send you a note congratulating you on living long enough to see this.  Congrats.  You're a real Cubs fan who's been in it for the long haul and not a bandwagon jumper, so you deserve to bask in the glory of this one for a few months.  At least until the Cubs are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs sometime next May.  ;)

Congrats to all Cub fans. I actually had no rooting interest in this series and just enjoyed the drama. Lester, Lackey, Ross and Epstein were perfectly counterbalanced by Miller, Napoli, Crisp and Francona. Enjoy this one and realize that future Series wins will be deeply satisfying but never quite the same. And if they become "expected" , then a certain taint of guilt will be associated with the success. I still think the angst surrounding the Red Sox fan base seemed deeper than that of the Cubs which I attribute to a combination of New England pessimism and the many "near misses" but that just may be because I never followed the Cubs. And again I will recommend a book which perfectly summarizes the place baseball occupies in the emotional makeup of long time fans which is "Win it for..." , still the only book I know of which consists of a single thread from a blog site (Son of Sam Horn). Enjoy the buzz, cwg.

Took 108 years but Chicago Cubs win series, 8-7, in a down to the wire, drama-laden, nail-biter. Seven Games, Extra Innings & Rain Delay! Congratualtions Cubs! :Mfclap::Bow::Mfclap:

And I understand Cubs are a young team that bodes well for the future.

Hearya huskercwg.  Next goal is to live long enough to see the Huskers win their first NCAA Tournament game!  :nod:

Edited by Red Don

1 hour ago, Red Don said:
Took 108 years but Chicago Cubs win series, 8-7, in a down to the wire, drama-laden, nail-biter. Seven Games, Extra Innings & Rain Delay! Congratualtions Cubs! :Mfclap::Bow::Mfclap:

And I understand Cubs are a young team that bodes well for the future.

Hearya huskercwg.  Next goal is to live long enough to see the Huskers win their first NCAA Tournament game!  :nod:

That is so right, Red Don.  I desperately wanted those two things to happen in my lifetime.  One has now happened.  Get the other one, and I'll be ready to meet my maker.  Well maybe not quite, but it would be a big friggin' deal.  

I was going to start a thread last night, but I was too much of a basket case to type.  

Edited by HB

1 hour ago, HB said:

That is so right, Red Don.  I desperately wanted those two things to happen in my lifetime.  One has now happened.  Get the other one, and I'll be ready to meet my maker.  Well maybe not quite, but it would be a big friggin' deal.  

I was going to start a thread last night, but I was too much of a basket case to type.  

Like others here, I always thought Husker BB's dismal history compares well with the Cubs organization.  Personally, I don't think the Cub's World Series championship drought of 108 years aligns with Husker's NCAA tourney-win drought.  At least they won one before.  I'd rather compare their drought to our lack of undisputed regular season conference titles.  I know regular season conference championships means less now to the average college hoops fan, but it still is my most coveted prize as a 46 year Husker fan.

So, with that in mind, the last time the Huskers were undisputed conference champions was exactly 100 years ago (as 1916 Missouri Valley champs).  Could this mean we will be undisputed Big Ten champs in 2024?  Can't happen too early - I'll be 63 in the spring of 2024.  Ugh.

Edited by HuskerCager

23 hours ago, HuskerCager said:

So, with that in mind, the last time the Huskers were undisputed conference champions was exactly 100 years ago (as 1916 Missouri Valley champs).  Could this mean we will be undisputed Big Ten champs in 2024?  Can't happen too early - I'll be 63 in the spring of 2024.  Ugh.

jvByC18vgDcLP8HfBlBrsI59U0AAAAASUVORK5CY

If not in 100 years, I'm all for 101 years between conference championships! :nod:

22 hours ago, ShortDust said:

This thread made me smile.  Cubs fan since I was 5. Someone bought me a hat and I wore it a lot. I'm not as old as most suffering fans, but that streak is now broken. The next one on my list hopefully comes much sooner. Gotta get that tourney win! 

The correct phrasing is get THOSE tournament WINS. I want to be alive in week two...and beyond before I die.