2017-18 Husker opponents

EIU should be a nice challenge because they're no cupcake. They bring back a lot of guys and start 3 seniors in addition to the 2 new JUCO guards they brought in.  They also shoot the 3 well.  On the flip side not much height.

The game was at EIU so technically a road game for the Illini. Not an optimal start.

Was 63-52 St John’s with 10 minutes left.  Rutgers with a huge run in the span afterwards.  Something tells me St John’s might be a little easier game.... but certainly not blow them out easy.  Something also tells me Rutgers won’t be blow me out easy this year either.

Dare I say that neither us nor Rutgers finishes last this year?

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Was 63-52 St John’s with 10 minutes left.  Rutgers with a huge run in the span afterwards.  Something tells me St John’s might be a little easier game.... but certainly not blow them out easy.  Something also tells me Rutgers won’t be blow me out easy this year either.

Dare I say that neither us nor Rutgers finishes last this year?

I don't think NU or RU will finish last in the B1G, either.

Exhibition score tonight:

Southern Indiana 95, E Illinois 92

Just a hunch, but we may see a wee bit of offense on both sides Saturday night.

SIU made 16 of 25 3-pt FGs. After being red hot vs Illinois, EIU cooled to 7 of 19 on 3s tonight.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/boxscore.aspx?id=6398&path=mbball

Illinois meltdown in full swing...

To be fair, SIU is a pretty good Division II school, 25-5 a year ago. And they're the Screaming Eagles, so can't go wrong there.

Edited by throwback

Getting started on my season outlook whilst trying to predict our ultimate demise come march, and thought I'd share a bit of work in progress quick "team profiles" I whipped up. Just from first glance. I have no idea which players left, are returning, or are added to any of these teams. Simply their reputations and my experiences with them as a nebrasketeer, of course.

I'd like to hear what you guys think! I'm not sure we'll break 500, as there are only a couple of "bad" teams in the conference, which are improving or on the upswing like us. every win will be earned, but with our talent and athleticism, I think by the end of february (provided our kneecaps aren't taken out with injuries) we could look like some semblance of a team. Really excited for this group, I think I can speak for most of us. :)

profiles.JPG

1 minute ago, Wolv77 said:

Getting started on my season outlook whilst trying to predict our ultimate demise come march, and thought I'd share a bit of work in progress quick "team profiles" I whipped up. Just from first glance. I have no idea which players left, are returning, or are added to any of these teams. Simply their reputations and my experiences with them as a nebrasketeer, of course.

I'd like to hear what you guys think! I'm not sure we'll break 500, as there are only a couple of "bad" teams in the conference, which are improving or on the upswing like us. every win will be earned, but with our talent and athleticism, I think by the end of february (provided our kneecaps aren't taken out with injuries) we could look like some semblance of a team. Really excited for this group, I think I can speak for most of us. :)

profiles.JPG

a better (not fancified), readable one: 

profiles2.JPG

21 hours ago, Wolv77 said:

profiles.JPG

Mine's probably not as thorough or in-depth as yours.

Illinois -- they just fired the guy many here wanted us to hire last time we hired a new coach. Miles be like Keith Richards looking around at all the "hot" coaches who've been fired and he still has a job.  "Haha, MFers.  I'm still here."  Anyway, Illinois.  There's a reason they sucked last year. Probably not all coaching.  Probably same reason they'll continue to suck this year.

Indiana -- hated Crean.  Hated that they fired Crean.  I want someone at Indiana to hate.  Maybe it'll be the new guy.  Anyway, they have the cool, candy-striper warmups.  They might not be too bad this year.

Iowa -- what is wrong with their coach?  I give 'em 3-2 odds he strokes out sometime in the next 5 years.  I remember this line from the movie "Teachers" where the principal is yelling at a male teacher who got a female student knocked up:  "When we said to be a 'team player' we didn't mean to go out and make your own team!"  That's kinda what McCaffrey has done.  His best recruiting strategy appears to be continuing to get his wife pregnant.

Maryland -- their mascot is a turtle.

Michigan -- Crean's brother-in-law is turning them into a basketball school. Hate Crean. Can't stand his brother-in-law.  But Beilein can coach and he has players who can play.

Michigan St -- They have this guy named Izzo. He's not bad.  I guess he's OK.  They'll probably do alright this year.

Minnesota -- I still can't believe their turnaround from 2 years ago to last year. I think it was smoke and mirrors.  I think the real Minnesota showed up for their 1st round NCAA tourney loss to Middle Tennessee Southwest Immaculate Conception State College.  Granted, Middle Tennessee was 30-4 going into it, but still.  There's a long history of the offspring of big name coaches getting jobs based on who their dad is and crashing and burning.  Waiting ...

Northwestern -- NWU. NOT NU.  We're NU. They are MFing NWU.  And that's all I'm going to say about them until they accept the fact that we're NU, not them.

Ohio State -- We have to sweep those douchebags this year.  That's all there is to it.  

Penn State -- Little known fact: Their head coach is the bastard child of R. Lee Ermey, who, like Dean Smith and our very own @jimmykc, was born in Emporia, KS.  That gives him some basketball chops by the associative property of multiplication.  It's still Penn State.  

Purdue -- I mean, what can you say about Purdue?

Rutgers -- New coach.  Not that new.  Same old roster.  Their recruits aren't as good as they think they are.  PG ain't bad.  The juco kid we passed on is decent.  Top 13 conference finish is not out of the cards for them.

Wisconsin -- Their coach is Greg Gard. His middle initial is G. His parents clearly lacked imagination and he is NO Bo Ryan.

Edited by Norm Peterson

17 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Mine's probably not as thorough or in-depth as yours.

Illinois -- they just fired the guy many here wanted us to hire last time we hired a new coach. Miles be like Keith Richards looking around at all the "hot" coaches who've been fired and he still has a job.  "Haha, MFers.  I'm still here."  Anyway, Illinois.  There's a reason they sucked last year. Probably not all coaching.  Probably same reason they'll continue to suck this year.

Indiana -- hated Crean.  Hated that they fired Crean.  I want someone at Indiana to hate.  Maybe it'll be the new guy.  Anyway, they have the cool, candy-striper warmups.  They might not be too bad this year.

Iowa -- what is wrong with their coach?  I give 'em 3-2 odds he strokes out sometime in the next 5 years.  I remember this line from the movie "Teachers" where the principal is yelling at a male teacher who got a female student knocked up:  "When we said to be a 'team player' we didn't mean to go out and make your own team!"  That's kinda what McCaffrey has done.  His best recruiting strategy appears to be continuing to get his wife pregnant.

Maryland -- their mascot is a turtle.

Michigan -- Crean's brother-in-law is turning them into a basketball school. Hate Crean. Can't stand his brother-in-law.  But Beilein can coach and he has players who can play.

Michigan St -- They have this guy named Izzo. He's not bad.  I guess he's OK.  They'll probably do alright this year.

Minnesota -- I still can't believe their turnaround from 2 years ago to last year. I think it was smoke and mirrors.  I think the real Minnesota showed up for their 1st round NCAA tourney loss to Middle Tennessee Southwest Immaculate Conception State College.  Granted, Middle Tennessee was 30-4 going into it, but still.  There's a long history of the offspring of big name coaches getting jobs based on who their dad is and crashing and burning.  Waiting ...

Northwestern -- NWU. NOT NU.  We're NU. They are MFing NWU.  And that's all I'm going to say about them until they accept the fact that we're NU, not them.

Ohio State -- We have to sweep those douchebags this year.  That's all there is to it.  

Penn State -- Little known fact: Their head coach is the bastard child of R. Lee Ermey, who, like Dean Smith and our very own @jimmykc, was born in Emporia, KS.  That gives him some basketball chops by the associative property of multiplication.  It's still Penn State.  

Purdue -- I mean, what can you say about Purdue?

Rutgers -- New coach.  Not that new.  Same old roster.  They're recruits aren't as good as they think they are.  PG ain't bad.  The juco kid we passed on is decent.  Top 13 conference finish is not out of the cards for them.

Wisconsin -- Their coach is Greg Gard. His middle initial is G. His parents clearly lacked imagination and he is NO Bo Ryan.

This.... This is what I needed to make informed decisions.  Nebraska is going to run the table according to this.  I like!

23 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Fellas. We play 4 games in the next 10 days. It's the most wonderful time of the year. Early non-con. A week from today we're in NYC playing the Fighting Chris Mullins. Let the fun begin.

And, before the end of November, NU will then go on to play 3 games in Orlando as well as a home matchup against Boston College in the B1G/ACC challenge.

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Interesting.  We will be their first true road test as well.

They go 6'2" (Devonte' Graham), 6'3" (Malik Newman), 6'5" (Lagerald Vick), 6'8" (Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk) and 7' (Udoka Azubuike) in their starting lineup with 6'5" (Marcus Garrett), 6'8" (Mitch Lightfoot) and 6'10" (Billy Preston) off the bench. Azubuike is a monster at 280 pounds but Mykhailiuk is a guard playing power forward in their starting lineup. I think involving Azubuike in pick-and-rolls with Watson or Palmer and making him guard in space and going at Mykhailiuk would be wise. Newman is the 5-star recruit who transferred from Mississippi State and is a pure scorer. Graham is a great shooter and usually does a good job of distributing the ball without turning it over. Haven't ever been overly impressed by Vick. Lightfoot has been pretty disappointing for them. 5-star recruit Billy Preston is an interior scorer and rebounder. Marcus Garrett is a 6'5" 4-star combo-guard. 

Based on Self's recent history with his 5-star freshman big men, hard to know how much Preston is going to play or how consistent he will be. It's basically a 7-man team because they don't want to play Lightfoot more than they have to. Those starters are going to play a lot of minutes.