Refresh my memory please

jimmykc

Since things seem a little slow this week I'll start a new thread and see what happens. Since Miles mentioned him in his presser I thought Evan Taylor would make a good subject. Honestly I had forgotten about him and wonder what role he may play this year. Has anyone seen him play or practice this year? Any reason his shooting seemed to fall off in JUCO? He certainly appears more muscular in the team photo to me. Are his ball handling skills good enough to fill in at point if Gill still has physical issues? Will he contribute more than Laws? Feedback anyone?

He will 100% definitely contribute more than Laws, considering Laws is a walk on and played all of like 8 min last year. ET is a big, defense first gaurd (think Benny Parker + 8 inches). I doubt he will provide much scoring for us, but I think he will have a role similar to what Nick Fuller had last year: he'll play in most games but minutes will vary depending on his play, foul trouble, injuries, etc.

ET is long and pretty athletic (he had the fastest time in one of the lateral quickness drills, can't remember which one it was). Plus if you recall, Miles said he is a team first guy who is willing to make the extra pass, set up teammates, and do the dirty work. So he will definitely have a role on the team. Not a huge one. But for sure a lot larger than Malcolm Laws.

We have a lack of guards. Evan is here to provide depth for that, especially if there is some injury or foul trouble. Also, it would seem that he's the sort of player you can stick on the other team's guard who is killing you. However, it doesn't seem like this guy can really shoot much with none of his stats indicating much and all scouting profiles out of high school were "pass first PG"  In other words, he's Benny minus feeling any sort of obligation to start him + can defend teams 1-3s.  When he wasn't overused, BP had value.

Currently our rotation is for sure at 7

Tai 

Anton

Watson

Jacobson

Morrow

McVeigh

Jordy

Your other guys are

Fuller

Roby

Horne

Taylor

Roby is in the rotation when he heals up and potentially is starting at the 3 shortly after.

Horne seems like he's in the mix for the 3 but all comments point to him currently not being in the rotation.

It's great that Fuller is stronger and all that but Jordan Tyrance and BJ Day are proof that being among the strongest players on the team doesn't equate into playing time. I didn't hear Miles mention his shooting or him at all during the presser

Considering how much we need to play our guards I have to think that we're going to start the year with an eight man rotation with Taylor as part of that rotation.  Roby and Horne will have chances to break in and Fuller is going to provide the occasional hustle minutes.

As has been mentioned, he's all defense. There can be a role for that, but he'll see all sorts of wide open looks if he's on the floor, much like Benny did at times. If he scores any points it'll be in transition at the rim after turnovers and such. I wouldn't expect to see him in the regular rotation. If we get into a situation late in games where we're playing offense and defensive possessions or we need to pressure the ball coming up the court, he could be your guy there. Him and Tai on the press will be difficult for opposing teams. Not sure how much we'll see that, though.

If he can be compared to a Big Bennie then he will be a great addition indeed. I hope another comparison which can eventually be made after he finishes here will be as a less offensively minded Lance Jeter.

Benny Parker was all of 5'-8" while Evan Taylor is 6'-5". I like a kid who is willing to do whatever it takes to play winning basketball. I think Evan is that type of player, he'll do all of the small things that add up to winning basketball. We might be surprised at the number of minutes that ET will be counted on this year. He's much better than Malcolm Laws. I would compare him to Ray Gallegos minus the plethora of three-point attempts.

I hope Taylor can shoot a bit, or at least finish at the rim. I think the on/off numbers were pretty damning for Benny as far as offense goes.

It would be great to have a big defender who can hit threes, but his height should make him a more effective passer than Benny was.

I say this all with nothing but love and respect towards Benny Parker, patron saint of hustle.

I guess the other thing the Taylor brings that late pickups like Smith and Bakari didn't is experience and just an overall team mentality.   I think Taylor knows that he's not here to start and he's a team first sort of guy who knows his role is to fill in.

No doubt. There can be tremendous value in that.

I hope Taylor can shoot a bit, or at least finish at the rim. I think the on/off numbers were pretty damning for Benny as far as offense goes.

It would be great to have a big defender who can hit threes, but his height should make him a more effective passer than Benny was.

I say this all with nothing but love and respect towards Benny Parker, patron saint of hustle.

He can probably finish around the rim, but he can't shoot a lick. Just prepare yourself for that now. He's not going to be a 3 point threat unless something changes between now and the time he graduates.

Thanks. Found his JUCO highlight film and original Barfy story and it does appear Evan will play a role here, especially since he likes defense. Seems to be a high character guy too. Couldn't locate anything about why he left Samford though.

I have a vague memory of reading that he was looking to move up and play ball at a higher level. I believe he earned some sort of all freshmen team honors in the conference. hopefully someone here has more concrete information, but I thought I had heard that

From Samford's roster bio:

High School: Chose to attend Samford over interest from West Virginia, South Carolina, Wake Forest and George Washington among a number of additional suitors . . . attended Paul VI High School where he finished his senior season as the top-rated point guard in Virginia and as the seventh-best player in the state according to ESPN . .

Very impressive background...who is this player?

***** enjoyed a storied high school career playing for Coach ***** at **** High School. **** was a four-year starter and set the Big Eight Conference scoring record with 1,940 points, shattering the previous mark of 1,669 points by ******, who played at Marquette and Tennessee. ***** had a pair of 40-point games and scored 30 or more points 15 times during his high school career. He was a two-time ***** State Journal All-Area Boys Basketball Player of the Year and two-time Big Eight Conference Player of the Year. He also grabbed 693 rebounds from his forward spot.

**** was rated by 247Sports as one of the top 150 players in the country and was a consensus three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Scout.com, ESPN and 247Sports.com. He was listed by ESPN as the 21st-best small forward in the country in the class of 2013.

A finalist for Mr. Basketball in **** in 2012-13, **** averaged 25.0 points and 11.2 rebounds per game in leading **** to a 20-4 record and the Cardinals' first conference title in 37 years. A second-team all-state selection, he was part of a talent-rich 2013 senior class which sent nearly 20 players to the Division I ranks. He was a two-time D1 all-state selection by the **** Basketball Coaches Association and a three-time all-state honoree by the Associated Press.

He earned Big Eight Conference Player of the Year and **** State Journal Area Player of the Year for the first time as a junior, when he averaged 23.5 points and 8.2 rebounds per game in helping **** to a 17-8 record and a berth in the 2012 Division I sectional semifinals. He totaled 40 points in a win over **** to help **** earn a runner-up conference finish. A three-time all-conference pick and three-time all-state honoree, **** averaged 18.5 points per game as a sophomore and helped **** to a 19-6 record and a sectional final runner-up. In the summers, he played for the ***** AAU program directed by ****.

He also performed well in the classroom during his career at ****, carrying a 3.5 GPA and making the honor roll all four years at the school. **** selected ***** over ***** and a host of schools, including Marquette, Butler, Colorado and Creighton.

***** enjoyed a storied high school career playing for Coach ***** at **** High School. **** was a four-year starter and set the Big Eight Conference scoring record with 1,940 points, shattering the previous mark of 1,669 points by ******, who played at Marquette and Tennessee. ***** had a pair of 40-point games and scored 30 or more points 15 times during his high school career. He was a two-time ***** State Journal All-Area Boys Basketball Player of the Year and two-time Big Eight Conference Player of the Year. He also grabbed 693 rebounds from his forward spot.

**** was rated by 247Sports as one of the top 150 players in the country and was a consensus three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Scout.com, ESPN and 247Sports.com. He was listed by ESPN as the 21st-best small forward in the country in the class of 2013.

A finalist for Mr. Basketball in **** in 2012-13, **** averaged 25.0 points and 11.2 rebounds per game in leading **** to a 20-4 record and the Cardinals' first conference title in 37 years. A second-team all-state selection, he was part of a talent-rich 2013 senior class which sent nearly 20 players to the Division I ranks. He was a two-time D1 all-state selection by the **** Basketball Coaches Association and a three-time all-state honoree by the Associated Press.

He earned Big Eight Conference Player of the Year and **** State Journal Area Player of the Year for the first time as a junior, when he averaged 23.5 points and 8.2 rebounds per game in helping **** to a 17-8 record and a berth in the 2012 Division I sectional semifinals. He totaled 40 points in a win over **** to help **** earn a runner-up conference finish. A three-time all-conference pick and three-time all-state honoree, **** averaged 18.5 points per game as a sophomore and helped **** to a 19-6 record and a sectional final runner-up. In the summers, he played for the ***** AAU program directed by ****.

He also performed well in the classroom during his career at ****, carrying a 3.5 GPA and making the honor roll all four years at the school. **** selected ***** over ***** and a host of schools, including Marquette, Butler, Colorado and Creighton.

Benny Parker.

^_^

:o

B)

***** enjoyed a storied high school career playing for Coach ***** at **** High School. **** was a four-year starter and set the Big Eight Conference scoring record with 1,940 points, shattering the previous mark of 1,669 points by ******, who played at Marquette and Tennessee. ***** had a pair of 40-point games and scored 30 or more points 15 times during his high school career. He was a two-time ***** State Journal All-Area Boys Basketball Player of the Year and two-time Big Eight Conference Player of the Year. He also grabbed 693 rebounds from his forward spot.

**** was rated by 247Sports as one of the top 150 players in the country and was a consensus three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Scout.com, ESPN and 247Sports.com. He was listed by ESPN as the 21st-best small forward in the country in the class of 2013.

A finalist for Mr. Basketball in **** in 2012-13, **** averaged 25.0 points and 11.2 rebounds per game in leading **** to a 20-4 record and the Cardinals' first conference title in 37 years. A second-team all-state selection, he was part of a talent-rich 2013 senior class which sent nearly 20 players to the Division I ranks. He was a two-time D1 all-state selection by the **** Basketball Coaches Association and a three-time all-state honoree by the Associated Press.

He earned Big Eight Conference Player of the Year and **** State Journal Area Player of the Year for the first time as a junior, when he averaged 23.5 points and 8.2 rebounds per game in helping **** to a 17-8 record and a berth in the 2012 Division I sectional semifinals. He totaled 40 points in a win over **** to help **** earn a runner-up conference finish. A three-time all-conference pick and three-time all-state honoree, **** averaged 18.5 points per game as a sophomore and helped **** to a 19-6 record and a sectional final runner-up. In the summers, he played for the ***** AAU program directed by ****.

He also performed well in the classroom during his career at ****, carrying a 3.5 GPA and making the honor roll all four years at the school. **** selected ***** over ***** and a host of schools, including Marquette, Butler, Colorado and Creighton.

***** enjoyed a storied high school career playing for Coach ***** at **** High School. **** was a four-year starter and set the Big Eight Conference scoring record with 1,940 points, shattering the previous mark of 1,669 points by ******, who played at Marquette and Tennessee. ***** had a pair of 40-point games and scored 30 or more points 15 times during his high school career. He was a two-time ***** State Journal All-Area Boys Basketball Player of the Year and two-time Big Eight Conference Player of the Year. He also grabbed 693 rebounds from his forward spot.

**** was rated by 247Sports as one of the top 150 players in the country and was a consensus three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Scout.com, ESPN and 247Sports.com. He was listed by ESPN as the 21st-best small forward in the country in the class of 2013.

A finalist for Mr. Basketball in **** in 2012-13, **** averaged 25.0 points and 11.2 rebounds per game in leading **** to a 20-4 record and the Cardinals' first conference title in 37 years. A second-team all-state selection, he was part of a talent-rich 2013 senior class which sent nearly 20 players to the Division I ranks. He was a two-time D1 all-state selection by the **** Basketball Coaches Association and a three-time all-state honoree by the Associated Press.

He earned Big Eight Conference Player of the Year and **** State Journal Area Player of the Year for the first time as a junior, when he averaged 23.5 points and 8.2 rebounds per game in helping **** to a 17-8 record and a berth in the 2012 Division I sectional semifinals. He totaled 40 points in a win over **** to help **** earn a runner-up conference finish. A three-time all-conference pick and three-time all-state honoree, **** averaged 18.5 points per game as a sophomore and helped **** to a 19-6 record and a sectional final runner-up. In the summers, he played for the ***** AAU program directed by ****.

He also performed well in the classroom during his career at ****, carrying a 3.5 GPA and making the honor roll all four years at the school. **** selected ***** over ***** and a host of schools, including Marquette, Butler, Colorado and Creighton.

Nick Fuller

D1 athlete for sure, and I think what he lacks in 3pt shooting he makes up for in size (he's a true PG at 6'5") and defense.  I think he'll prove to be a very valuable player.  It'll be like having a slightly less talented Tai out there.  I think we'll have really good perimeter defense this year.  

Nick Fuller

Yup.  Pretty impressive HS resume.