Indiana's Assembly Hall

AuroranHusker

• 2 months later...

Crean is such a jackass. Total overreaction to player throwing an alleyoop at the buzzer in a blowout game against Rutgers. Could have handled it afterward, instead delays the handshakes to put on a show to make sure everyone knows he's into "good sportsmanship." 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687223-indiana-coach-tom-crean-goes-nuts-after-players-try-alley-oop-at-buzzer-up-19

18 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Crean is such a jackass. Total overreaction to player throwing an alleyoop at the buzzer in a blowout game against Rutgers. Could have handled it afterward, instead delays the handshakes to put on a show to make sure everyone knows he's into "good sportsmanship." 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687223-indiana-coach-tom-crean-goes-nuts-after-players-try-alley-oop-at-buzzer-up-19

I'm kind of okay with this. Although, like typical Crean fashion, he goes a little overboard.

First off, I agree that Crean is a jacka**.  That said, I respect the fact that he laced into the players involved, and I am sure Rutgers appreciates the fact that Crean was not happy.  The players involved need to get educated about respect and sportsmanship, and I am sure Crean will provide that education.

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

First off, I agree that Crean is a jacka**.  That said, I respect the fact that he laced into the players involved, and I am sure Rutgers appreciates the fact that Crean was not happy.  The players involved need to get educated about respect and sportsmanship, and I am sure Crean will provide that education.

The point is that it can be done without running across the court and screaming at a kid on national tv. He could have apologized to the Rutgers coach immediately and caught the kid afterward. Instead he just put on a show to make himself look good. And throwing up an alley oop at the buzzer isn't some criminal offense, it's just poor sportsmanship.

I do not think he delayed the handshake that much.  I don't mind what he did here.  I am sure the coaches and players from the other team appreciated it rather than getting angry they had to wait an extra 20 seconds to shake hands.

Also, I think it is much more eye opening for the player when it is done on the national stage rather than behind closed doors.

I can certainly see your point though Chuck as it could be seen by some as a little over the top.

• 4 weeks later...

If there is time on the clock...keep playing.

I have no problem with teams continuing to try to score with time left on the clock.

I actually think is less of a sportsman thing to do...to hold the ball at half court and let the last 30 seconds run off the clock.

Play till the end...if we wanted to have the game only be 39:30, we could adjust the clock to make that happen.

The worst part of it wasn't the unnecessary dunk at the end of the game, but rather Tom Crean making it all about himself going out to halfcouft to yell at his own guys in front of all the players on both teams, the fans and TV cameras.  Grandstanding glory-boy that he is...

On 2/17/2017 at 4:54 PM, 49r said:

The worst part of it wasn't the unnecessary dunk at the end of the game, but rather Tom Crean making it all about himself going out to halfcouft to yell at his own guys in front of all the players on both teams, the fans and TV cameras.  Grandstanding glory-boy that he is...

Seems rather fitting that Tom Crean married into the Harbaugh family....