Williams Preseason Presser

hhcmatt

She does seem to have her own way of doing things. Just want's to have a team of good likable teammates that want to do well together....if that wording makes any sense.

Maybe the word is positive...seems pretty positive and wants that to be the venue. Looks like it will be fun going forward.

Horrible for Blackburn. Been going on for a long time apparently, but it's time to get the knee pain fixed. Hope her recovery goes well, and she can get back to the court next summer. We need her toughness

I think it's going to be really interesting to see how this "point guard by committee" works. The four coach was talking about in the above presser have virtually no experience what so ever at this level. We've been used to Lindsey Moore and Rachel Theriot for so long at the point that we haven't had to worry too much over that position. Hopefully one these guards takes this opportunity to step up and and lead the way before to long.

I willingly...will stand corrected, but from what I watched in only a couple of NIT games, South Dakota didn't use a strong point guard to operate the team every time down the floor. Sometimes they did have a "classical" point, but not always. 

They kind of pushed the ball up the floor with any and all the guards as much as they could. It could be the preferred style of play...or kind of the opposite....not have a true point guard consistently strong enough (BBall IQ and skills) to run set plays, or make assists turn into points.

In our case we may not...yet....have a strong, and true point guard that can take over and operate the offense.  Coach seemed to indicate that.

Like has been said already, .... this kind of stuff is what will make the new team interesting to watch early on. Looking forward to it...a lot.

I thought more about the "point guard by committee" quote today and the more I think about it, I think it's probably the best answer the coach can give us right now as she really hasn't had time enough to get a feeling on which players will assert themselves for that spot.

I just think Coach W. and staff don't think the personnel we have fits for what USD ran last season so she's going to try to adjust things here and tweak things there so as to put the team in the best position to give us a chance to where we can win and excel now with the players we do have. And as time goes on they'll revert back to the style of play that she hopes to run here in the long run.  I also think that's why their recruiting efforts are concentrating on getting more guards and wings into the system to run that type of system.  

I'm inclined to believe she will use a point guard this season when one of them proves they can get the job done or at least whittle it down to a pair when the staff finds out more on each players ability. I think the top objective will be to get the ball inside to our bigs when ever possible. If that takes a few games to get under their belt so be it. As far as we know the job could be won in practices leading up to the first game.

I guess I equate the quote "point guard by committee" to when we hear "quarterback by committee" or "running back by committee" and in those last two quotes they're usually attributed to having two quarterbacks or two running backs that both have equal ability to shine at their positions and it's really hard for the coach not to have all of them on the field at the same time. But in this instance it's almost the opposite because this staff isn't sure what they have yet. And from my prospective that's going to be really interesting to see how it all plays out especially if we start racking up the W's!

Agree Row about the back court.

We have some experience at the point...not much though...And many of what could potentially learn the new system are rookies (very good candidates though). There are just a large number of players that makes up the guard picture, and with games only a month or so away it will require a lot of work...players and coaches.

Also so agree that the ball has to go inside to the bigs...especially early on probably...for obvious reasons. Give the back court a little " "crutch"...while the newbies develop...and while the whole team gets into the flow coach wants to see.

I just can't see losing possibly the best three pointer shooter in the Big 10 and having a better three point offense. Just who are these contributors you are pinning your hopes on?

Certainly won't have any one player replace Romeo, but maybe by committee ?

Maybe...maybe Maddie (she was starting to hit 3s last year), Whitish is a pretty good shooter, Grace is a very good 3 shooter, and Emily was getting the long range shot late last year.  Riley hit about 40% 3's last year, and is a good shooter in general.

Probably as a team we'll have more contributors. Hope so... it will free up our game overall.  All is speculation right now...we'll see soon enough.

There were numerous games last year that we lost  where the other team knew that basically Romeo was about our only 3 point threat and defensed her pretty well.  As for who will pick up that slack I think there will be several.  Pick from freshman Jensen, Whitish, Mitchell or Eliely.  Soph Simon or Junior Wood.  Although inexperienced all come in with high shooting percentages from the 3 point line.  We just need several to step up.  

There were numerous games last year that we lost  where the other team knew that basically Romeo was about our only 3 point threat and defensed her pretty well.  As for who will pick up that slack I think there will be several.  Pick from freshman Jensen, Whitish, Mitchell or Eliely.  Soph Simon or Junior Wood.  Although inexperienced all come in with high shooting percentages from the 3 point line.  We just need several to step up.  

Get your butt in the gym!!!!!!!!

Sure is more fun to be optimistic then pessimistic.  GBR

Agree...optimistic for sure.

Sure looks like it will be a hard working group of players and a positive coaching staff. That can lead to great things. No easy task ahead for sure.....but I'll jump on that train and will be watching all the developments with a lot of anticipation.

Most of all, hope the girls and coaches enjoy what their doing, have some fun doing it.

Sure is more fun to be optimistic then pessimistic.  GBR

Agree...optimistic for sure.

Sure looks like it will be a hard working group of players and a positive coaching staff. That can lead to great things. No easy task ahead for sure.....but I'll jump on that train and will be watching all the developments with a lot of anticipation.

Most of all, hope the girls and coaches enjoy what their doing, have some fun doing it.

I'm thinking out loud here, with coach Williams uptempo style will she be recruiting more athletic players or will it be more of the same of what she has.

i can only go by what she did at usd---athleticism seemed to be a priority. granted i only saw a handful of her games on tv each season, but, i always thought the coyotes were one of the better teams that hustle to loose balls and/or could tie a player up. it has been discussed before that coach williams squad could get up and down the floor when the opportunity presented itself. majority of the time, her squads played pretty tough "d".

think it has started to show with the transfers she hooked. i just don't see a change in her philosophy.